Smarty template adjustments causing blank screen

paperweight

I am upgrading our template to Smart 3.x and WHMCS 6.x. I have an issue with adding PHP to Smarty. I originally had this:

{php}
$userid = $this->_tpl_vars['clientsdetails']['id'];
$result = mysql_query("SELECT *,tblhosting.id as serviceid FROM tblhosting,tblproducts WHERE userid =$userid AND tblhosting.packageid= tblproducts.id AND tblhosting.domainstatus='Active'");
$services = array();
while ($data = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
array_push($services, $data);
}
$this->_tpl_vars['services'] = $services;
{/php}

And then changed it to this, which I think is correct Smarty:

{php}
$userid = $template->getTemplateVars('clientsdetails', 'id');
$result = mysql_query("SELECT *,tblhosting.id as serviceid FROM tblhosting,tblproducts WHERE userid =$userid AND tblhosting.packageid= tblproducts.id AND tblhosting.domainstatus='Active'");
$services = array();
while ($data = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
array_push($services, $data);
}
$template->getVariable('services') = $services;
{/php}

That looks correct, right? I'm getting a blank page when I load the tpl with this code on it. Any idea why?

Also if you need to quickly fix this then as per the WHMCS upgrade documentation, http://docs.whmcs.com/Version_6.0_Release_Notes#Upgrade_to_Smarty_3

By default Smarty 3 disallows the use of Smarty php tags in template files. However, we know a lot of custom templates and modules rely on this functionality and so we have introduced a backwards compatibility setting in Setup > General Settings > Security named "Allow Smarty PHP Tags". This setting is disabled by default (which is recommended), but if your custom templates or installed third party addons/modules require it, you can turn it on here.