Unsubscribing Not Removing From Mailchimp

Hello

I've noticed that in 7.5.1 (not sure about other versions as i never tested it in the past) that when someone unsubscribes from marketing emails that it does not remove them from the email list in mailchimp.

In the module log it sends this to mailchimp

[opt_in_status] =>

when originally subscribing it sends

[opt_in_status] => 1

so how would it know a blank command means unsubscribe? Should it not send

[opt_in_status] => 0

I've heard from other users of whmcs who confirm this issue with me as well.

I would think that its important (especially with GDPR now in effect) that when someone clicks to no longer get emails that it actually takes them off the list.

Edited by WebsiteIntegrations

So, digging into this a bit further, I've found we have a case logged under the id CORE-11819

In essence, there is a limitation of the MailChimp Ecommerce API, thus the un-subscribe is not passed back.  The Development team are currently working to identify a workaround by making use of other API's in the meantime, clients will need unsubscribe using the links in any mail chimp emails.

I've tied this community post to the case so it can be updated with further updates

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

So, digging into this a bit further, I've found we have a case logged under the id CORE-11819

In essence, there is a limitation of the MailChimp Ecommerce API, thus the un-subscribe is not passed back.  The Development team are currently working to identify a workaround by making use of other API's in the meantime, clients will need unsubscribe using the links in any mail chimp emails.

I've tied this community post to the case so it can be updated with further updates

It's not that much difficult to change the Mailchimp api as they already providing such facilities to Subscribe and Unsubscribe. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Technical Analyst II

I am afraid that this case is still in development. Without getting into too much technical detail, it requires overhauling the module to use a different API call than the one we are currently using and unfortunately isn't likely to make it for 7.6.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to submit a support ticket and we will be glad to assist.

• 2 months later...

I have whmcs 7.6.1 installed and php version 7.2 , I also found after unsubscribing from clientarea edit account details, the email id not get unsubscribed with mailchimp account . why this happened. The unsubscription takes place when whmcs cron ran automatically or how long does it take my email got unsubscribed from mailchimp account. Please explain.

• 1 year later...