WHMCS is not working with PHP 5.5.x and ionCube 4.5.0

Scolpy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The new release( v5.3.8 )still not supporting PHP 5.5.x as they told in the link you provided.

You better reread the tweets

gear_bigger.gifWHMCS ‏@whmcs

@BoneVM With our next release we'll be increasing our minimum PHP requirement to 5.3 so that we can begin supporting PHP 5.5

Edited by mlew2

I'd suspect the tweet was referring to a major (significant) release, and not just maintenance. Bless English and terminology. I do find it odd though that information is told on Twitter instead of a tweet referring the reader to a post/page on whmcs.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this? IonCube Loader version 4.6 was released in April and supports PHP 5.5.

While we're at it, please remove support for PHP 5.2. Anybody running a billing solution on a product that's been EoL for three and a half years needs to have their head examined.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on the same situation. My shared server was updated like 5 months ago. I'm still using php53 thanks to the .htaccess setup that allows me that, but my server keeps bugging me that I must change it.

Any sound from WHMCS on a new release that will help us?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any update on this? I'm sure there are many who are keen to update their PHP installations and WHMCS is crucial to our businesses so we've been waiting patiently.

Otherwise, is there a landing page we can go to that will keep us up to date with developments? I guess the most frustrating part is that we've been sitting here months on end with little-to-no reports on progress.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

ionCube just released v4.7.2 which allow to run old scripts(such as WHMCS) with the newer version of PHP(5.5/5.6).

This release extends support for old PHP 5 Encoded files so that they can be run on PHP 5.5 and PHP 5.6, and not only up to PHP 5.4.

Though files designed for PHP 5.0 can now be used with PHP 5.5 and 5.6, files produced for PHP 5.5 and above will deliver the best performance on those versions.

We highly recommend producing / using files that match the target version as closely as possible.

At least we got this solution :)

@Scolpy, yes, finally! I am now running WHMCS on a server with PHP 5.6.3, it works without any problems. So it is solved now, but not thanks to WHMCS, they did nothing to support newer versions of PHP.

Oh boy, look at me. I know that it's so damn easy to switch from one version of a dependency to another without breaking anything.

There's a reason that you can't use PHP 5. It will break things. I'm sure that WHMCS have have put much thought into NOT upgrading before the next big release.

But maybe you should just join the WHMCS team. You surely know what is best for their software.

And yes, I was very sarcastic in most of the post.

Exactly, we need WHMCS to start actioning this because PHP 5.5+ is simply unsupported until they actually push a stable release out, which we've heard nothing about in months so I can only assume we'll be waiting a while longer. I find it surprising that they haven't already, seeing as WHMCS is their primary project.

If I don't hear anything by January I'm switching to something else, I've seen some nice APIs around recently. WHMCS and cPanel are losing relevance these days with all the new languages and frameworks coming out, this isn't helping the situation at all.

If anyone has any information regarding this please let it be known here.

• 2 weeks later...

Will it break things ? According to http://docs.whmcs.com/System_Requirements the only reason stated why PHP 5.5 will not work is "PHP Version 5.5 is not supported at the current time due to Ioncube encoding restrictions.". Surely that means it is safe to use with the new ionCube v4.7.2 ? Would be good for WHMCS to comment on this as at present its very ambiguous.

Will it break things ? According to http://docs.whmcs.com/System_Requirements the only reason stated why PHP 5.5 will not work is "PHP Version 5.5 is not supported at the current time due to Ioncube encoding restrictions.". Surely that means it is safe to use with the new ionCube v4.7.2 ? Would be good for WHMCS to comment on this as at present its very ambiguous.

Setup a dev install and test it ;).

• 1 month later...

Same here after upgrade to PHP 5.5 /public_html/index.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5 and cannot run under PHP 5.5. Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with the ionCube Encoder for either PHP 5.3 or PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5. in Unknown on line 0

• 4 weeks later...

Hey forum goers!

I wanted to reach out on this forum thread and address this scenario.

From a WHMCS standpoint, WHMCS in it's current version only supports PHP 5.4.x down to 5.2.x.

However, with that being said, I would recommend the 5.4.x version of PHP at this time.

The 6.0 version will support PHP 5.5 when it is released.

While there are new updates for IonCube that in theory _backport_ to allow you to achieve running WHMCS 5.3.x on PHP 5.5, this is entirely unsupported.

So if you were to open a ticket, and we cannot determine the cause of the issue and you are running PHP 5.5 on the 5.3.x or older version of WHMCS, we will respectfully ask that you bring your system into a supported versioning to further address the issue.

I have seen WHMCS running on PHP 5.5 in a handful of different scenarios, what the underlying configuration on those setups is unknown to me and I would venture to say they are not all the same.

I cannot say for sure that upgrading your IonCube to the newest version and upgrade PHP to 5.5 will work as we have not tested this and we are not supporting this currently.

6.0 will be the first official WHMCS version to support PHP 5.5.x

Thanks!