Jan 2024 Price Change Feedback

stormy

7 hours ago, Damo said:

Have you moved to something alternate?

Therein lies the problem, and why they manage to keep milking us. Most of the competitors, even today, are essentially incomplete or inadequate. Until that changes, we're stuck. With any luck there will come a reckoning with the problem and we can finally have something reasonable. 
Of course, the increases across all the properties that are owned by the folks that own this are also increasing, so good luck escaping it. Becoming the EIG of hosting software....

Personally I don't mind the price increases as I see it as a natural part of business.  And let's face it, the entire world's inflation has gone mad, salaries are up, power bills are up etc... I'm sure you yourselves have put your prices up in the last 18 months (and if not, why not)?

What really irks me, is that WHMCS has provided little to zero development over many years.  There are literally thousands of "feature requests", bug reports and things that could be improved swiftly.  None of this seems to be any kind of priority for WHMCS - they just do nothing.  Their support team - while polite - often copy / paste canned messages, "oh sorry, our software can't do that". 

The admin "upgrade" they rolled out last year was a downgrade in my opinion.  We literally had to write dozens of hooks to bring back all of the functionality they removed.

Honestly, if they want to put prices up - so long as it's reasonable - I'm sure most people won't object SO LONG AS they provide us with some actual value for our ongoing patronage - improvements, additions and better roadmaps.

It won't make a difference, but the pricing tiers they've decided on basically punish success while it doesn't adversely affect the overhead the software deals with. They'd have gotten a bit more respect (albeit with less instant profit) if they'd instead found a way to have the base price at x, server provisioning a small addon cost and so on. Not everyone needs the 800 pound gorilla version, but we're all paying the same (if leasing) for everything in it, even if it's not being used. 

Basing it on active clients is a lazy catchall to simply squeeze more out of leases.

9 hours ago, sol2010 said:

Personally I don't mind the price increases as I see it as a natural part of business.  And let's face it, the entire world's inflation has gone mad, salaries are up, power bills are up etc... I'm sure you yourselves have put your prices up in the last 18 months (and if not, why not)?

The 1000-user slab went from 44.95 USD to 59.95 USD
It's an increase of MORE than 30%...
No inflation, no growing salaries may justify such an increase. 

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi all,

Like many companies, we periodically assess the impact of our pricing to ensure we are aligned with the value our products and services deliver as well as with our own cost structure. In addition, this adjustment in pricing allows us to continue to innovate, maintain, and enhance our existing products and services.

When we introduced our tiered license pricing in 2016 we committed to linking our success with the success of businesses using our product. The benefits an automation system like WHMCS provides increase as a business grows through the automation and time saving efficiencies it creates, and far from punishing success our pricing encourages it with a reduced cost-per-client.

We are committed to helping our customer's businesses succeed. In recent times, we have continued our mission to automate and help scale our customers businesses with features, functionality and integrations that improve end user experience, increase opportunities for conversions, and expand support for newer technologies.

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 12:51 PM, WHMCS John said:

far from punishing success our pricing encourages it with a reduced cost-per-client

Really? I'm on the verge of getting past 2,500 clients which will be a SLOW climb. Let's take a look at the actual cost-per-client:

• 2,499 clients: $0.624 cost-per-client, per year. -> with the Business 2,500 licence at $129.95 /mo
  • 2,501 clients: $1.0793 cost-per-client, per year. -> with the Business 5,000 licence at $224.95 /mo

In case the math is not clear, that's more than twice the cost-per-client.

But wait, let's say we're on a roll of sustained growth and we get closer to the next tier:

• 4,000 clients: 0.6749 cost-per-client, per year. -> again with the Business 5,000 licence at $224.95 /mo

It's still MORE expensive than it was for 2,499 clients!

So no, those prices don't have the success of your clients in mind. Prove me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @stormy,

Based on our 2024 pricing, the per-client cost at the top of each tier is as follows:

Plus
$0.1

Professional
$0.08

Business 1,000
$0.06

Business 2,500
$0.05

Business 10,000
$0.04

Business 20,000
$0.03

Business 30,000
$0.03

Business 50,000
$0.02

Business 100,000
$0.001

If you have any further questions about pricing, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Customer Service team directly: https://www.whmcs.com/submit-a-ticket/

1 minute ago, WHMCS John said:

Based on our 2024 pricing, the per-client cost at the top of each tier is as follows:

I know. See my real life figures above. If you want it to be a cash cow, it's fine. If you want to help your customers grow, then it needs more tiers.

@stormy it will always be that when you have these kinds of packages.
If you buy access to an API and the smallest tier is limited to 10.000 requests per month, you will need to upgrade to the second tier - and if you only do 10.001 request per month, each request is going to be a lot more expensive than if you were on the smallest tier.

The only way the price of the average request would be smaller, would be to set the price for the second tier lower than the smallest tier - and that makes no sense.

Example:
10.000 API requests costs you 100.00$ (0.01$ per request if you're hitting the limit) - if you only do 1 request, that's 100$.
20.000 API requests costs you 150.00$ (0.0075$ per request if you're hitting the limit) - if you only do 10.001 request, that's 0.0149$ per request.

There's already 7 (public) tiers for WHMCS licenses, ranging between 250 and 10.000 active users. Even if they had a double the amount of pricing tiers, the average price per active client would always be higher at the beginning of a new tier than at the end of the old.

12 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

Even if they had a double the amount of pricing tiers, the average price per active client would always be higher at the beginning of a new tier than at the end of the old

Yes, but it would also be fairer. I don't think the tier "breaking points" are setup with real life examples. The way I see it, the only fair-ish tier would be to change price every 1,000 customers, and that's already a stretch.

If WHMCS were adding value by actually adding highly requested features that were requested years ago instead of outright ignoring them, I could understand the yearly increases, but these increases are obviously nothing more than a money grab by WebPros to satisfy shareholders.

For example, adding support for automatically adding both the IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses to a license for those using a dual IPv4/IPv6 environment.

If an admin installs or reissues a license and logs into WHMCS from IPv4, WHMCS only assigns the servers IPv4 IP address to the license, even if the server also supports IPv6. The next admin to connect using IPv6 then gets an "Invalid License" error.

To resolve this, WHMCS license holders and/or resellers have to submit a ticket to WHMCS licensing to have the IPv6 IP address manually added to a license to avoid the error. It's time consuming and ridiculous at this point.

Yet, ModulesGarden (who uses WHMCS for client management and licensing) adds both the IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses to their product licenses automatically.

If ModulesGarden can figure it out, why can't the developer of WHMCS???

That is just one example. There are many important feature requests that have been ignored, but with every new release we continue to get more and more unwanted Marketplace vendors. 😞

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, WHMCS John said:

Hi all,

Like many companies, we periodically assess the impact of our pricing to ensure we are aligned with the value our products and services deliver as well as with our own cost structure. In addition, this adjustment in pricing allows us to continue to innovate, maintain, and enhance our existing products and services.

When we introduced our tiered license pricing in 2016 we committed to linking our success with the success of businesses using our product. The benefits an automation system like WHMCS provides increase as a business grows through the automation and time saving efficiencies it creates, and far from punishing success our pricing encourages it with a reduced cost-per-client.

We are committed to helping our customer's businesses succeed. In recent times, we have continued our mission to automate and help scale our customers businesses with features, functionality and integrations that improve end user experience, increase opportunities for conversions, and expand support for newer technologies.

Can you stop spreading your bull everywhere John?

Developing and innovating what? your pockets?

If you have developed it so much, then why are the issues for past 6yrs arent fixed yet?

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1909289

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1912253

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1909289&p=10425307&highlight=whmcs+uncaptured#post10425307

Maybe instead ofo shifting the liability onto client by giving stupid reason like "its probably your theme or hook" maybe find a way to debug the issue when it was replicated on even standard installation.

Stop being lazy ass and actually give a worth while update and fix bugs

There are over 1000s of feature requested - https://requests.whmcs.com/

with over 100s of upvotes

But instead what features dowe get?

NONE. Because the last completed feature was in 2021. And whats funny is that the feature that was llast completed belonged to aWHMCS, which is not evenupdated since 2016.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whmcs.awhmcs2

And then you guys go ahead and up the price whille giving no benefit.

Have i missed anything @brian! @Kian

• 2 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @sonuyos,

I appreciate it is frustrating when software doesn't operate the way that you would expect.

The threads you've highlighted here represent a tiny proportion of the tens of thousands of Stripe payment successfully transacted through WHMCS installations every week, so are not indicative of a wider defect in the WHMCS Stripe integration out-of-the-box.

I am pleased to have worked with you personally on your ticket and narrow down the cause of the issue to some specific customisations present on your WHMCS instances. Due to these not being code that we created, maintain or support we are regrettably unable to debug into them. The next step is for you to temporarily remove them one-by-one to identify which one is causing the checkout process to stop before the Payment Intent can be captured.

We are always looking for opportunities to complete feature ideas submitted by our users. In recent years we have delivered some of the most top-voted ideas of all time, including:

Plus more features based on feedback from other channels such as in direct conversation with our partners, all with the aim of helping Webpros users compete with other SaaS hosting providers (eg. specalised Wordpress hosting, Shoppify/Wix etc).

On 2/29/2024 at 5:54 PM, WHMCS John said:

We are always looking for opportunities to complete feature ideas submitted by our users. In recent years we have delivered some of the most top-voted ideas of all time, including:

Plus more features based on feedback from other channels such as in direct conversation with our partners, all with the aim of helping Webpros users compete with other SaaS hosting providers (eg. specalised Wordpress hosting, Shoppify/Wix etc).

So just to get this right, the one update that was requested and u did provided last yr was the one that is directly linked to a paid subscription to your own sister company?

And the rest 4 that u linked are the ones that u provided are 3 yrs ago.

So u just proved my point that u guys are not providing any user requested feature till it suits ur pockets?

41 minutes ago, sonuyos said:

u guys are not providing any user requested feature till it suits ur pockets?

... and why the heck would they?
If you had the option to a) make more money or b) not make more money, what would you do?

In your case, you'd obviously spend a lot of your companies money investigating why a very small amount of your users are running into issues on modified versions of your software because that's the right thing to do... Right?

From what I can gather about the Uncaptured Stripe Payments issues, noone has been able to replicate the issue on a non-modified version of WHMCS.
We had the issue years ago. I don't remember what fixed it, but we removed a lot of custom code that were no longer needed. The only time we have uncaptured payments now is when an order is marked as fraud.