Need Web Host Suggestions - SiteGround no longer supporting WHMCS in Feb, 2021

benneth

If you haven't heard... SiteGround is deciding to push their own Web Toolkit, and eliminate WHMCS application support this February.

The impact on my business means I have to migrate my entire client base away from SiteGround in the next 2 months, which is a bit stressful.

For solution's sake... Can anybody recommend a suitable web host that:

• Prioritizes WHMCS application support (has it on their roadmap for a long time)
  • Has kick-ass support
  • Is based in North America (Canada preferred, US is okay)
  • Allows me to take a snapshot of the entire cPanel, and export it regularly (on SiteGround, they restricted WHM backup tools big time).
    • This would allow for easy server transfers out from the host, especially if you needed to move your clients to a new host for any reason...

Based on preliminary research, I've heard good things about:

• InMotion
  • A2 Hosting
  • HostPapa

TIA for any help or suggestions. Looking forward to a long (and successful) migration process.

Yes, check out: https://www.siteground.com/blog/new-client-area-and-site-tools/

Also here's the email I received today:

SUBJECT: ACTION REQUIRED: Please confirm Cloud Hosting usage without WHMCS, or your account may be terminated

BODY OF MSG: 

Hello,

We have detected WHMCS billing software installed on your cloud account(s) blahhost.ca. We would like to inform you that after February 1, 2021 WHMCS will no longer be compatible with SiteGround Cloud Hosting services. If you do NOT actively use and/or WILL NOT need WHMCS in the future we kindly ask you to inform us through the link below. Otherwise your cloud account will be terminated on February 1, 2021.

Why do we stop supporting WHMCS?
We are in the process of migrating all our clients from cPanel to our in-house built Site Tools. As part of this process we have evaluated whether we should integrate WHMCS in Site Tools. A very small number of our Cloud clients currently use WHMCS. At the same time, integration of the software into Site Tools will require significant development resources, which cannot be justified by its current client adoption rate. That is why we would not be supporting WHMCS on our Site Tools-based service.

What are your options?
Confirm you agree to use SiteGround cloud service without WHMCS

If you would like to continue using your Cloud account without WHMCS, you must confirm your choice by submitting the form linked below before February 1, 2021.

CONFIRM SERVICE CONTINUATION
Otherwise your cloud account will be terminated on February 1, 2021

If you consider WHMCS as a critical service for your operations and are not willing to continue using our services without it, please take this email as a notice for service termination with an effective date February 1, 2021. If we have not received confirmation that you would like to keep your account without WHMCS, we will terminate your cloud hosting service on February 1, 2021. Any unused prepaid fees will be refunded upon service termination

We would like to apologize in advance for any inconvenience caused by this decision and we sincerely hope we could continue working together!

Best regards,
The SiteGround Team

Edited by benneth

11 minutes ago, wsa said:

couple big hosting company doing that now

Which hosting companies have you heard about? Or just in general.

I really hope this doesn't impact WHMCS too severely... I love my WHMCS. 

InMotion seems like a good spot to go so far...

As requested, I have confirmed that SiteGround will discontinue support of WHM and WHMCS effective February 1, 2021.

I guess they made that call anyways...

But let's get back to the main point! 

Which web host providers are a suitable replacement for SiteGround?

edit: I can't believe I'm saying this... but even SG support encourages me to migrate elsewhere (since WHMCS is not in the picture). Dang.

Edited by benneth

I'm also in the same boat and am eagerly following this thread.  SG was great in the beginning and then took a turn for the worse a year or two ago.  I followed up with them and they are refusing to budge.

I'm also feeling stressed about the challenges involved in migrating my client base without downtime, SSL certs, emails, etc.

I am currently looking into other providers of Reseller hosting that are WHMCS/CPanel friendly:

• LiquidWeb
  • HostNine
  • HostDime
  • Veerotech

I think I need to hire someone to do this for me, as I have zero experience doing a migration like this.

I posted a ticket with WHMCS about it and this is what they said:

Hello Ian,

Thank you for contacting WHMCS.

I am sorry to hear Siteground is no longer supporting WHMCS. Unfortunately hosting is not part of the services we offer. I wouldn't be able to recommend a specific web host to use, but we do partner with HostGator, HostDime, HostNine and Surpass to offer free WHMCS licenses to their clients. I would recommend fully researching a web host that will fit your needs.

Regarding migration, we do offer a Transfer service. This no-downtime transfer service includes:

All of your files, including customizations.
All WHMCS data and configurations.
Cron job automation settings.
Email piping configurations.
The full details for the all of our services can be found here: https://www.whmcs.com/services/
Once ordered, we'll send you an email letting you know what details we need from you to perform the service.

Additionally, if you would like to do the migration on your own we have a step by step guide for how to move a WHMCS install to a new location @ http://docs.whmcs.com/Licensing#Moving_WHMCS, basically it just involves copying all the files and the database from the current install to the new site, then reissuing your license from the client area to update it to be allowed to run on the new environment.

Please let me know if I can assist you with any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

20 hours ago, benneth said:

(on SiteGround, they restricted WHM backup tools big time)

Why ?   We have never used their services but surely would like to know more on this... 

How can a host block clients / resellers to backup their accounts ?   Then how the users or resellers are expected to take regular DR backups of their accounts ??

If they don't allow backups why do we buy from them is MY Primary Question ? 

Edited by VirtualWorldGlobal

23 minutes ago, VirtualWorldGlobal said:

Why ?   We have never used their services but surely would like to know more on this... 

How can a host block clients / resellers to backup their accounts ?   Then how the users or resellers are expected to take regular DR backups of their accounts ??

If they don't allow backups why do we buy from them is MY Primary Question ? 

No root access, you'd have to do individual cpanel backups if you wanted to export your hosting business... sounds fun right? Can't use the built in cpanel backups or otherwise.

Not even a virtual CLI for SSH is offered with their VPS.

They have 7 day full hosting backups, and that's about it.

Edited by benneth

@benneth  then why we buy their service there must be some catch ? 

DR Backups are very important. If you want to move services to another host  during any disaster what do you do wait for them to be back online ? 

Even if they don't go down still as a customer I have the right to keep my own backups in 2020 we cannot ignore this fact.

Thanks, @Kian.

Siteground has ditched cpanel and whmcs and won't allow installation or provide support in case of issues.

It would be good idea for members to discuss comparable providers that is at least as reliable as SG once was.

I for one can't find any provider that can offer and support cpanel on GCP.

@rdomains 

1. You want to use GCP for hosting WHMCS or WP ? 

2. What is the actual requirement you are looking for and budget ?

3. Do you need load balanced WP ?   DDoS Protection, , Litespeed , Proactive defense mechanism along with Antivirus & Malware cleaner with cPanel ?

4. Are you willing to Host WP with AWS ?

Thanks 

13 hours ago, rdomains said:

I for one can't find any provider that can offer and support cpanel on GCP.

7 hours ago, VirtualWorldGlobal said:

@rdomains 

1. You want to use GCP for hosting WHMCS or WP ? 

2. What is the actual requirement you are looking for and budget ?

3. Do you need load balanced WP ?   DDoS Protection, , Litespeed , Proactive defense mechanism along with Antivirus & Malware cleaner with cPanel ?

4. Are you willing to Host WP with AWS ?

Thanks 

Hey @VirtualWorldGlobal

Thanks for asking:

1. Wanna use GCP for hosting clients' WP accounts provisioned via WHMCS

2. Clients using WHMCS to sign up for WP Hosting >> After sign up, clients' WP hosting automatically provisioned on GCP. Currently doing that via SG/cPanel. Budget is same as what SG charges for their cloud packages.

3. Yes, all of that PLUS 24/7 tech support 
  4. Not really, but can look into that. Please do share your feedback on AWS too in addition to addressing the points above.
  5. Where are you hosting whmcs and client sites right now?

Stay safe,

Frazer

Edited by rdomains
missed a point

Might have a better success with Plesk on GCP .  https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/obsidian/deployment-guide/plesk-installation-and-upgrade-on-public-cloud-services/installing-plesk-on-google-cloud.78806/ ha some details on doing that.   A colleague has been looking at gridpane to do WP specific hosting but they don't have an API as far as I have been able to find.