Stripe transaction description + duplicate change

zomex

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not but since the update to V7.8.1 transactions within Stripe use the transaction ID for the description, prior to the update they used the WHMCS invoice number which I preferred.

Also a client made a duplicate payment on the same invoice. Normally the duplicate Stripe transaction will show in WHMCS prior to the update but now at least in this case only the first transaction shows in WHMCS, the duplicate does of course show in Stripe and 2 payment emails were received from Stripe.

Thanks.

Edited by zomex

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @zomex,

Duplicate transactions might be related to this case addresses in the 7.8.1 maintenance update:

CORE-13678 - Ensure successful captures of non-migrated remote cards complete payment of invoice

https://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V7.8.1

Have you seen any more of these since applying the 7.8.1 update?

18 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @zomex,

Duplicate transactions might be related to this case addresses in the 7.8.1 maintenance update:

https://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V7.8.1

Have you seen any more of these since applying the 7.8.1 update?

This duplicate transaction was made while I was running V7.8.1. I updated straight from V7.7.1 to V7.8.1

Thanks.

Also running v7.8.1 here and the descriptor for client initiated payments gets the payment ID instead of the invoice number.  The system cron runs at 0900h and you will see in the screenshot below that the three with the incorrect description are all non-cron processed payments.

1890013988_ScreenShot2019-09-05at9_33_41am.thumb.png.2a5ea7e0cd40493f2247cdf047b9bcb2.png

11 hours ago, Damo said:

Also running v7.8.1 here and the descriptor for client initiated payments gets the payment ID instead of the invoice number.  The system cron runs at 0900h and you will see in the screenshot below that the three with the incorrect description are all non-cron processed payments.

1890013988_ScreenShot2019-09-05at9_33_41am.thumb.png.2a5ea7e0cd40493f2247cdf047b9bcb2.png

That's a good find.

That is also the same for mine. Both payments were from a non-client and manually made.

I experienced the same issue today but on a bigger scale.

A user made 15 payments for the same hosting renewal invoice.

Initially the invoice wasn't marked as paid but for the last payment it was, I am getting in touch with them to confirm which issues they were facing.

All payments show in Stripe, the duplicates are not shown in WHMCS.

The transaction id used by WHMCS is not clear with Stripe, I'm having a hard time seeing which one of these transactions was used by WHMCS.

I have  had the same problem. This is what I saw:

1. I was on 7.8.0.  WHMC was reporting that the system cron was not not completing. It was not obvious  that multiple payments were happening (I did not look in Stripe at this time).
  2. I ran the cron manually with the  -force and -vvv flags and could see that it was stopping at the Credit Card Charges step (presumably making charges but not then marking the invoices as  paid)
  3. At this point, because the system cron had not completed, I was not seeing the upgrades being available (that step comes after the payment processing, so the cron job never got to that step)
  4. I decided to try the workaround suggested by going into each client, to the Summary page of each client,. Apparently, this is a manual way to ensure that the PayMethod is migrated for each client
  5. After I had completed step 4, I re-ran the cron job manually with the --force and -vvv flags.  The cron job ran through successfully, and  I was offered and upgrade to 7.8.2 .
  6. I performed the upgrade to 7.8.2, and added the passwd hotfix for good measure.  Things seem to be running smoothly.
  7. Then I logged on to Stripe and saw the mess - one customer charged 10 times for the same invoice, and another charged 4 times. I have spent the time since contacting customers and refunding payments. 
  8. Not good, but fixed now.

Can someone at WHMCS please acknowledge the issue here?  

Manual payments (non-cron) do not have a descriptor set that includes the business name and invoice number. Instead they are showing the Payment ID. 

This change of behaviour affects our ability to auto reconcile payments.  Thankfully the descriptor set on our customers statement still shows our details and the invoice number. 

Hi All, 

Thanks for getting raising this with us I have replicated this issue that occurs when clients sign up or when manually paying an invoice via the client area the description shows as PI_ instead of Company Name - Invoice Number.

Case #MODULE-7114 is open with our developers in order to have this reviewed for future releases. Whilst I cannot provide an estimated time for completion for this, once we resolve cases and push features they are available at our change log, here: http://changelog.whmcs.com/

As a workaround you can update your Statement Descriptor under Setup > Payments > Payment Gateways > Manage Payment Gateways and add {InvoiceNumber} the Statement Descriptor whilst this won't show in the description field on the payments list when you drill into the payment details you will see the details in there

I apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this.

Thanks again for taking the time to report your findings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 7:24 PM, madbutcher said:

Not using Stripe but 2CO and having the same problem with duplicate payments since the last update.  Could it be related to the same bug? 

Could you provide more details on what issue you are having? For example, how many line items on the invoice, was there any discount or credit applied, multiple products from different billing cycles, the first line item was a negative value etc.?