VATMOSS & EU VAT changes

aegisdesign

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has he a link to an article, news report? It's news to me.

news to me too... i'd be amazed if Andy's accountant is correct as making such a change at this late stage would have caused publicity - and there's nothing on Google or the EU web site to even hint at a late change to the rules.

There's nothing anywhere. I've contacted, Sky, ITN, BBC asking why they are talking about Next's profits and the price of houses rather than issues like this today. Surely it's a BIG story, for businesses AND consumers. The media baffle me sometimes. Would love to have a minister (MP) or cabinet member stand up and face questions about their thoughts on all of this. It's a joke for businesses like mine to have to take this on. We're non-VAT registered deliberately because of our sector. Doing this, means I get no benefit, (ie claiming back VAT) but become an unpaid tax collector for the EU.

It would appear, from a quick reading, that they expect my California corporation to collect and submit European taxes. Good luck with that BaPhsQU.gif

+1

Of course, my little company doesn't have any EU customers yet. But I'm considering ways to prevent them from trying to sign up for hosting services, as I just plain can't do the paperwork and keep up with rate changes and such. Anyone know of any way to limit account creations to just non-EU countries (or even US-only)?

Open phpMyAdmin and then go to the table: tbltax and delete all of the rows of the existing VAT rates and then copy and paste the following into the SQL section and then click on Go.

INSERT INTO `tbltax` (`id`, `level`, `name`, `state`, `country`, `taxrate`) VALUES
(2, 1, 'VAT', '', 'GB', '20.00'),
(3, 1, 'VAT', '', 'SE', '25.00'),
(4, 1, 'VAT', '', 'DE', '19.00'),
(5, 1, 'VAT', '', 'LV', '21.00'),
(6, 1, 'VAT', '', 'LU', '17.00'),
(7, 1, 'VAT', '', 'LT', '21.00'),
(8, 1, 'VAT', '', 'FR', '20.00'),
(9, 1, 'VAT', '', 'MT', '18.00'),
(10, 1, 'VAT', '', 'NL', '21.00'),
(11, 1, 'VAT', '', 'PL', '23.00'),
(12, 1, 'VAT', '', 'PT', '23.00'),
(13, 1, 'VAT', '', 'RO', '24.00'),
(14, 1, 'VAT', '', 'SK', '20.00'),
(15, 1, 'VAT', '', 'SI', '22.00'),
(16, 1, 'VAT', '', 'ES', '21.00'),
(17, 1, 'VAT', '', 'IT', '22.00'),
(18, 1, 'VAT', '', 'IE', '23.00'),
(19, 1, 'VAT', '', 'HU', '27.00'),
(20, 1, 'VAT', '', 'AT', '20.00'),
(21, 1, 'VAT', '', 'BE', '21.00'),
(22, 1, 'VAT', '', 'BG', '20.00'),
(23, 1, 'VAT', '', 'CY', '19.00'),
(24, 1, 'VAT', '', 'CZ', '21.00'),
(25, 1, 'VAT', '', 'DK', '25.00'),
(27, 1, 'VAT', '', 'EE', '20.00'),
(28, 1, 'VAT', '', 'FI', '24.00'),
(29, 1, 'VAT', '', 'GR', '23.00'),
(30, 1, 'VAT', '', 'HR', '25.00');

Hi just done this and now see in the EU vat add-on level 1 rules with all these in. but if the vat changes how do you edit them in the database again ?. also anyone got screenshots of how they have this add-on up in whmcs please.

Hi just done this and now see in the EU vat add-on level 1 rules with all these in. but if the vat changes how do you edit them in the database again ?. also anyone got screenshots of how they have this add-on up in whmcs please.

when you need to change rate for any EU state you will need to remove it from the list and re-insert it again with the new rate.

screenshot for what?

EU VAT Addon settings

the VAT should be applied to any invoice for clients from EU, and the VAT rate will be based on their country rate, and if you select/check the option to "Tax Exempt" then VAT will be applied to individuals EU clients not for businesses with valid VAT number.

anyway i think it'll be more helpful if someone share with us the best options to be set in EU VAT addon settings? maybe

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I have been looking for info for a while on how WHMCS can be made compliant and given the vast resources WHMCS has I have to say this response is VERY disappointing.

A few points.

Point 1:

The VAT rate is to be charged based on the customers LOCATION at the time of order, not in accordance with the address they enter.

e.g. I am from the UK, my billing address may well be in the UK however if I order service from a digital merchant while I am in Germany then I pay the rate of VAT for Germany.

When I return to the UK I then need to pay VAT at the UK Rate and so on.

Point 2:

Merchants need to be able to display the prices pre order including VAT based on the location of the visitor, not post order confirmation.

Point 3:

3 Pieces of corroborating information that confirms the customers location at the time of sale (and all subsequent transactions) must be stored for no less than 10 years.

Point 4:

Individual VAT specific reporting must be available per EU state.

As far as I can see all the WHMCS plugin lets you do is set a VAT rate per country which only kicks in after the user presses "buy" or "order" and then enters 1 bit of information.

As such WHMCS is not compliant, this plugin does not make you compliant 1 bit and additionally as it turns out if you are in the EU (or are registered in the EU) and you decide not to sell to others outside you own state to avoid complexity you are breaking anti-discrimination laws.

I have sent a ticket to WHMCS, waiting for a reply.

Sorry but very little info in this thread is correct, doing it the way this thread is suggesting may be convenient but it is not compliant.

Also in terms of this blog post: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=96594 it is just wrong for the reasons above and the MOSS team have had an open system and support staff in place to help people and software vendors be complaint since October, who exactly have WHMCS tried to contact?

Just to add to this there are a number of gateways and services that could be easily integrated in to WHMCS by WHMCS (I have contacted them and they confirmed they would work with WHMCS on this) that essentially takes the burden away from the hosts as they fully handle all VAT on behalf of the merchant.

examples are:

Paddle.com

taxamo.com

I did get a reply yesterday after getting is escalated, it is quite a complex issue though so I had to re-iterate a few things, waiting on a reply again.

top and bottom of it being they know whmcs is not complaint but they are saying HMRC wont give them the info they need, I am part of the EU VAT Action group and WHMCS's responses were actually seen by the policy office at 10 downing street today.

WHMCS have not yet told me who they contacted to get the info they need though so it was 'information only'

With so many payment gateways and platforms moving to handle the VATMOSS on behalf of customers my feeling is (and I could be wrong) WHMCS do not want to put the effort in to get things compliant and are instead looking at ways to deflect responsibility.

If I am wrong and I could well be, WHMCS should know this is how it looks from the outside.

• 3 months later...
Can you explain it better with some examples please?

I suspect he's talking about the 2-year old feature request below - i've seen many threads over the last couple of years asking about the feature...

https://requests.whmcs.com/responses/allow-for-us-based-taxes-based-on-counties

it may generate some US sales for your Billing Extension if you can add this feature to it. :)