Stripe "Uncaptured" Payments

hkhost

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, siteunfold said:

I am also having a similar issue since setting up stripe as a gateway.

The only thing non-standard about the setup is I use Nginx instead of Apache. 

Is anyone using Apache having this problem / could this be Nginx / web server / URL rewrite related?

Yes, we're using Apache and having this problem. Opened several tickets with WHMCS support, still no resolution. It doesn't happen on every order which is the most frustrating thing.

50 minutes ago, nodespace said:

Yes, we're using Apache and having this problem. Opened several tickets with WHMCS support, still no resolution. It doesn't happen on every order which is the most frustrating thing.

Yes, I get this sometime this not fix at all

• 3 months later...

This error is still a thing, after having a ticket open with whmcs for months they constantly deny it is a bug on their side. 

Very frustrating to work with and no resolution. Stripe tried to assist with it as well but whmcs is unwilling to help or fix it. 

• 3 weeks later...

No idea if it's related, but the hotfix for the recent security issue caused something like this. Client changes/updates card or tries to pay, it wound up being uncaptured. They'd provided a new file that appeared to fix it on our install, but it was not for the same version I'm running. Fixed it, near as we can tell, but that was strange. 

On 8/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, bear said:

No idea if it's related, but the hotfix for the recent security issue caused something like this. Client changes/updates card or tries to pay, it wound up being uncaptured. They'd provided a new file that appeared to fix it on our install, but it was not for the same version I'm running. Fixed it, near as we can tell, but that was strange. 

Interesting I will have to contact WHMCS to request the same hotfix.

Crazy that this post was created in 2019 and the uncaptured payments with Stripe is still an issue. This has happened to my clients easily 30-40 times the last few years and every-time it is a very bad look.

For me, this issue started just a few weeks ago, after updating to 8.7.3 (which may or may not be a coincidence). Every morning I get up to process uncaptured payments and deal with frustrated customers. It's very annoying.

I don't believe customers have suddenly started "navigating away" from the payment page after doing it correctly for so many years. This has to be a change made by WHMCS, Stripe or myself. And I haven't changed a thing, other than keep WHMCS updated.

2 hours ago, niels said:

For me, this issue started just a few weeks ago, after updating to 8.7.3 (which may or may not be a coincidence). Every morning I get up to process uncaptured payments and deal with frustrated customers. It's very annoying.

I don't believe customers have suddenly started "navigating away" from the payment page after doing it correctly for so many years. This has to be a change made by WHMCS, Stripe or myself. And I haven't changed a thing, other than keep WHMCS updated.

@WHMCS John @WHMCS ChrisD When are you going to address this issue?

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @niels @zomex,

There are no outstanding general issues with Stripe payment captures on cart.php. Possible causes for this behaviour could be:

• The client abandoning checkout before submitting the order successfully (ie. At the 3D Secure stage).
  • A customisation affecting the in-browser processing of Stripe.js, such as a theme or javascript modification.

If you are still encountering the issue with after-market modules and hooks removed on the stock Theme (Twenty-One) and Order Form Template (Standard Cart), please open a support ticket so we can investigate the specific issue on your instance.

6 hours ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @niels @zomex,

There are no outstanding general issues with Stripe payment captures on cart.php. Possible causes for this behaviour could be:

• The client abandoning checkout before submitting the order successfully (ie. At the 3D Secure stage).
  • A customisation affecting the in-browser processing of Stripe.js, such as a theme or javascript modification.

If you are still encountering the issue with after-market modules and hooks removed on the stock Theme (Twenty-One) and Order Form Template (Standard Cart), please open a support ticket so we can investigate the specific issue on your instance.

The only JS I am using outside of stock is minimal:

https://www.zomex.com/libs/javascript/scripts-whmcs.js

Also this issue is not every order. It happens maybe 1 of every 5. If it was a JS conflict I would expect it would be more likely to effect every order.

Do you know for sure that navigating away from the cart at the 3D secure stage causes a uncaptured payment? I would have thought it would cause a failed or canceled payment as it would be a fraud risk at that point.

----

I don't know what causes the issue so I can't test with twenty one. But aside from the JS above I am using a child theme of twenty one.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I've just implemented the Stripe gateway a few days ago and I am getting this as well. Most customers are going through fine and then one (existing customer) tried to pay an invoice twice, with the Stripe dashboard showing both attempts as:

"PaymentIntent status: requires_capture"

I only stumbled across that because after implementing a new payment gateway I was checking regularly for any issues.

I'm using WHMCS v 8.8.0 and PHP v 8.1.24 with the standard templates for both client area and order forms..... Nothing non-standard here @WHMCS John.

The really annoying aspect of this is that there is no notification from either Stripe or WHMCS that a payment process has been attempted and either failed or requires manual intervention.

In fact there is nothing recorded in the WHMCS Gateway Transaction Logs to identify the point of failure............. That is shocking!

Once you do capture the payment in Stripe,  it is then a case of manually adding a payment to the invoice - great billing system!

35 minutes ago, Vox said:

Hi Guys,

I've just implemented the Stripe gateway a few days ago and I am getting this as well. Most customers are going through fine and then one (existing customer) tried to pay an invoice twice, with the Stripe dashboard showing both attempts as:

"PaymentIntent status: requires_capture"

I only stumbled across that because after implementing a new payment gateway I was checking regularly for any issues.

I'm using WHMCS v 8.8.0 and PHP v 8.1.24 with the standard templates for both client area and order forms..... Nothing non-standard here @WHMCS John.

The really annoying aspect of this is that there is no notification from either Stripe or WHMCS that a payment process has been attempted and either failed or requires manual intervention.

In fact there is nothing recorded in the WHMCS Gateway Transaction Logs to identify the point of failure............. That is shocking!

Once you do capture the payment in Stripe,  it is then a case of manually adding a payment to the invoice - great billing system!

Did you check your access logs to see if Stripe is attempting to hit the callback file in WHMCS? If so, what status code is it showing?

Hi @leemahoney3,

The only things I can see in the Apache logs that span the period way before and after the transaction attempt are as follows:

127.0.0.1 - - [10/29/2023:10:45:51 -0000] "GET /.__cpanel__service__check__./serviceauth?sendkey=__HIDDEN__&version=1.2 HTTP/1.0" 200 0 "-" "-" "-" "-" 2086

which do not seem to correlate with anything to do with Stripe?

In Stripe, you can go to Developers, then Webhooks and see which calls were made to your WHMCS webhook.

In my case all such calls are 100% successful, including the ones that WHMCS fails to capture. So, imho, the issue is not with Stripe or Apache/Nginx.

Hi @WHMCS John,

Ticket ID: YWJ-692022

I've posted screenshots of the Stripe payments dashboard activity along with the web logs for that period. You can see where the payment was attempted twice, but only seems to have the POST and GET entires for the stripe module once.

I did notice that the attempts were from two different IP's for the client - I hope that something like "iCloud Private Relay" is not interfering with the process. That's the only reason I can think of as to why the client's IP would change.

Hi Guys,

Updating this thread as WHMCS have confirmed the above post regarding the change of IP address. If the clients IP address changes during the payment process it will not complete.

This results in them being logged out and the payment is not being captured with Stripe. The IP address is from a mobile network provider, which can result in regular IP address changes. To combat this we do offer the option to Disable Session IP Check at Configuration (wrench icon) > System Settings > General Settings > Security - https://docs.whmcs.com/Security_Tab#Disable_Session_IP_Check . You may wish to consider using that option to handle such IP address changes.

This means that any customers using services such as "iCloud Private Relay" may be prone to payment failures.