Regarding New Pricing Model.

Hi

In regards to the new pricing based on the number of active clients - WHMCS does realize that not only hosting customers use their product, correct? An active, recurring Hosting customer would be different then an active, one-time purchase client on a site like mine. Or would this mean i'd have to constantly go and de-activate former clients accounts and force them to make a new one if they want to order something else?

So would you consider a "Light" version of WHMCS that does not include the hosting/domain stuff in it so that non-hosting customers can use it to sell their products and/or services?

Edited by wwesn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know how they will be working out how many active clients you have.

Will they rely on people reporting a change of band, or is there functionality built into the software to report your current active client count to WHMCS, so the correct band is applied.

Hi

In regards to the new pricing based on the number of active clients - WHMCS does realize that not only hosting customers use their product, correct? An active, recurring Hosting customer would be different then an active, one-time purchase client on a site like mine. Or would this mean i'd have to constantly go and de-activate former clients accounts and force them to make a new one if they want to order something else?

So would you consider a "Light" version of WHMCS that does not include the hosting/domain stuff in it so that non-hosting customers can use it to sell their products and/or services?

Same problem I have clients that pay one time modules sometime dont come back

WHMCS has been able to tell how many 'active' clients you have for years. To determine how many 'active' clients you have, go into admin -> clients -> list clients, click on 'filter', then change the 'status' to 'Active'.

This will tell you how many active clients you have. That is what WHMCS will be billing off of.

Whether this is an appropriate billing method or not, well, that's a whole separate discussion

WHMCS has been able to tell how many 'active' clients you have for years.
Is that WHMCS, the company, or WHMCS, the product?

If the former, what other information is WHMCS, the company, able to glean from WHMCS, the product, that is not detailed in their privacy policy or terms of service. Does WHMCS, the company, display what information they have gleaned from WHMCS, the product, in their client center, which may potentially help us challenge what band WHMCS, the company, has put us in?

If the latter, how will WHMCS, the company, know when to bump us up to the next level of WHMCS, the product, pricing?

Is that WHMCS, the company, or WHMCS, the product?

The product has known this since at least v5. I can't speak for the company, though it's entirely possible that the company knows

If the latter, how will WHMCS, the company, know when to bump us up to the next level of WHMCS, the product, pricing?

This will likely be built into their licensing software.

If the former, what other information is WHMCS, the company, able to glean from WHMCS, the product, that is not detailed in their privacy policy or terms of service. Does WHMCS, the company, display what information they have gleaned from WHMCS, the product, in their client center, which may potentially help us challenge what band WHMCS, the company, has put us in?

http://www.whmcs.com/license/

1.18 “WHMCS Anonymous Usage Data” means all data collected by WHMCS in connection with the use of the Software by You or any Third Party Users, including (a) the licensed or unlicensed status of the Software; (b) the source from which the license for the Software was obtained; and © information about the hardware upon which the Software is installed including (i) the public IP address, (ii) the operating system, (iii) web server version, (iv) the use of any virtualization technologies on such server, and (v) data utilized to prevent and combat various server attacks by hackers or their hardware, including but not limited to assaults such as spam attacks, brute force attacks, dictionary attacks, phishing, pharming, and the like. Additionally, “WHMCS Anonymous Usage Data” may also include information collected by WHMCS from time to time concerning which features of the Software are most often used in order to improve and make adjustments to the Software, including, but not limited to the number of active modules, PHP version, mySQL version, installed PHP extensions, installed add-on modules, template utilization, and the number of active administrators, domains, servers, and active clients.

http://www.whmcs.com/price-change-faq/

What happens when I reach the client limit for my license?

You will begin seeing notifications inside the product as you approach your limit.

Your license will then be upgraded automatically when the maximum number of permitted clients is reached and the new price will take effect from the next renewal date.

You will also receive an email notifying you when an upgrade takes place.

Can I opt out of automatic license upgrades?

Yes, you opt-out of these automatic upgrades here.

When you opt-out, upon reaching the limit for your license, you will be required to upgrade manually. A link will be provided to you within a notification inside the product.

I don't understand why other than to make more money why they would do this, its not as if its hosted with them, and they do no extra work for us if we had 10 or 500 clients ... seems like a pocket liner only to me.......

This is going to prove popular amongst WHMCS client base.... NOT

At least though you have 6 months notice of the change....

One other question.... We paid a one off fee ages ago for the unbranded option, as I was a one off payment we had a lower monthly fee, the new tiers suggests that this would no longer apply and we would go onto the same tariff as everyone else????

Edited by lance

I don't understand why other than to make more money why they would do this, its not as if its hosted with them, and they do no extra work for us if we had 10 or 500 clients ... seems like a pocket liner only to me.......

That's exactly what it is.. There's really no justification for this other than that. It's not like WHMCS puts more work in when our client list grows.

More and more , I'm reminded of modernbill. This seems the path that this company is headed down.

• WHMCS CEO
I want to know how they will be working out how many active clients you have.

The number of active clients present in your installation is something that is reported back to us during the license check. As you approach the limit for your license you will start seeing warning notifications. And when the limit is reached, your license will be upgraded automatically unless you opt out. Learn more here: http://www.whmcs.com/price-change-faq

I should also ask - Will Affiliate Commissions reflect this change as well?

Absolutely they will.

I don't understand why other than to make more money why they would do this

That's exactly what it is.. There's really no justification for this other than that.

Absolutely that's why we did it. To make more money that allows us to continue improving, developing and delivering the best web hosting automation platform available for web hosting companies as we have done for the last 10 years now.

That said, we appreciate that there are many small businesses out there struggling to make ends meet, and that's why we deliberately structured the changes in such a way that companies with less than 250 active clients don't pay a single cent more. As we touched on in the announcement, the tiered pricing structure is designed to more accurately reflect the value users get from the product. A company with only a handful of clients does not get the same value from using the product that a company with 250, 1000 or more clients does. As a company scales, the benefits delivered through increased efficiencies, time savings and functionality have more value for those companies. That's what the price change is about addressing.

With the extra income to WHMCS, does this mean one of the world's easiest payment gateways for developers to integrate (Stripe) will be finally added?
Added to that, will a new official GoCardless module be developed since the original was discontinued as of version 5.3.

With the extra income to WHMCS, does this mean one of the world's easiest payment gateways for developers to integrate (Stripe) will be finally added?

You would think so, but I believe they will continue to stall on native Stripe support for as long as they can, because they make good affiliate income pushing you towards other solutions while Stripe support just means development hours expended for no financial return. Follow the money.

On the plus side, I heard they are soon going to be offering a discount to Plesk users, as they get far fewer features and no new features compared to users of the cPanel integration. The tiered pricing structure is designed to more accurately reflect the value users get from the product.

Hi there,

We just saw that WHMCS modified our pricing without even notice us.

Based on our clients, active or not WHMCS modified the pricing almost 3x times.

Due to the nature of the problem and not respecting EU Laws (I guess US too) this action is illegal, how will you manage to counter the lawsuits?

Based on https://www.whmcs.com/pricing/ WHMCS will double or triple their profit based on our stupidity of using a closed source software.

We and others will act WHMCS in law as a group.

I saw within this post that we will have a 6 months interval.

During this time we will migrate to a different solution, and will charge WHMCS for the data migrating costs or development costs.

As all companies do, we do not appreciate cost changing without discussions and without prior notices.

Matt you forgot that not everybody use whmcs of hosting am sure you have 100 or more clients that use of other stuff like services and they client pay them one time fee and some come back and some never come back. If i was running a hosting company then I will said the price is good

• WHMCS Support Manager
We just saw that WHMCS modified our pricing without even notice us.

As all companies do, we do not appreciate cost changing without discussions and without prior notices.

Hi dooh,

The pricing for existing customers has not been changed at this time, this is the advanced notification of the price change. The price change for existing customers takes place in April 2017. So we are providing 6 months advanced notice.

I trust that clarifies the matter.

• WHMCS CEO
You would think so, but I believe they will continue to stall on native Stripe support for as long as they can, because they make good affiliate income pushing you towards other solutions while Stripe support just means development hours expended for no financial return. Follow the money.

We do not receive "affiliate income" from the majority of the 80+ payment gateways that we support out of the box in WHMCS. But as we announced in the Stripe feature request a few weeks ago, work is underway on Stripe integration and we expect it to be available in WHMCS 7.1.

Matt you forgot that not everybody use whmcs of hosting am sure you have 100 or more clients that use of other stuff like services and they client pay them one time fee and some come back and some never come back. If i was running a hosting company then I will said the price is good

We understand that not every business has subscription based pricing models. However, it remains true that as your business grows, so too does the scalability, service and support you need. The tiered pricing structure is designed to reflect the value WHMCS is providing to your business as a whole.

Matt

What about Owned Licenses?

As of today, we will no longer be offering owned licenses for sale.

Developing, improving and providing support for the WHMCS product has ongoing costs, and therefore a subscription based model makes more sense.

What does this mean for existing Owned Licenses?

Existing Owned Licenses are unaffected by these changes. Owned licenses will continue to provide the same unlimited active client usage as before.

what will happen to owned licenses when support/updates period expires?

what will happen to owned licenses when support/updates period expires?

And there's the question I've been wondering about.

"Existing Owned Licenses are unaffected by these changes" has the paranoid person in me thinking there are as yet unannounced changes coming.

For existing owned license users, nothing will change, you'll continue to have the same level of access you do and be able to renew your Support & Upgrades service when they expire

thanks Chris, this is great news for owned license holders.

I wish I had enough licenses :cry: