V5 Release Discussion

Matt

Just wanted to say congrats to Matt and the whmcs team for putting out such a solid release. I'm amazed that version 5 had so few bugs with all the improvements that were made. Your team has one of the best QA and release process I've seen in a long while!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still using the existing widgets from v4, they seem to be working ok.

Hi Damo,

So this means it would be ok to just restore the v4 /widgets/ directory from my backup repository and it will work fine?

Could the WHMCS guys here please say something about this before I attempt it later today?

We have custom admin folder names running ok in our test environment here and for beta users. Have you installed any customisations? Also worth trying a full reupload of the files if you haven't already, as well as clearing both templates and local cache.

PayPal Express requires the client to click the PayPal Checkout logo instead of the normal checkout button. That's because for Express CheckOut, they have to do it through PayPal. Otherwise it should just default to using the regular PayPal payment process. You must therefore have both PayPal Express and the PayPal standard modules enabled.

Matt

You must have Paypal standard module enabled as well???? well that certainly isn't obvious. Also, how does the customer know that they have to click on the Paypal Checkout logo, rather than the normal checkout button??? This looks like a potentially confusing customer experience. How do we set this up so that it works correctly?

Here a fixed statesdropdown.js UTF-8 With Brazil Country.

Original file show incorrect chars when a State has special characters.

=)

Put this file in your /includes/jscript

(This works with new version 5.0.2, I have not tested if this is working in old versions)

For Brazilians... just change this file and have a state dropdown.

statesdropdown.js.zip

Edited by fcbinfo

How do we remove 'Starting From' from the shopping cart? From my perspective it's not really applicable for many products, buries the price and wastes space.

Our support team will be monitoring this thread over the coming days so please post any general questions or queries you have relating to Version 5 here and that way, we can hopefully relieve some of the pressure on our support desk with the same questions being repeated.

Thanks!

Just upgraded, cleaned out cache and template folder and set the default admin to v4 which we use.

The dropdown menu has NO items in them, so we switched to blend and everything is in the middle of the page.

Is this the way it should be?

How do we split the page up into sidebar, middle or do we have to dig into the admin tpl's

The dropdown menus in blend show a white space half way down

Why cant I see dropdown menu items in v4

Can I revert to 4.5.2 easily enough and wait for v5.1 ;-)

Thanks

Daren

I see some strange behaviour in V5.0.2: PDF invoices are rended only in English, irrespective of customer's language. The only way of changing the invoice language is renaming english.php lang file into something else and overwritting the other language file over english.php

Can you please confirm this ?

• WHMCS CEO
I've just downloaded the update and it struck me, it looks like the multilingual support finally got some attention. A bit of a disappointment though. First of all: what's the point in still giving English names to all the different languages. Germans don't call their own language German, but Deutsch, Dutchmen call their Nederlands in stead of Dutch and the French call "la plus belle langue" Français. In the way it is now you have to understand at least some English to find your own language.

Secondly: I've made quite a few new language strings for several different languages. I've put all these as instructed in the directory /lang/overrides and I made sure the names are exactly like the ones used in the /lang/ directory. The short version is: it doesn't work. I can get them pulled in the old-fashioned way by adding them to the language file, but not from the override file.

I didn't have a chance to investigate things further, so perhaps there's more to nag about. :)

With regards to your first point, we take that on board and will see what we can do. For your second though, the overrides files should be working so please double check the filenames are in the format "language.php", and all lowercase.

/templates/default/css/whmcs.css

@import url("https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Ubuntu:500,700");

4.82 sec. going to send and retrieve data from fonts.googleapis.com and themes.googleusercontent.com it takes between 3 to 8 sec.

What are WHMCS reasons for not doing it so that no is something to be retrieved from other sites?

Google's infrastructure and CDN network means that for your website visitors, loading the font CSS styling from Google themselves should actually be quicker than even your own server in a lot of cases. And in our test scenarios, there was never any considerable impacts on load times.

I log into our admin area with my iPad but I only see the full admin theme, how to I enable this as I cannot locate any documentation on this and I am on the understanding there is an admin theme especially for tablets? thanks.

Also @WHMCS it would be great to auto detect the device and apply the correct template i.e. if the admin area detects an iPad apply the appropriate template because we will quite often access from our desktops and iPads, thanks.

The "Blend" admin template is the one we promote as being specifically for tablet devices. That is the one we've built and tested with tablet devices specifically in mind. It's intention is to fit on tablet screen resolutions, and to have maximum space dedicated to the main content area, and thus minimise the need for scrolling. A lot of people now use these even from computer web browsers, and it works great for that too, and has become pretty much a standard for WHMCS admin areas with it's low graphics, and clean modern styling.

And with regards to auto detection, that would be pretty cool so yep, will look into how that could be done.

I see there has been several mentions about text variables not included in the language files. I just downloaded v5 and upgraded one of my WHMCS installations, but they seem to be missing still. Now, should we start replacing the text manually in the PHP files, or should we expect an update soon?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I really can't understand how these variables were missed during the beta testing? They should be extremely easy to spot.

Unfortunately not easy enough :) Both us and our test users all missed them but we are addressing it, and will be releasing V5.0.3 probably next week which we hope we'll have caught them all in.

has anyone found out how to localise the new feeds in v5.02 (formerly called widgets in the older versions) yet? I had started integrating information out of WHMCS such as product names, descriptions and pricing in real-time, using javascript, onto the static pages of my multilingual site using v4.52 and could make the localisation in the files in /widgets/domainpricing, /widgets/productpricing to show prices, for example, as €1.89 in the english site and €1,89 in the german site.

Now I have upgraded to v5.02, only to find that these files have been moved to the new /feeds/ directory and have all been encoded with ionCube, so there is no way to show users of the german site prices in the way they expected to see them.

The only thing that's changed is the name and location of these files. So as not to be confused with the new admin homepage widgets feature. There shouldn't be encoded so that is a mistake, and the files you previously had in the /widgets/ folder (and the code from inside them) should still work exactly as before so you can continue using those.

Just wanted to say congrats to Matt and the whmcs team for putting out such a solid release. I'm amazed that version 5 had so few bugs with all the improvements that were made. Your team has one of the best QA and release process I've seen in a long while!

Thanks, amongst all the questions and critiques in this thread, it's great to see some simple feedback - looking through this thread you might be forgiven for thinking there's been a lot of problems but actually this release has been one of our most successful to date, especially given the amount that went into it and the potential for problems, and it's a real big step forward for us both with what's there now, and what can be done in future. So thanks again, much appreciated :)

Any way to add Income Forecast in the sidebar ?

Tried getting the code but it comes unformatted and some kind creepy..

Too small for a widget but needed :)

The income forecast has been moved into a widget for this version, predominantly to offload the calculation times involved in that from the page loading to after the page has loaded (via ajax). As for large installations it can take a while otherwise. So there's not really an easy way of getting it back onto the sidebar, with some javascript code though you could have the widget do it from /modules/widgets/income_forecast.php

Nightmare...

now, in V5, using the SIMPLE template, now I find none of my to do's have carried over :-(

Any pointers guys...

The To-Do items should not go anywhere during an upgrade. All data in the database should be preserved. Did you maybe have a custom mod installed for this that needs re-applying? One other point of note however is that the "Simple" template has been discontinued as of V5, replaced by "Blend" which is predominantly the same, but better.

Suggestion:

Clicking "Order Hosting Only" from the index.php page without entering a domain redirects user to domainchecker.php. Redirecting to cart.php makes better sense 8)

This could lead to confuse first-time user.

The domain input validation does kick in before the redirects, but I guess we can look at doing this.

I see some strange behaviour in V5.0.2: PDF invoices are rended only in English, irrespective of customer's language. The only way of changing the invoice language is renaming english.php lang file into something else and overwritting the other language file over english.php

Can you please confirm this ?

This shouldn't be happening. PDF Language localisations should still be working in V5 so open a ticket if you continue to have problems with it.

Just noticed... This is the WHMCS release discussion thread in the general forum which is listed as "Post anything NOT related to WHMCS in here".

:D

I think we're allowed to break our own rules :P We just put it here because it's at the top of the forum where everybody can see it!

Matt

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming then that the template for a Tablet is the "Simple" template? I was looking for something which was obvious like "Tablet" template. This said, am I correct here?

Also @WHMCS it would be great to auto detect the device and apply the correct template i.e. if the admin area detects an iPad apply the appropriate template because we will quite often access from our desktops and iPads, thanks.

Auto-detecting the device itself would be the wrong way for WHMCS to go. Detect capabilities then work based on that.

We are looking into making a mobile-friendly version of our own web site, and it isn't a simple task. If browsers supported the "handheld" value for the media attribute of the <link> tag, it would be much easier, but most don't.

The simplest solution is to design a template for mobile first using css @media and device-width, then add on CSS styles for devices beyond that.

Google's infrastructure and CDN network means that for your website visitors, loading the font CSS styling from Google themselves should actually be quicker than even your own server in a lot of cases. And in our test scenarios, there was never any considerable impacts on load times.

Matt

Matt, it's good that you not experiencing this, but I did and so I asked, but I've removed this from. css and now my website come back to the same speed as it was before the update to v5.02

Our support team will be monitoring this thread over the coming days so please post any general questions or queries you have relating to Version 5 here and that way, we can hopefully relieve some of the pressure on our support desk with the same questions being repeated.

Thanks!

I paid for the upgrade and now NONE of my support emails are working. I asked for support on this yesterday through the ticket I originally used to pay for the upgrade, and have received no response.

My license is Owned-7e01f28c7bf20611e758

basically, my entire support system is down thanks to your "upgrade" that I paid for, please get someone on this matter immediately!

I have just upgraded to the new version and everything works fine. The only that the Admin V4 Template is not working for me.

The drop down menu on V4 is empty.

Any solution for this?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Regards,

Okoji