Just got the email - going from $45 a month to $850 a month - What are you all migrating to?

Message added by WHMCS John,

For discussion about price changes effective from Jan 2024, please use this thread:

11 minutes ago, ravex said:

.... but next time they might just say that owned licenses are now cancelled, and if you want to continue to use WHMCS, the software, you need to pay monthly!

Your WHMCS owned license will continue to function as it does today. You may continue to run your WHMCS installation using the owned license for as long as you would like.

so I will do that on principle too

21 minutes ago, ravex said:

How is it too much effort?

Ballpark figure: I believe migrating to a different CP will cost us around 2560 development hours, do the math.
I can believe that Blesta can import WHMCS data. But data is not the issue when you are using around 25 modules, some custom made. We have even build an API around WHMCS for our customers to use..

Edit: Don't even get me started on Blesta's support for Registrars.

Edited by Mark

5 minutes ago, PlotHost said:

Were you able to import everything - tickets, account details, servers, paypal subscriptions etc with their tool?

I didn't use the tool, I didn't have many clients, services, or invoices and so I migrated everything by hand. I have however asked on the Blesta Discord if someone who has used the import tool can come and answer that for you.

5 minutes ago, PlotHost said:

Their page https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/WHMCS+5.2+-+7.2 didn't change - WHMCS 5.2 to 7.2

They have a copy of the updated tool on their forums, I would post a link but I suspect it will be moderated, but the thread can be found in General -> News. The updated tool will be bundled with 5.1, which is entering beta very shortly I believe.

We are using all almost all opensource solution ( no more monthly fees !!! ) :

If bot can not answer, we derive to chat,
If chat operator can not answer,  a ticket is opened.  We aim to avoid an email ticket asking how to configure pop3 or dummy questions

Telegram + Chat + Bot + AI  + Whatsapp integration = www.livehelperchat.com
Knowledge = bookstackapp.com
CRM  = ESPOcrm.com
Calendar = https://easyappointments.org/
Tickets   = www.
helpy.io

Automatic Invoicing - Payments - Integration with servers... =  MIGRATING TO WISECP only $ 14,  has same hooks points, almost the same features than whmcs, some missing and a much better core multicurrency system.

12 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Aren't you just postponing the inevitable to a later future date? 😂

I can wait ... I'm pretty sure the new pricing model for owned license holder will not work for long ...
it's a logical conclusion If whmcs wants continue to exist they shouldn't act like russian mafia does

3 hours ago, cluster said:

I'm pretty sure the new pricing model for owned license holder will not work for long ...

It's likely to increase, as it did for cPanel. They will not reverse this plan, and will make every effort to squeeze a bit more with each change.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, ravex said:

They have a copy of the updated tool on their forums, I would post a link but I suspect it will be moderated, but the thread can be found in General -> News. The updated tool will be bundled with 5.1, which is entering beta very shortly I believe.

I found it. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, brian! said:

only if you get your license direct from WHMCS and can login into the members area.

My bad indeed! I did not notice the log-in prompt (cause I was a logged in dumb dumb).

On 6/3/2021 at 3:21 AM, cluster said:

I can wait ... I'm pretty sure the new pricing model for owned license holder will not work for long ...
it's a logical conclusion If whmcs wants continue to exist they shouldn't act like russian mafia does

For WHMCS or for owned license holders?

WHMCS is moving to a subscription model. If anything, if they see a huge impact to their base or competition they will probably lower temporarily the monthly fees but it's very unlikely they will revert to the old owned license model.

Sorry, but unlimited accounts and owned WHMCS software is being phased out. This was planned probably for years. I don't think they have ever reverted a decision before when it comes to pricing. If you are expecting that, you might be on for a long waiting time...

39 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

For WHMCS or for owned license holders?

WHMCS is moving to a subscription model. If anything, if they see a huge impact to their base or competition they will probably lower temporarily the monthly fees but it's very unlikely they will revert to the old owned license model.

Sorry, but unlimited accounts and owned WHMCS software is being phased out. This was planned probably for years. I don't think they have ever reverted a decision before when it comes to pricing. If you are expecting that, you might be on for a long waiting time...

Yeah, even a temporary panic shouldn't be trusted. I've spoken to many who have done or are in the process of migration- people rightly feel hurt my the complete disregard of what you'd expect from WHMCS in regards to honouring promises that enabled them to get to where they are. 

I'm old enough to remember when it was almost begged for you to buy owned licenses. It was "to help them develop" and now they don't need those customers now. Shameful in my opinion but such is life! 

I don't see any value added in 8.2, I don't see any value in their support and I don't see why they should be trusted to provide services to us

45 minutes ago, UnwilfulExpenditure said:

I don't see any value added in 8.2, I don't see any value in their support and I don't see why they should be trusted to provide services to

Excluding bug fixes, I have not seen much "value" in anything beyond 7.10 (except maybe using Stripe correctly) and would even say earlier versions in 7 branch could be ignored - again beyond bug fixes.  Only exceptions would be to the module developer side of things. 

Edited by steven99

7 minutes ago, steven99 said:

Excluding bug fixes, I have not seen much "value" in anything beyond 7.10 (except maybe using Stripe correctly) and would even say earlier versions in 7 branch could be ignored - again beyond bug fixes.  Only exceptions would be to the module developer side of things. 

Stripe was already working even on v6 with a third party module before WHMCS supported it which took almost 2 years if I remember correctly because WHMCS partnered with their own payment system and as such it was not in their best interest to favor competition that never offered them a commission. Eventually they had to support it because everyone was using it.

53 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

Stripe was already working even on v6 with a third party module before WHMCS supported it which took almost 2 years if I remember correctly because WHMCS partnered with their own payment system and as such it was not in their best interest to favor competition that never offered them a commission. Eventually they had to support it because everyone was using it.

Bit like the dashboard widget in 8.2.... now someone's made it, so can whmcs 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stormy said:

I wonder if there's a way to have a WHMCS install in "archive" mode, with no automation enabled. Or maybe make all clients inactive?

depends what you mean by automation - a WHMCS will no cron running wouldn't perform the automation tasks.... but if an order was made, it would still generate an invoice etc.

so as I say, it depends exactly what you need to do to the install to prevent events occurring.

6 minutes ago, brian! said:

depends what you mean by automation - a WHMCS will no cron running wouldn't perform the automation tasks.... but if an order was made, it would still generate an invoice etc.

so as I say, it depends exactly what you need to do to the install to prevent events occurring.

I'm thiking of just closing it to the public and keeping it as an archive of "the state of things", for safekeeping. And migrating away of course.