Is it safe now to upgrade to 8.0 or should wait longer?

sonuyos

have you got a dev install where you can test it first ? with you using a custom theme, if it were me, i'd rather check first than just upgrade and having to deal with any consequences.

have you checked whether any addons you're using have been updated for, or confirmed working with, v8 ?

have you checked whether any default features you're currently using haven't been removed from v8 ?

i'm not sensing an imminent v8.0.3 being released...

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi all,

Version 8.0 is a major new version, which means there are a number of backwards incompatible changes, so testing that any customisations will work before updating your live installation is strongly advised.

Please check out our blog post for some suggestions on how to do this: Guide to Upgrading to WHMCS v8.0

After reading all the issues here, I would say wait. Until 8.1 or 8.2 at least. There are many novel changes which change completely how some things work.

I would give it 6 months before it goes stable. This would not be such a big issue if wasn't that WHMCS deprecates older versions rather fast which means you cannot stay on 7 for a year or more.

WHMCS may be dependent on some of us using the latest version and finding any bugs that have not been identified in beta testing.

If everyone had waited half a year, I think it would have taken a very long time before all versions became stable.

So, someone has to do the "job"!

On 10/17/2020 at 6:27 PM, web2008 said:

If everyone had waited half a year, I think it would have taken a very long time before all versions became stable.

Yeah, WHMCS should do their job. They use their own software - but I hardly doubt they would ever use the beta themselves.

Heck, they don't even use v8 yet! They don't even have enough faith in their own software to use the latest version 😅

5 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

Heck, they don't even use v8 yet! They don't even have enough faith in their own software to use the latest version 😅

Yes100% true that tell you something. when they release v7x they upgrade they system fast 

I would wait. We have registered clients that are unable to respond to support tickets because the system does not recognize their email as a registered user, so their emails / support responses are rejected..... this means we are having to resort to using email to support our clients.  WHMCS has acknowledged the bug and said it would be fixed in a future release. 

Edited by tracedef

5 hours ago, Kian said:

100% agree. For me April 30th 2021 is the the right date for upgrade. No hurry.

whmcs-update.png.3cb97798658668ae9d71f3dd84a9260a.png

I personally consider the dates way too short for a business software. Even open source software's offer at least a year before deprecating a previous version. April 2021 is only 6 months ahead. If you add to this that WHMCS takes months to fix bugs, this makes it very, very troublesome when new major features are released. I have no idea why WHMCS is trying to push times this quick when they clearly are aware, they are not equally fast at fixing bugs and issues. If you ask me, it should be a minimum of 3 years before a major version is considered EOL.

Calling those dates Long Term is wrong. Long term is usually considered years, not months.

My point is that officially you are supposed to move out of version 7 before 6 months. Add to this that you have custom themes, external third party and addons, and many code changes you need to also apply, besides making all the test and making sure the new version works, and changing your support docs to match the new features, and many other things.

5 hours ago, tracedef said:

I would wait. We have registered clients that are unable to respond to support tickets because the system does not recognize their email as a registered user, so their emails / support responses are rejected..... this means we are having to resort to using email to support our clients.  WHMCS has acknowledged the bug and said it would be fixed in a future release. 

And this type of bugs really hurt your company and your customers expect something like that to be fixed in days, not weeks. One reason I prefer not to immediately upgrade to new releases.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, web2008 said:

WHMCS may be dependent on some of us using the latest version and finding any bugs that have not been identified in beta testing.

This is why you have a test installation. First, WHMCS should not assume its users are going to test the software. As a software company they should implement their own lists of checks, you can even automate this and replicate every test when a new release comes out. Besides that, they can also do manual quality checks and tests. Sure, the real bugs are always discovered on production, but some bugs are so easy to pick that sometimes I have the sense they personally did not even tested something by clicking on it. I'm not talking here about hard bugs, but things like missing translation strings that I notice in the code, and they don't, eventually they replace it with the proper string. Things that take a minute to fix.

Someone must do the job of testing? Yes, but not me. WHMCS. This is not a free software. We pay for it, why should I or any other customer invest its valuable time to test the software? It's not as WHMCS is paying you for that, they don't even want to make a bug report system for us customers, and this is something we asked for years. Reporting issues is not precisely easy when you must constantly discuss with someone if something is or not a bug. 🙄

You also say that if everyone waited half a year, it would take a long time for a version to become stable. With that argument you are assuming that new versions are not stable. This is a disaster for production installations. Then it means the software is not stable and should stay in beta. For me, it feels that when WHMCS announces a new major version as stable, then it's really beta, and after a month of real people using it becomes stable. This means their beta program is not really working as it such since major bugs are passing to the final release or not enough people are testing the beta releases.

You also realize that not even WHMCS is using v8 on its own site? This means, even they wait some time before upgrading.

Edited by yggdrasil

8.0.3 is here, go for it production beta testers, having fun seeing how many people love to jump into the fire for no reason. In the good old days Matt would give 3months free support and updates to  production beta tester. No people just do it for free as they are bored

2 hours ago, AndyW said:

8.0.3 is here, go for it production beta testers, having fun seeing how many people love to jump into the fire for no reason. In the good old days Matt would give 3months free support and updates to  production beta tester. No people just do it for free as they are bored

It means they still care. If we didn't, that would be sad news for WHMCS as people have moved on. I still wait to 8.1 at least but that is just me.