Why the complete lack of documentation?

slim

I've noticed that with these new releases of WHMCS that there is plenty of marketing, but zero documentation.

For example, the weebly connect documentation: http://docs.whmcs.com/Weebly_via_WHMCS_MarketConnect

The setup and configuration section has ONE SENTENCE!

There is no indepth explanation whatsoever as to what the customer gets, how it relates to regular weebly plans, no details at all really.

This is repeated across most of the documentation. Without details, its useless.

Yeah, sadly it seems WHMCS is more after new sales and income rather than supporting existing customers in the past couple fo months. It seems they have forgotten business school 1,2,3. That is that getting new customers is ten times more expensive and harder than keeping existing ones.

I say this because documentation is usually posted sales. And I noticed the new WHMCS version didn't fix one single bug I reported a few months back (I read the changelog 3 times for my surprise...).

The best thing about WHMCS 7.2 so far is the Vimeo video :)

There is no indepth explanation whatsoever as to what the customer gets, how it relates to regular weebly plans, no details at all really.

This is repeated across most of the documentation. Without details, its useless.

I deposited $20 into the marketplace to test weebly. I ordered a test account, and frankly got totally confused. The FTP details in the admin end of the product details were left blank, so I filled them in manually. (I did think somehow that WHMCS did this with cPanel automatically). Also the subscription ID was blank - so without knowing what that actually is I assumed it is the weebly user id - so again I filled that in on the admin side.

Now, when I go to the client area and click on the SSO button to login to build a weebly website, all I get is ACCESS DENIED.

Come on WHMCS - what is the correct setup here and what is WHMCS supposed to do automatically. Just frustrating so far.

they also state

Ready-made landing pages

With ready made landing pages and promotional widgets, you get everything you need to start selling.

but nothing in docs of where they are or how to access or set them up

I haven't enabled the feature, not even for dev/beta testing, but I can see the templates are in six/store/... so if you want to change them, that's where to look.

WHMCS has ALWAYS had problems with documentation, and the 'support' response when trying to get them to fix the problem is as pathetic as management is itself..

open up a ticket

It's like they really just don't care about their users, or developers for that matter.

Unfortunately, complaints about documentation fall on deaf ears. Suggestions as to how to fix it? Same

The WHMCS 'documentation' experience is a hot mess, that's for damn sure. They move things on a whim, replace them with ridiculous half-ass attempts and then pretend it's all good.

WHMCS has ALWAYS had problems with documentation, and the 'support' response when trying to get them to fix the problem is as pathetic as management is itself..

It's like they really just don't care about their users, or developers for that matter.

Unfortunately, complaints about documentation fall on deaf ears. Suggestions as to how to fix it? Same

The WHMCS 'documentation' experience is a hot mess, that's for damn sure. They move things on a whim, replace them with ridiculous half-ass attempts and then pretend it's all good.

I wouldn't disagree with one single word of that.

• 1 month later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on the MarketConnect documentation. Prior to launch we put together as much documentation as possible and anticipate the questions users might have. I'd like to highlight the resources available for this feature:

Introductory Information

Specific Service-Related Information:

FAQs and Usage Guides:

As we've received support tickets our documentation has been evolving to answer the questions asked, so please keep your questions coming!

@slim - The setup and configuration of MarketConnect services is intentionally so simple as to be described in one line. You literally just need to have an active Marketplace account and then just click the Activate button. Everything is taken care of behind the scenes, no further setup is required.

The Weebly plans relate to the Weebly Cloud tiers. Websites are designed on Weebly's hosted website builder and uploaded to your hosting service via FTP. If there is a corresponding hosting account in the client's account with the same domain, WHMCS creates the FTP account automatically upon ordering. All the client needs to do is click the "Publish" button within the website builder and everything will be transferred to your servers.

@easyhosting - The landing page links appear under the new "Store" primary navigation menu. Make sure you have them enabled under the "Other Settings" tab at Setup > MarketConnect > Manage

@battles - With MarketConnect, the published websites are hosted on your servers, so the A Records should point to your servers.