Wish List for WHMCS v8

yggdrasil

On 1/31/2020 at 6:31 PM, CodeCo said:

I tried looking into making a custom admin area theme however its a lot less customisable. If they were to make it fully responsive, they could make it a progressive web app so that it acts just like a native app. 

There are a few good ones out there. In fact, the best of the best isn't even close to that expensive. It runs $15, is responsive (IIRC), and the dev is absolutely on top of updates.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:05 AM, zomex said:

I would really like to see both iWHMCS and aWHMCS dropped

They need to just leave themes to outside developers, really. 

On 1/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, CodeCo said:

It is very unlikely that they'll remove the post.

LOL.... Think again 😉

On 1/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, CodeCo said:

they are working though them still.

They are working on the ones they want to work on, denying the other ones exist, or simply just not addressing them... So they're not working on ALL the issues, but being picky about the ones they choose to address.

2 minutes ago, twhiting9275 said:

There are a few good ones out there. In fact, the best of the best isn't even close to that expensive. It runs $15, is responsive (IIRC), and the dev is absolutely on top of updates.

They need to just leave themes to outside developers, really. 

LOL.... Think again 😉

They are working on the ones they want to work on, denying the other ones exist, or simply just not addressing them... So they're not working on ALL the issues, but being picky about the ones they choose to address.

I guess I have too much hope for the WHMCS management team. I hope they can prove me right by the end of the year. 😄

10 hours ago, CodeCo said:

I guess I have too much hope for the WHMCS management team.

is that the same team that thought v7.8 was ready for release, but later found that there were 50+ bugs within it, needed 3 maintenance releases in a month and was still left with unfixed bugs whilst their focus moved onto beta testing v7.9 ?

52 minutes ago, brian! said:

is that the same team that thought v7.8 was ready for release, but later found that there were 50+ bugs within it, needed 3 maintenance releases in a month and was still left with unfixed bugs whilst their focus moved onto beta testing v7.9 ?

I guess so. 😂

When I first started using WHMCS, I pretty much hated the software entirely for its design in a year as recent as 2018 and the awful URLs, and a bunch of other reasons however I just have this feeling that this year something might change?

Who knows, might be entirely wrong, 7.9 was riddled with bugs on release, same with 7.8 as you said. 

Edited by CodeCo

There is a lot of things to highlight, starting to make WHMCS admin not so encrypted with those name WHMCS branded on all pop up. I think WHMCS software could get better sales, if not encrypt some things that would allow developers to customize it.

If v8 comes with same client summary page, I will definitely hire some one to develop a more modern one for me. Currently client summary page has a lot of information, but I think it is outdate, not modern one, personally I think it is ugly 😣 those information could be better rearranged. 

image.thumb.png.e763ac3448010c716ff2b355e3f8e79d.png

- Add possibility to view ticket with html code on a browser;

- I really need to check out more future requests I have opened on past.

PS: a  lot of things bu I like WHMCS software.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, zitu4life said:

There is a lot of things to highlight, starting to make WHMCS admin not so encrypted with those name WHMCS branded on all pop up. I think WHMCS software could get better sales, if not encrypt some things that would allow developers to customize it.

If v8 comes with same client summary page, I will definitely hire some one to develop a more modern one for me. Currently client summary page has a lot of information, but I think it is outdate, not modern one, personally I think it is ugly 😣 those information could be better rearranged. 

image.thumb.png.e763ac3448010c716ff2b355e3f8e79d.png

- Add possibility to view ticket with html code on a browser;

- I really need to check out more future requests I have opened on past.

PS: a  lot of things bu I like WHMCS software.

I actually agree with alot on this post! The Management staff are great folks. I've had many of them go above and beyond scope to help on an issue. 

I would agree that WHMCS should be more open source. While I can see the need to IonCube it, the competitor Blesta only has 3 files encoded, and they use MVC framework, instead of Smarty. You have other billing systems, like ClientEx that are encoded though. It's all to protect the code. I do believe though that more of WHMCS should be opened up to developers. On some products I am building, I am learning to add on to the WHMCS API, to interact with the database. I can't wait to see what the feature holds for WHMCS.

I don't want to sound petulant but every time people talk about what is needed in WHMCS, the thread usually focuses on the app, admin interface, templates and open source. We have people asking to replace Smarty, Laravel or whatever with -insert any library here- just because it's newer and used by -insert any popular CMS/CRM here-.

We don't need that. It'll make things worse not better. That's my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Kian said:

We don't need that. It'll make things worse not better. That's my opinion.

Yes, that true all they need to do is fix bug and no feature on the next version. I don't care is encode I can work with that 

6 hours ago, bear said:

Smarty is the templating system, WHMCS uses Laravel framework, I believe.

You would be correct

My guess would be they'll move to Laravel v6.... Of course, this would be 100% speculation, rumor, conjecture and all that, but I'd say it's a fairly safe bet, given the fact that we (likely) won't see 8 till next year at the very, very earliest (beta/alpha phase). This would give them plenty of time to start whatever upgrade process is needed

Again, just a speculation 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:24 AM, yggdrasil said:

Longer Releases

Longer LTS releases. They are not long releases if they only last a year. Look how Microsoft does it, 10-15 years. Or even Red Hat. The people using LTS are companies or enterprises and I'm not saying WHMCS should support them 10 years, but seriously 1 year or just a bit longer? Most developers even support their normal releases for at least 3 years. The LTS should be a minimum 3 years unless the PHP or code they rely on is not supported anymore, which is a different story. Can you imagine if everyone else did the same to WHMCS developers? Imagine if PHP was only supported 1 year, or Smarty, or anything. It would be a nightmare for them. So if they are aware that they rely on such much external code now, they should give the same considerations towards their customers. Not everyone has the time to update and make all their integrations the day they are released. This is a billing and cloud/hosting automation software. Not a blog like WordPress!!! And with that I mean security patches. Not even bug fixes. They don't have to even fix bugs or release new features on those versions. But please, at least still support them with security patches for 3 years after launch. It's the responsible thing to do.

Better Mobile

Mobile app is not updated for years. Show more love or open it up so we can add things. I have to rely on external services for ticket notifications and other things when this makes no sense if you have a mobile app. Instead of building things for something like Slack I'm seriously disappointed that WHMCS developers give more attention to external services then their own products. I can receive mobile notifications on third party services but not push notifications on my WHMCS mobile app. Shocking their own products are left to die.

This!!

The supported versions are crazy. Please, we don't need all versions have LTS, but you can relase, por example, 8.2 LTS, and support it for a few years. We have LTS on CentOS, on cPanel, on PHP... but WHMCS has a crazy time from beta to EOL. For tiny companies, this is a big effort to stay update and test everything.

Also, the mobile support of the admin area it's very poor, a little improvement will be well received.