[Case #2537] Nominet module does not pass Ltd comp number

Hi

The new Nominet files release 22/07/2013 do not pass the Ltd company number to Nominet and errors with:

V074 Company Number required for UK Limited and Public Limited Companies

Despite the Ltd company number being present for the domain.

I raised a ticket and was advised that you can replicate it but it will only be resolved in future releases.

Due to it being broken by an update pushed out by WHMCS I respectfully request it be given a higher priority as it is a fundamental part of the module not a nicety that could wait for example changing IPS TAG change.

Thanks

Paul Nesbitt

We have had confirmation today that they are aware of this and it will be addressed in a 'future release' (filed as bug #2941). Sorry, that's not acceptable by any means. If the module had not been rushed through at the last minute we would have an option to switch back to in the meantime. This however is bordering on negligence now by WHMCS in my opinion and yet another thing recently that makes me lose confidence in this as a product. What is going on there? Support is rocketing downhill...

We have had confirmation today that they are aware of this and it will be addressed in a 'future release' (filed as bug #2941). Sorry, that's not acceptable by any means. If the module had not been rushed through at the last minute we would have an option to switch back to in the meantime. This however is bordering on negligence now by WHMCS in my opinion and yet another thing recently that makes me lose confidence in this as a product. What is going on there? Support is rocketing downhill...

Absolutely agree. This is horrendous, they've left hundreds of registrars without a system to properly register .UK domains.

Also, the module is NOT using the Registrant name provided. It's actually using the contact/Account Organisation.

And then uses the Registrant as a Trading name, resulting in invalid registrations left right and centre... Which I'll have to clean up - Thanks WHMCS!

This is ridiculous.

We have had confirmation today that they are aware of this and it will be addressed in a 'future release' (filed as bug #2941). Sorry, that's not acceptable by any means.

Completely agree. WHMCS need to prioritising fixing this straight away. They have broken key functionality with a bungled update and should be doing everything that they can to fix it immediately.

If the module had not been rushed through at the last minute we would have an option to switch back to in the meantime.

WHMCS' handling of the Nominet EPP changes was quite frankly pathetic. Nominet have been warning their members about the EPP schema withdrawls for months, yet WHMCS only manage to ship an updated Nominet EPP module 4 days before hand!

I raised a ticket with WHMCS in March asking them about the Nominet EPP schema changes and was assured that WHMCS were aware of this. I chased them repeatedly as the date drew closer and closer but was fobbed off each time.

This however is bordering on negligence now by WHMCS in my opinion and yet another thing recently that makes me lose confidence in this as a product. What is going on there? Support is rocketing downhill...

I received this patronising response when I raised concerns with Nominet about their handling of the Nominet EPP schema update:

I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. However, as we have known of this impending issue related to the Nominet withdrawl of the EPP Schemas, we have been meticulously working toward a patch for this. As a result, it has indeed taken us longer than we had originally hoped due to unforseen issues and certain circumstances as this is not the only issue we are currently addressing. I can assure you that you most certainly can rely on WHMCS and our team to make sure that we do not leave our customers stranded. As far as your issue on vendor lock. We encode our software to the highest extent to prevent security issues as well as piracy and illegal distribution of our copyrighted software. As far as the update for nominet, you can certainly download it from our blog post @ http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=75526 and I have also as a courtesy attached the download file to this reply. And just a friendly reminder from Nominet regarding the EPP Schema update: http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/news/system-announcements/july-2013-release

If you have anything else, please do let us know. Thanks again!

WHMCS' handling of the Nominet EPP changes was quite frankly pathetic. Nominet have been warning their members about the EPP schema withdrawls for months, yet WHMCS only manage to ship an updated Nominet EPP module 4 days before hand!

I raised a ticket with WHMCS in March asking them about the Nominet EPP schema changes and was assured that WHMCS were aware of this. I chased them repeatedly as the date drew closer and closer but was fobbed off each time.

Well, I wasn't originally going to point it out publically but following another unacceptable response to my ticket today from them regarding this I thought I'd provide some more detail on this after one of my staff spoke to Nominet this week. Apparently the reason that the discontinuation of the old schemas was delayed was because of WHMCS. Nominet had been trying to work with them to get this implemented, however this still was rushed through at the last minute and has broken functionality.

WHMCS, from a custom service perspective it really appears that you don't give a toss about us. The way things are going at the moment you're in danger of passing a tipping point where the product is abandoned by your users.... Take a step back from the changes that you're making internally and address the issues to hand. It doesn't take a genius to read the forms and see you have some major problems, but some prioritisation needs to be given to this.

The issue with the company ID number is a serious show stopper. Our customers are not going to take us seriously if we tell them we can't provide a basic domain registration service. I also agree that it is not acceptable for WHMCS to say that they will fix it in a future release - this needs fixing quickly.

I don't understand why they are spending time working on adding new features, when in some areas, the basic fundamental functionality of their product simply isn't there. I'm sure we'd all rather sacrifice new modules and features for a few months, if they spent that time on cleaning up bugs and getting the current modules all working properly.

I've been looking at the EPP documentation on the Nominet website and although I'm not a programmer- it looks incredibly simple to implement for any half decently skilled developer. The commands are very straightforward.

They must have someone very junior working on this - that's the only explanation I can think of for the delays and the issues with it - it just seems so amateur! They need to put an experienced developer onto this and get it fixed up as soon as possible.

It also amazes me that they have never included the transfer checking in the Nominet module - considering it takes just one single API command to determine whether a domain has been moved to your tag. It would take no more than five minutes for them to include this - yet it's been missing from WHMCS for years! We switched from a different product - which had better Nominet functionality than WHMCS as far back as 2006, including auto updating of a domain's status and a better working signup form. There is no validation of the registration details in the WHMCS version. For an application that is supposed to be designed specifically for the purpose of registering domains, it is very sadly lacking.

This module is like a poorly written first attempt by a college student who's just learning PHP. Frankly, for a commercial application aimed at domain registration providers, its an embarrassment.

It would also appear that when a client wants to change a IPSTAG - the domain is removed from their client area,BUT the TAG is not changed!

Anyone else having the same problem?

I can confirm that this functionality is working as expected for us. We have two tags and I just tested this by attempting to release a domain from one to the other. The domain was removed and the tag was changed accordingly.

The issue with the company ID number is a serious show stopper.

I would also say it is also a legal issue as under the Companies Act the Company Reg. Number must be displayed, so it is a matter of urgency that this gets fixed and not just palmed off with 'it will be fixed in a future release'

When placing an order through admin (add order); the Nominet module does not use the entered registrant type and name.

Registrant Type reverts to "Unknown". Looking at the Nominet site, the dropdown options for type between Nominet and WHMCS admin also don't seem to match.

Registrant Name reverts to use the client's account name, even if a new name is entered as the domain belongs to someone else.

If a company number is entered, then this is ignored. I don't get an error though, as Registrant Type is Unknown, so the requirement for a company number is not triggered.

I'm currently having to manually chase up each domain with Nominet to get it modified to the correct details.

WHMCS version: 5.1.2

Nominet module version from 8 July 2013, 11:57AM

To replicate:

Go to client's account in WHMCS

Click on "add order"

Add a domain registration order for UK domain with a different name & a registrant type

Check the WHOIS details on Nominet site - they do not match the entered details

Please advise of a fix.

Many thanks.