Convert contacts to users

battles

7 minutes ago, battles said:

I'm glad WHMCS finally came around to introducing this, however is there a way to convert our years and years of contacts/sub accounts into users?

I think during install/upgrade, sub accounts are automatically duplicated to users - though contacts won't be as they can't login... at least that's what occurred on my v8 dev

i'm not sure if you can convert/invite a contact to become a user from the admin area.

14 hours ago, battles said:

I can confirm that none of our clients with contacts had any of those contacts converted to users.

what about contacts who were sub accounts - were they not converted/duplicated?

I had a test account on the v7.10 dev that had 3 contacts - 2 were sub accounts (meaning they could log in), and one was just a contact.... upon upgrading the database to v8, the sub accounts were made users (associated under the owner account), and all 3 are still contacts.

if you had sub accounts and no similar change was made for you, then it might be worth contacting Support and seeing if they have a conversion script / SQL query to make the changes.

I think it would be expected behaviour for contacts without sub accounts not to be converted to users - they couldn't login as contacts before, so why should they need to login now as users ?

4 hours ago, battles said:

It seems very hit or miss. I'm seeing one account where 1 of 2 sub contacts were converted to users. Most have not converted any sub contacts to users.

looking at the tblcontacts table in v8, the subaccount column has been reset to 0 for all contacts - so there might not be an easy way now to distinguish which contacts were subaccounts and which weren't.

• 3 months later...

For the benefit of anyone else that might this same issue. We had to wait and didn't upgrade from WHMCS 7.10.2 and upgraded directly to WHMCS 8.0.4 in mid December, 2020.

And we are finding that many of our Sub-Accounts did NOT get upgraded to a User, they were downgraded to a Contacts. Working on best way to correct this now.

1 hour ago, R-n-R said:

And we are finding that many of our Sub-Accounts did NOT get upgraded to a User, they were downgraded to a Contacts. Working on best way to correct this now.

also, take a look at the post below in case you think some of your users might need to be both users and contacts.