Client Specific Knowledgebase articles or Client Area visible notes

joedavis

Hello,

We have a lot of client specific information that we need to share with each of our clients. Does anyone know of an addon or a hidden feature that would allow us to share notes with clients in the Client Area or a way to specify which clients can see a knowledge articles?

Thank you,
Joe

16 hours ago, joedavis said:

We have a lot of client specific information that we need to share with each of our clients. Does anyone know of an addon or a hidden feature that would allow us to share notes with clients in the Client Area

if you could put this information into a downloadable file, e.g PDF, Word Doc etc, then you could use the Client Files feature...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Summary_Tab#Files

and then upload the specific file to each client and they'd be able to download it from their client area home page.

16 hours ago, joedavis said:

or a way to specify which clients can see a knowledge articles?

that could be done, but i'm not aware of an existing addon that does it...

if you can use the client files solution for your purpose, then that's probably the easiest route to follow.

Thank you for the replies.

@WHMCS ChrisD, I searched the marketplace and came up empty. Maybe I should write my own and sell it. 😉

@brian!, we have used the files feature a bit and it does work. We are wanting to keep people from needing to download their docs though because as things change, they tend to hold on to the old docs and then open support tickets saying our docs are wrong. The KB and hooks idea is interesting but if we go that route, we might as well just write our own module and use a MD editor. The only thing that worries me about using the KB this way is that it wouldn't be hard to mess up and show sensitive info to the wrong clients.

Thanks!
Joe

Hi Joe,

19 minutes ago, joedavis said:

I searched the marketplace and came up empty.

I could have told you that! 🙂

36 minutes ago, joedavis said:

The KB and hooks idea is interesting but if we go that route, we might as well just write our own module and use a MD editor.

there's an archived 5-year old feature request with 10 votes - so WHMCS themselves won't be adding it any time soon.

37 minutes ago, joedavis said:

The only thing that worries me about using the KB this way is that it wouldn't be hard to mess up and show sensitive info to the wrong clients.

which is probably why I didn't write and post it in that thread.

about the only other existing feature that could be abused for your purpose would be to use admin notes (assuming you're aren't using them for private notes on clients) - but then it also depends on the content of what you want to share with the client and whether you can edit it's layout sufficiently using the notes MD options.

if so, then it's just a custom page, panel, sidebar etc with the queried content outputted.

I will add that I remembered another option this morning....

after making these client kb articles private (e.g client only and they have to log in to view them), you could use tags (not in the kb sense, but strings that can be replace)in the article body and use a hook to replace them.

it's difficult to expand in detail without knowing the content of these documents, but if their content is often similar regardless of client, with just specific client details shown within them, then possibly you could go down this road and use custom client fields - the hook could do a string & replace on particular articles and by using CCF, you could avoid querying the database and hence showing details from another client... that may also require these CC fields to be removed from the user details page in the client area.