Just got the email - going from $45 a month to $850 a month - What are you all migrating to?

Message added by WHMCS John,

For discussion about price changes effective from Jan 2024, please use this thread:

On the DirectAdmin Website, under "Extras", they are mentioning two similar billing solutions:  Blesta,  and the relative new WiseCP.  https://www.wisecp.com

With WiseCP you can even get a free version with up to 25 endcustomers.   I just did a testinstallation, and can say that it looks like a much more better designed WHMCS, and its easier to setup, whereas it has pretty almost the same functions.   I think I will stay with WiseCP.

Loyal/pleased customer since converting to WHMCS in 2006. 

Very disheartened by today's email.

From what I'm understanding, my costs are going to go up almost 500%.

I'm incredibly disappointed and hope there's going to be some re-consideration as the pricing isn't realistic for some use cases.

8 minutes ago, charlottezweb said:

I'm incredibly disappointed and hope there's going to be some re-consideration as the pricing isn't realistic for some use cases.

There won't be! Best to start investigating other billing platforms and start planning a migration before July,

This is really crazy. We will switch to blesta. We could live with a price increase of a couple percent, but 450% is ridiculous. 

And these eciting plans wthey have, they cannot even deliver a corretly working Credit invoie module or a modult so i can send all my customers one invoice permonth i have to buy a extra plugin to have this aranged. Really WHMCS going the Cpanel way was expected when you were taken over. We'll switch to and other system which also support European Payments and domain registrues.

This is really crazy. We will switch to blesta. We could live with a price increase of a couple percent, but 450% is ridiculous. 

Well, 450% increase is great, imagine if you had owned license and paid 8,25 USD / mo for updates, and have 10.000+ clients price is increased to 849 USD.

That is 100+ times more, 10.000 % price increase... I never heard for such price increase on this planet.  😁

Edited by dexus

4 hours ago, ravex said:

How on earth is it illegal?

Breach of contract, for starters.  Failure to provide a product as promised. Deceptive business practices. 

The advertised Owned License product when I bought it from WHMCS was for "Unlimited Clients, Unlimited Staff, Unlimited Products, No Linkback, Unlimited Email/Ticket Support*, 1 Year Included*" The asterisk caveat stated: "Owned licenses include 1 Year Support & Updates access with the initial purchase. After the first year, support & updates access can be optionally renewed to maintain access at a cost of just $44.95 per year."  NOWHERE did they mention that the lifetime owed license would be discontinued in future. NOWHERE did they mention that WHMCS would suddenly refuse to provide updates and support unless we paid extortionate monthly fees that cost more per year than their so-called "One Time" lifetime license ever did.

Yesterday they (WHMCS) sent me a email for paying for Support on my owned lic!

So today I paid them for that invoice, JUST  about 30 minutes after this whole mess started.   Well six hours later they gave me a full refund! 

If that's not a big F*ck You, then  I don't know what is.

Its time we move on

What I find a little disappointing is absolutely zero customer loyalty appreciation. 

ie some of us have been using WHMCS for around 20 years, and while they offered owned licenses, we (many of us) were still paying yearly support plans. This new change offers those on owned licenses no discount, promotion or even a free hat 😉

Im using whmcs for 15 years, i have perpetual licence, obviously.

in that time the only compitition was hostbillapp, which turn his bussiness model to bigger customers, its a very solid rock solution if you can pay it.

Plesk buys cpanel.
And then Cpanel buy buycpanel.com , and they closed it.
Cpanel increase his licence model,  from 20 $ to 150 $ each server in our case, and  obviosly we moved to Directadmin for hosting and install Cwp for dedicated (free solution).

bye bye cpanel in several servers,

Cpanel buys  whmcs, and you see what we will do

I will create a post with alternatives, but Blesta is 99 % opensource code, i love that.

Edited by altomarketing

19 minutes ago, altomarketing said:

Im using whmcs for 15 years, i have perpetual licence, obviously.

in that time the only compitition was hostbillapp, which turn his bussiness model to bigger customers, its a very solid rock solution if you can pay it.

Plesk buys cpanel.
And then Cpanel buy buycpanel.com , and they closed it.
Cpanel increase his licence model,  from 20 $ to 150 $ each server in our case, and  obviosly we moved to Directadmin for hosting and install Cwp for dedicated (free solution).

bye bye cpanel in several servers,

Cpanel buys  whmcs, and you see what we will do

I will create a post with alternatives, but Blesta is 99 % opensource code, i love that.

You should look at Interworx control panel. I highly recommend it over cPanel and DirectAdmin. I have been using it for as long as I have used WHMCS now, about 13 years. That will be changing very soon though.

Have been using WHMCS since 2007, this price hike is just a bridge too far so sadly will be looking at alternatives. They obviously don't know the meaning of 'Grandfathered', so much for loyalty. I wouldn't mind, but was still more than happy paying the yearly renewal for updates. Appalling.

Support and Updates was part of a legacy "Owned" license type which was removed from sale in 2016 and licenses grandfathered. As of 6th April 2021, Support and Updates have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Edited by rickenbacker

28 minutes ago, Dragoni25 said:

WHMCS should be sued (class action)

As much as you are upset by WHMCS actions.. have they really broken the law? (rhetorical question) I'm not happy either, this is poor customer treatment at the least (especially to the owned license holders), but have they really taken anything away they had promised? 

Anyway.. no need for a legal debate... I hear in some countries you can sure for anything you like.. but is is really worth the stress and money (it goes to the lawyers mostly)?

Edited by xyzulu

We are using this software for a decade already. Always paid support and updates. Most of our services are one time fee, some even free. In 10 years we collected a huge number of "customer" many of them did not give us any penny as profit. 

What shall we do now? Yes, we can still use the owned license as much as we want anyway shortly it will be impossible to update thus a move will be mandatory.

Obviously will not be an option to pay 3600/year

Very disappointed...

/clients.php has an accurate figure of active/inactive clients. You can use the slider to include/exclude inactive clients.

Have you checked how many active customers you have? 

Also /configauto.php do you have it set like this (default 8.1.3)?:

image.thumb.png.e691b6f074974c69cb19a437ade3ff3a.png

What's the difference between Active and Inactive clients apart from this?

At the time of writing, hiding of inactive clients has been implemented to the following areas of the product:

• Clients List
  • Products/Services Lists
  • Addons List
  • Domains List
  • Intelligent Search
  • Selected client dropdown lists

5 minutes ago, opso said:

Yes, config is correct. Anyway a lot of customers are marked as active because have active products even if profits are zero.

Really? Is it just a cosmetic change? There must be something else.

p.s. Sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm using owned license since 2007 or 2008 so I have no idea what's the difference between active and inactive.

10 minutes ago, opso said:

I am quite confident there is no functional difference between the two.

I don't think there is any functional difference.

11 minutes ago, opso said:

Anyway I am sure they will implement something to avoid license circumvention.

there must be an internal db query - surely it can't rely on what the active clients count is...

12 hours ago, alc said:

Breach of contract, for starters.  Failure to provide a product as promised. Deceptive business practices. 

The advertised Owned License product when I bought it from WHMCS was for "Unlimited Clients, Unlimited Staff, Unlimited Products, No Linkback, Unlimited Email/Ticket Support*, 1 Year Included*" The asterisk caveat stated: "Owned licenses include 1 Year Support & Updates access with the initial purchase. After the first year, support & updates access can be optionally renewed to maintain access at a cost of just $44.95 per year."  NOWHERE did they mention that the lifetime owed license would be discontinued in future. NOWHERE did they mention that WHMCS would suddenly refuse to provide updates and support unless we paid extortionate monthly fees that cost more per year than their so-called "One Time" lifetime license ever did.

So show me what specific law they have broken!

3 minutes ago, ravex said:

So show me what specific law they have broken!

also, I think their terms have always been governed by English law, rather than US law - so that might make a class action case a little more complicated.