Is it safe now to upgrade to 8.0 or should wait longer?

sonuyos

5 hours ago, AndyW said:

48 fixes in 8.0.3 and +100 bugs in stable version 8.0.0 ! This is beta testing

i'll guarantee that there is at least one existing bug that hasn't been fixed in v8.0.3 - I saw its error in the activity log on Monday (in v8.0.2) by chance and it's seemingly caused by one of the Six templates trying to use a feature that is now prohibited by the Smarty Security Policy.... you gotta love how the internal testing was so thorough that they don't even know when/how/why a template that they wrote is breaking the arbitrary security policy that they imposed.

3 hours ago, brian! said:

i'll guarantee that there is at least one existing bug that hasn't been fixed in v8.0.3 - I saw its error in the activity log on Monday (in v8.0.2) by chance and it's seemingly caused by one of the Six templates trying to use a feature that is now prohibited by the Smarty Security Policy.... you gotta love how the internal testing was so thorough that they don't even know when/how/why a template that they wrote is breaking the arbitrary security policy that they imposed.

Therefore, I don't understand why they are moving so quickly with releases as people are not catching up with changes, with people I don't just mean WHMCS customers but also WHMCS developers. Even its own coding team is not catching up with other changes they are introducing. The issue is likely a discoordination issue as the person/s that wrote one part is not the same introducing changes in another section. I'm not sure if this is happening because they work remotely or they are not properly coordinating weekly meetings to discuss what everyone has changed but it seems to me issues like that happen because one hand is not aware what the other one is doing.

This is of course is no excuse to whoever has to do the testing (assuming they even do that and not just rely on beta users). All they have to do is check logs, which includes WHMCS logs, server logs, php logs to find most hard bugs.

I see hat whmcs staff not response to nothing 

3 hours ago, brian! said:

i'll guarantee that there is at least one existing bug that hasn't been fixed in v8.0.3 -

Yes that true I have 2 bugs that they did not fix. One is stripe that alot of whmcs customers use . Plus I see whmcs staff not response to this thread 

21 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Therefore, I don't understand why they are moving so quickly with releases as people are not catching up with changes, with people I don't just mean WHMCS customers but also WHMCS developers.

they're still fixing bugs - nothing majorly new is being added with these maintenance releases.

21 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

The issue is likely a discoordination issue as the person/s that wrote one part is not the same introducing changes in another section. I'm not sure if this is happening because they work remotely or they are not properly coordinating weekly meetings to discuss what everyone has changed but it seems to me issues like that happen because one hand is not aware what the other one is doing.

the issue I found is not caused by new code, its old code that they haven't bothered updating to account for changes to the Smarty Security Policy - so i'd lay the blame more on the testers rather than the coders.

21 hours ago, wsa said:

I see that whmcs staff not response to nothing 

I logged in this morning to find 100+ new post modifications.... wtf! I suspected it had been quiet the last few weeks for new posters... many of them have been waiting in moderation for THREE weeks - this has been going on for months now and it's hardly rocket science to approve a post.

imagine handing over your hard earned money for a WHMCS license, posting in their forums and waiting three weeks for an answer - during which time, they've probably either moved on from WHMCS, contacted support direct or are swearing to themselves under their breath.

this is the utter contempt that WHMCS has for their users in 2020.

.. I could go on with more examples.

6 hours ago, brian! said:

they're still fixing bugs - nothing majorly new is being added with these maintenance releases.

the issue I found is not caused by new code, its old code that they haven't bothered updating to account for changes to the Smarty Security Policy - so i'd lay the blame more on the testers rather than the coders.

I logged in this morning to find 100+ new post modifications.... wtf! I suspected it had been quiet the last few weeks for new posters... many of them have been waiting in moderation for THREE weeks - this has been going on for months now and it's hardly rocket science to approve a post.

imagine handing over your hard earned money for a WHMCS license, posting in their forums and waiting three weeks for an answer - during which time, they've probably either moved on from WHMCS, contacted support direct or are swearing to themselves under their breath.

this is the utter contempt that WHMCS has for their users in 2020.

.. I could go on with more examples.

I was referring to version 8 when I mean they are moving too quickly. And in 3 months I guess they will launch 8.1 that again has new features even without fixing first all the previous bugs. They think if they keep moving forward with new stuff it will give them more customers which is a mouse and cat game as older ones will just move on if bugs are hurting their business. All software's will always have bugs, true, but it's a different story when you let them accumulate and focus the coding force on new features instead of fixing the existing ones. Therefore, most software's introduce new features very slowly and carefully, as they must play together with everything else.

And this is not only about features in a technical way but also from a business logic perspective. On the positive side at least the first patches are being released which means they are aware and fixing stuff. 😂

I would say definitly wait!

On 10/17/2020 at 5:45 AM, yggdrasil said:

After reading all the issues here, I would say wait. Until 8.1 or 8.2 at least. There are many novel changes which change completely how some things work.

Agreed, the new things from our testing are breaking quite a few things.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, brian! said:

that would be fine, except v8.1 and v8.2 will likely introduce further new features, and not just supposedly fix the v8 ones... and so the cycle starts all over again.

Eaxctly, a general relaese should be relitvly bug free and not get relaesed so us the 'guinea pigs' can find them. Pointless. Makes sense why no actual useful features that the users and ommunity has been crying out for many years has never materialised.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:27 PM, web2008 said:

WHMCS may be dependent on some of us using the latest version and finding any bugs that have not been identified in beta testing.

Personally dont think beta testing was extensive at all...

On 10/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, DennisHermannsen said:

Heck, they don't even use v8 yet! They don't even have enough faith in their own software to use the latest version 😅

Tha says it all doesnt it.. and at the same time the lTS is forced down your throat. Such a shame a company has to act this way. Not confidence inspiring at all.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, yggdrasil said:

Calling those dates Long Term is wrong. Long term is usually considered years, not months.

Those months in there eyes must be considered years... and at the same time the lTS is forced down your throat. Such a shame a company has to act this way. Not confidence inspiring at all.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, yggdrasil said:

Someone must do the job of testing? Yes, but not me. WHMCS. This is not a free software. We pay for it, why should I or any other customer invest its valuable time to test the software? It's not as WHMCS is paying you for that, they don't even want to make a bug report system for us customers, and this is something we asked for years. Reporting issues is not precisely easy when you must constantly discuss with someone if something is or not a bug. 🙄

100% agree with you hear. Was looking forward to using V8 for a new project (thankfully havent updated a live existing install yet!) and all week we have been finding bugs left right and center. What a joke. There are very basic things that simply dont work OR are buggy at best. How anyone during developement or even BASIC testing didnt see or find this is beyond me. IF we did a web dev project for a client with this amount of issues youde better bet they would be fuming.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, yggdrasil said:

For me, it feels that when WHMCS announces a new major version as stable, then it's really beta, and after a month of real people using it becomes stable.

Thats been the experience we have ad for the last 8 years of using WHMCS.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:34 AM, AndyW said:

8.0.3 is here, go for it production beta testers, having fun seeing how many people love to jump into the fire for no reason. In the good old days Matt would give 3months free support and updates to  production beta tester. No people just do it for free as they are bored

The good old days. never gona get those back 😢

On 10/21/2020 at 7:30 AM, AndyW said:

48 fixes in 8.0.3 and +100 bugs in stable version 8.0.0 ! This is beta testing

You can add around 10 more we have spotted and been told that a core issue has been opened for devs to check BUT cannot tell us IF or when they will be fixed OR addresses. SO huge ones for us involve the manualy order process AND invoicing side of things. The launch plans have basically gone flying out of the window.  Just very thankful its for a new project and not using V8 on a live existing install. Would be tearing my hair out!

@WHMCS John I think it's important that anyone from WHMCS gives an update on this issue.

A lot of users would not expect important things to be broken in the third (production) release of WHMCS - and if you aren't aware of this thread, you most likely don't know that you're still keeping your clients' personal information after deleting their accounts.
It's important that these things are adressed. There has been a single comment about this ~10 days ago from you, and no one knows if this is a thing that will ever get fixed. I reported the oversight to WHMCS support before the initial public release of WHMCS v8.0.0, and somehow someone still thought it would be fine to ship the update.

Could you please make sure that someone gets back to this thread? It's not difficult to solve the problem either.

Setup v8.x on dev environment and cannot get accustomed to the modified Admin area layout...I am normally not excited about big changes, but have always quickly acclimated to other change in short order.

I spend too many hours of my life in previous WHMCS admin, and am having no such luck with 8 so I am going to wait it out before making any changes to production site. Aside from the layout, no other significant issues arose during my test upgrade...It would be the smoothest WHMCS major release upgrade in the history of our business if we were able to replicate the same results as our test-run.

Normally, maintenance mode and 5-10 minutes of hastily going back and forth to error logs accompany any major update. Sadly, we may never experience.