WHMCS is not working with PHP 5.5.x and ionCube 4.5.0

Scolpy

Hey,

Today ionCube released v4.5.0 which compatible with PHP 5.5.X.

So I updated my PHP 5.4.x to 5.5.x and installed the new loaders but when I try to access to the Administrator panel I got this error:

Fatal error: The file /home/username/domains/domain.com/private_html/admin/index.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5 and cannot run under PHP 5.5.

Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with either the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.3 or for PHP 5.4. in Unknown on line 0

Please know that before you update to PHP 5.5.x because WHMCS team need to the update WHMCS files in order support the new ionCube loaders.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHMCS will work fine on PHP 5.5.x even with the deprecated MySQL support, it is not before the next major PHP version is released that it will be removed and cause problems.

All that is needed is that WHMCS provide a download of the files encoded with Ioncube encoders for PHP 5.3 or 5.4, currently they have encoded the files with Ioncube encoder for PHP 5.2!

Here is more information: http://forum.ioncube.com/viewtopic.php?p=10113#10113

Version 4.5 loader packages are now available from our Loaders Page (http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php) and include loaders for PHP 5.5.

As previously mentioned, the PHP 5.5 loaders will run PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4 encoded files and are available for Unix-style platforms such as Linux, OS X and FreeBSD.

I hope WHMCS very soon can provide a download of the files that is encoded with Ioncube encoders for PHP 5.3, because that is all that is needed, and we could then upgrade to PHP 5.5 - that is all I am waiting for.

Edited by ditto

hmmmmm 5.3.2 has still the same Error !!! Why you are not able to use a newer Version of Ioncube??

Fatal error: The file /.../.../.../..../whmcsbeta/htdocs/index.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5 and cannot run under PHP 5.5. Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with either the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.3 or for PHP 5.4. in Unknown on line 0

I can't use WHMCS anymore and i think a lot of others also and switch back to php 5.4 is no option.

PHP 5.5 is now over 6 Months stable ;)

Released: 20 Jun 2013

• 1 month later...

There is no need not to update it. All my servers is running PHP 5.5.8 without problems, expept the server wich is running WHMCS wich still is running PHP 5.4.x - and all it takes for WHMCS is so offer files encoded with Ioncube encoders for PHP 5.3 or newer, and it will work on PHP 5.5.x. WHMCS is currently encoding their files with Ioncube encoders for PHP 5.2.x

By the way, PHP 5.6.0alpha1 is now released http://php.net - there is a new major PHP version every 12 months. Please WHMCS, keep up with the times and offer download of files encoded with Ioncube encoders for PHP 5.3.x or newer, so that the ones that like to upgrade to PHP 5.5.x have that possibility.

WHMCS will work fine on PHP 5.5.x even with the deprecated MySQL support, it is not before the next major PHP version is released that it will be removed and cause problems.

It may work on PHP 5.5, but will cause E_DEPRECATED errors that will lead to lots of confusion and tons of support tickets being created.

Edited by SeanP

No, WHMCS does not have to rewrite anything for it to work on PHP 5.5.x. Deprecated is not the same as removed. The MySQL extension will continue to work as before in PHP 5.5.x. You can set your error reporting in PHP the way you want, so that is not a problem. The MySQL extension will not be removed before a future version, like in PHP 5.6 or 5.7. Currently there is no changelog entry that say it is removed in PHP 5.6, so it might be a long time until it happens. Anyway, this is not a problem in PHP 5.5.x. I know this for a fact, as I have upgraded several shared hosting servers to PHP 5.5.x wich is having clients running older CMS of many variants.

- - - Updated - - -

It may work on PHP 5.5, but will cause E_DEPRECATED errors that will lead to lots of confusion and tons of support tickets being created.

You corrected the inccorect statement in your reply after i posted my reply to that. Anyway, E_DEPRECATED errors will not cause confusion as it will not be visible in the web pages, but only in the log files (unless you have your server configured in a inappropriate way.

I think the fear is that people will get the E_DEPRECATED errors, and will put in support tickets and complain their WHMCS install is having issues. I know you can turn off the errors, but there will be a majority that don't know that and will just think they are having issues when they see the errors. I agree it would be nice if they would allow it to run in PHP 5.5.x, by updating the Ioncube encoders, but I'm guessing this is what is holding them back.

Edited by SeanP

The default on most server setup is to not dispaly errors like this.

I totally agree and wish they would do it. However, anything that causes any kind of errors, can lead to mass confusion because technical skill levels vary among their customers. Being WHMCS has so many customers, you know there will be a ton of people who have their PHP error reporting setup to throw these errors.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

The primary concern is that PHP5.5 deprecates MySQL support (http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration55.deprecated.php).

This is a functionality that WHMCS currently relies on.

Deprecated != Removed - MySQL still works fine, just generates an E_DEPRECATED on every database connection in 5.5.

The public release (even the release candidates) of 5.3.3 could have been encoded for 5.3, letting it work with 5.3.x - 5.5.x

Since all that is required is the code to be encoded again and packaged, could we not persuade someone to do this?

If you have reservations, release it to the beta group first!

I am posting as I use Zend Server, and they just released support for 5.5.

I would think more than some number of questions about deprecated messages (if you're a host who needs to contact your billing software vendor about a deprecated error message then I feel really badly for your customers), would be losing support for PHP 5.2, which I assume a lot of people still have their install running on. Though I do agree 5.3.3 would have been a great place to switch over and make WHMCS require 5.3.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a reason why we need to run it. My quarterly PCI scan failed today because of the following error:

CVE 2011-4718

PHP version prior to 5.5.2 is prone to a vulnerability,

which can be exploited to conduct session hijacking attacks.

SSL Module "subjectAltNames" NULL Byte Handling Vulnerability

It appears there is not a patch to fix this error therefore we have to upgrade PHP to 5.5.2 in order to keep our required PCI compliance. If anyone knows a workaround I'm happy to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are 4 weeks away from Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS being released and atm it comes with PHP v5.5.9. All my Debian 7 and Archlinux servers and VPS installations come with v5.5 by default so I have to custom build a v5.4 and setup up a separate nginx on it's own IP just to run WHMCS.

I also want to develop modules and add-ons to replace the need for a separate panel system and I have no desire to use anything less than PHP 5.5 (anonymous functions etc).

I certainly hope WHMCS are already developing for PDO and PHP 5.6 next year otherwise I'll be switching to Blesta as soon as they have competing registrar modules.

• 3 months later...