Expert question: Default Currency ID change

sitesme

Hi,

We have setup our WHMCS in AED currency but we need to change to USD now for the automatic exchange rates to work properly.

The problem is that we set manually (in the database) the USD with default=1 but USD has id=3 on the database and it messes up with the automatic exchange rates so we we need to replace AED to USD on id=1.

I need assistance with the following (with the right MySQL commands) if anyone can help?

1) Make USD as the default currency but with ID=1, replacing AED currency - this is easy and I can do it manually in the database.

2) Create AED as ID=4 (doesn't exist yet) but I can easily create under the admin area

3) ADVANCED level now: make a mass change in the database to change all currencies from ID=1 to ID=4 so they can keep the exact same currency. Is the command something like this?

UPDATE `tblclients` SET  `currency` =  '4' WHERE  `currency`=3;

There is no need to update any other clients' currencies, we can do this manually as there are not that many.

The only problem / concern is that I would like all invoices / quotations as they are (no change of currency) which I think it won't affect, right?

As far as I know, the currencies will only affect the products pricing and the clients preferred currency, but please confirm if this is the case.

I highly appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thank you a lot

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

We do not recommend changing the default currency once you have invoices and orders in the system. Changing a client's currency will change the symbol, but it won't automatically convert the service prices, invoice and transaction history into the appropriate amount in the new currency. That would need to be done manually.

Hi John,

Thank you for the update but just to clarify: all the users will have the exact same currency but with just a different ID. I don't see a problem with this if I am doing everything in the right order and with the right SQL commands. All invoices, service prices and transaction history will be in the original currency as always.

I just need help with the commands, that's all.

Edited by sitesme

Hi,

We do not recommend changing the default currency once you have invoices and orders in the system. Changing a client's currency will change the symbol, but it won't automatically convert the service prices, invoice and transaction history into the appropriate amount in the new currency. That would need to be done manually.

Any idea if this mega la*e behavior of whmcs multi-currency will change in the future ? I think i never saw a product with multi-currency that has such a worse implementation. I love whmcs , don't get me wrong , but please ..... we are close to 2016 and you still maintain this really bad implementation of the multi-currency , it would have been probably the best time to make changes to the multi-currency system with the 6.0 release.

For me, I would be very happy if we could change the default currency to any other.

Since we added AED as our unique currency, it was the default one for all these years.

Now that we need to add USD and EUR it just messes up with the automatic exchange rate because none of them follows AED which does not make much sense.

This is why we need all these changes to fix what should be easy to fix from the beginning.

Still waiting for some help.

• 4 years later...