Upgrade 5.3.14 -> 7.x, HOW? Help please.

I would upgrade to 6.3.x and then v7 if it were me.. but, that being said.. you might want to test just going straight to v7.

Have you setup a development install to test? Only takes a few mins and is vital if you rely on your WHMCS installation when planning and doing upgrades.

Edited by xyzulu

It's really, really simple :)

Step 1: Download full upgrade (7.0.1)

Step 2: Backup everything (files, database, everything)

Step 3: On your current install, move whmcs/modules to whmcs/modules.old. Your current modules won't likely work. You'll just have to keep in mind which modules you've developed in the past, or purchased

Step 4: On your current install, move whmcs/templates to whmcs/templates.old. See above

Step 5: Upload the zip folder (downloaded WHMCS) to your server

Step 6: Uncompress the zip folder on your server, moving all the contents to their needed place.

Step 7: Run the install

There really is no incremental, full upgrade will do the trick for you

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your post.

You can go straight from WHMCS v5.3.14 to WHMCS v7 by using the Full Release Version upgrade steps and go straight from 5.3.14 to 7.0.1 please remember to ensure your server meets the new Minimum Server Requirements especially with PHP & ionCube Loaders WHMCS 7.0 requires PHP 5.6 or later. If you are running any versions earlier than PHP 5.6, you must upgrade PHP before attempting to upgrade to WHMCS 7.0. WHMCS 7.0 also requires ionCube Loader v5.0.21 or later. WHMCS v7 also supports PHP 7 - in order to ensure complete compatibility, please install the latest Ioncube loader 6.0.2 or later.

Lastly, please remember to check that any third party modules are WHMCS v7 compatible and also compatible with PHP 5.6 or PHP 7

Thank you all for timely responses.

Hello Dan,

...... go straight from WHMCS v5.3.14 to WHMCS v7 by using the Full Release Version upgrade steps and go straight from 5.3.14 to 7.0.1 please remember to ensure your server meets the new

@twhiting927 and WHMCS ChrisD

My main concern regarding ugrade documentation is, because it was written in mind from upgrading from WHMCS6 not 5, correct? that is why i am in doubt with upgrade steps.

If it is that simple, as twhiting9275 described, that would be awesome, but again i would like to be 99,99% certain it will work from WHMCS 5 to 7.

Also, my other concern is database, does it require any manual modification?

but again i would like to be 99,99% certain it will work from WHMCS 5 to 7.

Please.. do a test upgrade on a staging site.

No manual database modifications are required. WHMCS upgrades the database during the upgrade steps.

Thank you all for timely responses.

My main concern regarding ugrade documentation is, because it was written in mind from upgrading from WHMCS6 not 5, correct? that is why i am in doubt with upgrade steps.

If it is that simple, as twhiting9275 described, that would be awesome, but again i would like to be 99,99% certain it will work from WHMCS 5 to 7.

Hello Dan,

The upgrade steps have not changed in a while its been download the full version then uploading the release files extracting and running the updater, we always recommend taking a backup and as Brad suggested you can run on a staging site to test.

There are no manual modifications to the database needed but again you'll need to make sure you have all your modifications up to date. Alternatively if you prefer we also have an upgrade service where we'll run the upgrade for you you can find more out about this service at http://www.whmcs.com/services/upgrade-service/

• 4 years later...

Why was it recommended to move the existing modules and templates directories out of the way, when uploading the new full install will overwrite everything that is outdated?  Is there something I'm overlooking?  Having some problems upgrading from the same version.

Thanks.

Mike

I was able to successfully complete this upgrade.  There is no need to rename the template and module directories.  The full installation will overwrite the outdated files.  There is one exception to this.  In admin/lang, if there is a file named adminlangupdate.php, it must be removed or renamed or it will cause problems.