V5 Release Discussion

Matt

Just wondering, is the layout of the HTML and PDF invoices still looking as cheap and old fashioned that they did in v4? I tried the online demo, and as far as I can tell it seems the only thing changed is the way the "PAID", "UNPAID" and "REFUNDED" banners look in the new PDF invoice (I still don't really understand why the payment status has to be displayed in giant letters on the PDF invoice at all).

The reason I ask is that the first thing you see on the features page is "Professional Looking Invoices", so I thought they perhaps finally redesigned them..?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading this thread I am starting to wonder if upgrading to v5 is worth it. I personally do not like the new theme at all.... it looks rather darkish and by no means professional. Even the pdf invoices look the same other then the (un)paid location.

The only thing that "wowed" me was the clean layout for the admin dashboard, the rest wasn't impressive.

If you are going to make a big deal about a new version you gotta have a "wow" factor and I just don't see it here. Heck my custom portal theme looks better and so does my version of the admin side.

hi,

we updated to v5 20 hours ago. we are using resellerclub as domain registrar.

now, when we want to open domain details page of any costumer, we see following error: "CURL Error: 7 - couldn't connect to host (IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx & xxx.xxx.xxx.xxy)" there were no errors until now. is there any general problem with the version? is there anything that we need to do?

we whitelisted the ip address 3 hours ago on resellerclub.com panel to fix this problem (i read it on your article) but not fixed. and also, before that, we were using this for 2 years without any problem (without adding the ip to whitelist until today)

any ideas?

thanks

me too, how to fix it?

Have you re uploaded the files, you might have a corupt one.

I have just reinstalled again after re downloading new files and still have the same issues. Income, News Feed, System Overview, and Income Forecast all remain at Loading as well as the activity log saying Email Sending Failed - You must provide at least one recipient email address

Great to see v5 out, which simply means WHMCS is getting better.

I personally and would like to see a release with all bug fixes as we cannot operate a live site and having so many bugs in the script.

Looking forward to a better release before upgrading as i did 2 days ago and most features was not working.

Thanks

You know you can move and/or close the widgets on the homepage right? I love all the information on the ADMIN homepage, plus developers will now start making homepage widgets, a calendar would be great :)

Haha, That is another thing that is not working. I cannot close any of them or move them. I can move them but they don't save there once you change pages

Great to see v5 out, which simply means WHMCS is getting better.

I personally and would like to see a release with all bug fixes as we cannot operate a live site and having so many bugs in the script.

Looking forward to a better release before upgrading as i did 2 days ago and most features was not working.

Thanks

I just went back to the previous version until the new one is squared away. I had renamed the old folder as opposed to overwriting so only needed to upload the old database

The Captcha (both old and Recaptcha) don't work on Bulk Domain check page, no error messages on any templates and it proceeds to check domains without validating it.

Edit: This also effects Bulk Transfer, so both bulk domain pages don't verify captcha

Edited by dansgalaxy

• WHMCS CEO
Just wondering, is the layout of the HTML and PDF invoices still looking as cheap and old fashioned that they did in v4?

Wow sounds like you really loved the old ones? :) V5 does have some updates to the invoice looks, but nobody has ever commented to us they looked cheap and old fashioned before! The HTML invoices have been updated with some new styling, and the PDF has been updated to include a colored status banner, full transaction history, and generation date/time.

After reading this thread I am starting to wonder if upgrading to v5 is worth it. I personally do not like the new theme at all.... it looks rather darkish and by no means professional... The only thing that "wowed" me was the clean layout for the admin dashboard, the rest wasn't impressive.

Everyone has there own opinions when it comes to design, but the brand new client area design in V5 is a major step forward for us. It's predominantly using white & greys so should be nice and light, and is much more easily customisable via CSS, as well as flexible for integrating into site designs, bringing with it a number of major advantages over the previous 2 options.

As for overall though, the product bundles feature is something that no other web host billing system matches (yet! sure it won't be long given how beneficial it is), new & improved domain management tools, admin area new features & enhancements such as the quick toggle client options, mass module commands, automatic prorata adjustments, email marketer, and more make V5 a major new update with tools that nearly every user should be able to benefit from.

I have just reinstalled again after re downloading new files and still have the same issues. Income, News Feed, System Overview, and Income Forecast all remain at Loading...

From the sounds of it, you have some old caching problems, with files not updated, and/or database changes having not taken full effect. If a reupload doesn't resolve it you probably need to put in a ticket.

I kind of agree. It feels a bit cluttered at times on the home page.

Maybe just need to give it a bit of time to get used to? The new layout means you can hide/remove what you don't want, and arrange the page exactly as you wish, infact each staff member can setup their own layout, which should only help make things less cluttered and more customised to exactly how you like it.

I can assure you the majority of features are working with absolutely no issues in V5. We are however seeing lots of people not clearing browser or template caches, and not uploading new admin files to custom admin folder names and then thinking things aren't working, so do make sure you check that :)

Matt

• WHMCS CEO
Matt, congratulations

I have two small things:

1) maybe it's been said, but I have seen a hardcoded "You have" string in client area (You have 2 outstanding invoices ....); you should add a {$LANG.youhave} variable for it;

2) if I send the translated Romanain language translation (GPL license), can it be added to the "official" WHMCS distribution ?

Thanks, yep I think someone has reported #1 somewhere, but we'll get that fixed up with a combined string for "You have x outstanding invoices..." in case there's some languages where the order of those words would need to be different.

And absolutely, if you're willing to contribute your translation back to us for inclusion in the releases then we'd certainly appreciate that. Just drop us a line via ticket.

Matt

Sorry Matt, it is not a problem with caching and all files uploaded 2 times. I never overwrote a file to begin with. I renamed the old folder & uploaded all new. I only customize header & footer so its not an issue to do that at all. As for database changes not taking full effect??? Only thing I could do in that respect is get rid of the old database.

Hi Matt

For whmcs systems which do not sell domains, why not forward and disable these links for security proposes?

I give you an example, you are not selling domains but I am still able to see the zone...

https://www.whmcs.com/members/clientarea.php?action=domains

Why not disable urls you are not using? Here is another one

http://www.whmcs.com/members/knowledgebase.php

You've always been able to do this - in v4.5 it's as simple as changing the foreach in admin template homepage.tpl

to

{foreach key=num from=$todoitems item=todoitem}
snip

To only show "yours":D

othellotech! You're a rockstar! Seriously. Been wanting this for a long time!

Hello Matt,

can you please take a look at posts #39 and #131 on this thread?

If need be I can open a support ticket to give details, but overall this is the situation:

- You're on the homepage, enter a domain

- click to check if it's free

- You're notified that the captcha is wrong (remember, there was no captcha on the first page)

- Now you need to enter again the domain and the captcha, which on this page appears.

This needs to be solved. I have no idea how (probably by adding the captcha on the first page too).

Well I'm confused as I have uploaded the new version 5.02 and it was an upgrade to the previous 4.5 or whatever..

I cannot seem to see any of the errors that have been described (well nothing glaringly bad anyway) and all I did was follow the simple steps:

1. Backed up my database

2. Backed up the existing files in the folder directory we use for the software

3. I then logged in as admin and reset the templates back to the WHMCS default ones - I had like most others modded some bits. So my orderforms and template for client area were loading unmodified files from the original WHMCS software

4. I then cleared my browser cache - completely cleared it all

5. Copied over ALL files into the directory, and then renamed the admin folder to match my admin-folder-name

6. Uploaded ALL the files and after the upload but before running the upgrade install, I DELETED all files in the templates_c directory from the server - clearing the server cache too.

7. Ran the upgrade

8. Deleted the install folder

And everything seems to work just as it should. Obviously now I've been adding back in what I want and so forth, but I can't see the problems that people have experienced. Maybe I'm blind - please don't answer that!!! :lol:

• WHMCS CEO
Any news reguarding the income loading issue?

There's no issue we can find. Only cause we've seen when looking at instances of this so far have been either cache or not updated templates.

@ljesh & lance: See posts #118 & #127 - they contain the solution.

Everything seems to work just as it should. Obviously now I've been adding back in what I want and so forth, but I can't see the problems that people have experienced. Maybe I'm blind - please don't answer that!!! :lol:

Don't worry, it's the same for the majority of users :)

@ matt, can we be a little more specific than :-

Just copying the image tag as used in domainchecker.tpl should work.

or can a page with this already be done added to the bug fixes part.... Dont mean to moan, V5 is great, really liking it, just little niggles that happen with all releases of something new, keep up the great work guys.

Thanks Matt

I do have one question - and obviously you will know the answer. I'm using the portal for the client area which I think looks very smart by the way. I edited the header.tpl file so I could have my custom header at the top, but the links have a dropdown on them. It all worked fine, except that the dropdown links actually hid themselves behind the topbar, so instead of them appearing in front of it, they will falling down behind the topbar navigation. I can send you a link by PM so you can see what I mean

(Just realised Private Messaging is switched off)

Edited by 123Simples
No Private Messaging available