V5 Release Discussion

Matt

Hi Voodoo,

This really sounds like a templates_c issue to me, steps I usually follow when upgrading WHMCS

1) Database backup

2) Upload files overwriting the old ones

3) Access admin url and start upgrade

4) delete all files in templates_c

5) perform CSS and template edits

not with this upgrade, but in the past I ran into some random stuff like you are experiencing, the way I got around it was changing my steps a little:

1) Databse backup

2) rename whmcs folder to something else like "clients2"

3) upload files to a new folder "clients"

4) copy configuration.php from "clients2" to "clients"

5) if your templates_c folder is located out of root be sure to delete all files in it

6) copy downloads, attachments, hooks over from "clients2" into the new "clients"

6) peform css and template edits

everything was good after that

There really is no steps to do here. We are talking each time of a new install except for the database itself. No files are overwritten at all. I have upgraded this set of files a number of times through the years. The files in templates_c were also deleted after installation. Each time I have done this at this time different things are happening also. While I just did the install ...AGAIN...half the info that was in the other set of files is now missing again. Have to retype the TLD's and all info such as signatures, company name...etc.. Definitely weird. Just don't want to submit the ticket just yet . If nothing else I am for sure getting some practice in. I am not however doing the css or the header & footer just yet. Going to wait around an hour or so

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that's only true if you're American. For the rest of the world, maximise is quite correct.

Not to cause a rift between our American cousins but lets face it.... I think this side of the pond (England) should know how to spell our own words correctly.. just saying :)

Next you will want to add a "z" to Organise??? lol

clientareahome.tpl: "You have" shouldn't be on a language file ?

this too ?

clientareaproductdetails.tpl: <p>You have the following addons for this product.</p>

(I am talking always for the new default template)

Edited by chrismfz

Not to cause a rift between our American cousins but lets face it.... I think this side of the pond (England) should know how to spell our own words correctly.. just saying :)

It wasn't the "s" or the "z" that he was writing about. It was that the letter "i" was missing but it has since been fixed.

I just did it, so it is possible

edit the admin/templates/yourtemplate/homepage.tpl and add a homecol3 like so:

http://screencast.com/t/0IoBduzugVG

Then edit the style.css, and change it to 33% width:

http://screencast.com/t/OmcgvpjTyUp

-- Just need to figure out how to make it save if you place widgets on the 3rd col.. TBC

I know, if you read my post I said I did all that :P

And saving isn't the problem, the function saves 3cols of data into the DB perfectly fine, the issue is that that data is extracted and output as a Javascript array, but this part is hardcoded in the backend to only output 2 array slots (columns) worth, which is why it's not possible unless you get into forcing a PHP query in there to do the look up and extracting and parsing and outputting and then manually having the JS in the header tpl instead of as a smarty var etc etc

1. This sounds like a javascript conflict of some kind. Try removing all customisations and re-test. If you still have problems, open a ticket.

2. This is not new. If you have a lot of clients, generating a dropdown takes a while, so if you disable it you instead get a text field for inputting the client ID. Normally you would use intelligent search to locate a client, then use the add new order link from the client which would pre-fill the box.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I do not have any customisations except for a custom template (client side) I have selected the original portal template and the problem still exists.

When performing the upgrade to V5 i did a brand new install of the whmcs files itself and just carried over the database.

I will open a ticket and take this up further.

Regards

Shaun

I know, if you read my post I said I did all that :P

And saving isn't the problem, the function saves 3cols of data into the DB perfectly fine, the issue is that that data is extracted and output as a Javascript array, but this part is hardcoded in the backend to only output 2 array slots (columns) worth, which is why it's not possible unless you get into forcing a PHP query in there to do the look up and extracting and parsing and outputting and then manually having the JS in the header tpl instead of as a smarty var etc etc

Ahh ok gotcha, dang :(

Ahh ok gotcha, dang :(

Indeed, its rather annoying as in theory all it should need is for the backend code to loop through all of the stored data, then could just tweak the code and have as many columns as you like with very little tweaking... the ideal of course is that just a few extra lines of code in WHMCS can do this for you...

• WHMCS CEO
I just upgraded to v5 and now the admin is blank after I login. i have tried setting the templates_c folder to 777 and 755. i have also deleted all the files under templates_c, but still the admin wont work.

This would more often that not indicate that some of the new files have failed to upload properly so my first advice would be to try a full reupload, and if that doesn't resolve it, then try the advice @ http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=21317

I do not have any customisations except for a custom template (client side) I have selected the original portal template and the problem still exists.

When performing the upgrade to V5 i did a brand new install of the whmcs files itself and just carried over the database.

I will open a ticket and take this up further.

This is not the recommended way of upgrading. We would always advise you follow the upgrade steps exactly as we provide @ http://docs.whmcs.com/Upgrading but if we haven't already, I'm sure we'll get to your ticket soon.

Maybe im doing somehting wrong, but ordering and defualt template would be the placce I go to get the new 5.0 theme? What is it called? I tried all of the ones in that area and my site never looks like the new site... thanks in advance!

The new client area style has become the new "Default" template and so you need to select default in order to see that in Setup > General Settings > Template. And then for the order forms, we have 8 of them to choose from in Setup > General Settings > Ordering.

Matt

I only just purchased a WHMCS license through one of my VPS providers, and I must say that I'm very impressed with it overall. I can't compare to old versions, as I didn't use them however in a day I managed to setup and start automating a small number of clients.

The English have been speaking English for a few hundred years longer than the Americans, so I'm pretty sure their spelling of these words is correct.

(The opinion of an American living in UK. Now if only my new neighbors would drive on the "right" side of the road!)

The English have been speaking English for a few hundred years longer than the Americans, so I'm pretty sure their spelling of these words is correct.

(The opinion of an American living in UK. Now if only my new neighbors would drive on the "right" side of the road!)

Most comments on this are missing the point of the OP. There was a typo in the WHMCS text that said "maxmise" instead of "maximise or maximize". The OP was not asking WHMCS to change to the American spelling, it was pointing out the missing "i".

The Captcha (both old and Recaptcha) don't work on Bulk Domain check page, no error messages on any templates and it proceeds to check domains without validating it.

Edit: This also effects Bulk Transfer, so both bulk domain pages don't verify captcha

I can confirm this behaviour with the Bulk Domain Checker page. I've updated my template to include all relevant recaptcha tags, and WHMCS will always check for the domains when the recaptcha field is blank or incorrect. No errors are displayed to the user which should claim that they failed on the recaptcha.

Can anyone else confirm this, or even better, a WHMCS team member comment on it?

BTW, I have enabled Recaptcha in WHMCS Admin, and filled in the private/public keys after activating my domains in the Google Recaptcha website.

Thanks in advance!

What's up with the rounded corners on FF, and square corners on IE? Huge compatibility issue in my opinion....

Probably related to the fact that IE (sub-v9) is weak at supporting web standards. Using the "border-radius" CSS property doesn't work well (if at all) on IE versions earlier than 9.

We have not upgraded yet -- but I just went to the DEMO site, and when doing a domain availability check, and after that changing the currency (between USD and GBP), what I see in Firefox, latest version, on a Mac OSX computer is this:

テつ」1.82 GBP

Regards,

Frank

Hiya. Noticed that when we try to add an item to our cart (new default theme), the cart shows a blank page in IE6. Also noticed this occurs when trying to purchase items from the WHMCS.com site ..... We don't expect things to be pretty in IE6, but we can't have a blank page either .... any suggestions?