Can no longer reset client passwords

battles

On 10/10/2020 at 01:57, battles said:

1. Why keep all this blank space where it used to be? It looks broken.

I would agree - I can remove the blank spacing with a simple CSS hook (on both users and contact pages), but it really needs WHMCS to restructure the output in a future update.

JAnxaZk.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, xyzulu said:

You can't choose the password for the customer however.

THIS is probably the most ridiculous change I've seen in the 8.x series (and trust me, I've seen quite a few).
Choosing a client's password , or resetting it for them (no, sending them a link is not the same thing) is a pretty crucial thing.

You can tell the WHMCS team haven't actually spent time on the phone with customers, at least end hosting customers, because, in the time I did end user support for various companies this came up rather frequently.  

just reset my password to xyz123

It doesn't take that much to verify clients, really, and honestly, given the hosting industry, if you can't do something as simple as this, you're going to get some ugly feedback from your customers

On 10/9/2020 at 7:57 PM, battles said:

1. Why keep all this blank space where it used to be? It looks broken.

Again, agreed. It's obvious that this was an after thought here. Hooks shouldn't be needed to fix the design mess (and yes, it's broken) caused by software developers.

• 3 weeks later...

This change in WHMCS makes things difficult.

We have customers who need a new password to access WHMCS, when we perform the reset, the customer says that he did not receive the email or that the reset process does not work (probably the customer does not know how to do it).

In short, we have no way to save a password for the customer and providing it by phone, chat or email, the customer has no way to enter the WHMCS to make payments.

Honestly, I don't know which brilliant mind thought this change was a good idea.

Please, allow admins write a new password for a user.

While I am ok with this change.. surely you are logging all your outgoing emails. If this is the case you will be able to see if they reset email was delivered to your customer or not. It's rare that email is not delivered unless you have not setup spf/dkim etc and are not using a proper email sending service.

1 hour ago, xyzulu said:

Not at all.. the logs will reveal if Gmail accepted the message. If you have SPF and dkim configured it's likely your message will be in their inbox. Embed a pixel and you can even track of they opened the email.

That will only say if Gmail accepted it. It won't say if it hit the inbox, the spam box or whatever. 
As for embedded pixels? I block those. I'd assume, since that's a common spammer gimmick to validate email addresses, that others do as well.

39 minutes ago, bear said:

As for embedded pixels? I block those. I'd assume, since that's a common spammer gimmick to validate email addresses, that others do as well.

And most webmail clients and other mail clients will block / no load them by default and I'd bet gmail does also as well as gmail might consider it spamish and toss it in the spam folder -- they did at least for a client's signature's linked images .

This might require a couple hooks with an ajax call to handle.  Geez, reinvent the wheel time. 

Tracking whether the email arrived does not solve the problem.

It is no use saying to the customer: "look, I saw that the email arrived in your gmail" - the customer wants the solution, or the access. Gmail accepts the message and then blocks it internally.

And there is not only gmail, there are corporate emails with their own domains and servers with crazy rules, which sometimes block legitimate messages.

In theory, the idea of sending the reset link is great, but in practice, in the real world, several problems occur and generate confusion for the client to access the WHMCS.

The solution is very simple: do not change what already exists in version 8, but add the field so that the admin can manually record a password.

It's really simple to do, so simple that someone is already selling a $ 25 add-on that does that.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand why remove a necessary option for the system administrator.  This makes us look bad to a client, it is ridiculous to try to explain to a client that we are the system administrators but we can't just change his password. 

Are you trying to favor the developer of the "Change User Password" module ?

Why is there no more response from WHMCS in this post?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem here where my client received forgot password reset email but no URL link in the email.

I have hard time when there is no password reset button in admin area. It is really hard I tell you. WHMCS should put it back.

We want the feature back...in next version update...!!!