New Ajax Order Form

ExsysHost

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're at a point where we will implement a new website soon. If we change the order form's layout now, we might need additional work in the future on the new order form, right?

So we're too very curious about the new form and when it will be released.

Right, if we would say that to our customers, we would be laughed at in the face. When do you expect your new server(s) to be delivered? When it's ready? That's not how our company works and I assume the same goes for WHMCS.

I'm not implying any urgency though. It's a reasonable question to ask when something is finished if there's a chance you might get work done for nothing: meaning, it will cost us money.

Right, if we would say that to our customers, we would be laughed at in the face. When do you expect your new server(s) to be delivered? When it's ready? That's not how our company works and I assume the same goes for WHMCS.

I'm not implying any urgency though. It's a reasonable question to ask when something is finished if there's a chance you might get work done for nothing: meaning, it will cost us money.

Hardly the same thing. If you have not got a "new" server then you can not make sales, or you are selling something that you can not provide at the moment.

Whmcs still works whether the new order form is released today or next month.

As a footnote: Matt did say in another thread that the next version of whmcs should be released by the end of the month. I would imagine that the Ajax order form would be released at the same time if it is ready.

You are partly right. Of course it's not exactly the same, but I wouldn't say hardly.

If you need to invest in in something, you might want to know what to expect, at least, that's what I want. We're investing in a new website, in a migration to WHMCS and in additional modules, also through sponsored development. If there are changes which might influence those investments in the very near future, I do want to know when. A 'when it's ready' does not close it for me.

Either way, software development works with deadlines, or at least expected ones. We're not the company to pin someone down on a day or in rare ocassions a week, but there have to be deadlines or else you can't be taken seriously in my opinion.

• WHMCS Support Manager

We don't release incomplete software simply to meet speculative deadlines. All our releases are made when the software is complete and has been thoroughly tested on as many different systems as possible.

It's not helpful to us if we set a deadline, find a bug and as a result miss it. We'd receive many more complaints that we've missed the release date.

You are partly right. Of course it's not exactly the same, but I wouldn't say hardly.

If you need to invest in in something, you might want to know what to expect, at least, that's what I want. We're investing in a new website, in a migration to WHMCS and in additional modules, also through sponsored development. If there are changes which might influence those investments in the very near future, I do want to know when. A 'when it's ready' does not close it for me.

Either way, software development works with deadlines, or at least expected ones. We're not the company to pin someone down on a day or in rare ocassions a week, but there have to be deadlines or else you can't be taken seriously in my opinion.

I do understand your point, and I partly agree. But in my opinion, I would prefer them to release them when they have been intensively tested, rather than release them because they are behind on a completion date given.

I have used a different billing system before (modernbill), and they would give eta., invariably the estimated completion date would slip, and slip, resulted in numerous posts on their forum of people going mad because it was not ready.

The best example was with V5. The anticipated release date kept being changed, time and time again, the forum posts got rather heated about it. In the end, when they released it, it was extremely buggy, and resource intensive, and the same people that had been screaming about the 'late release', where now complaining about it.

I admit, I got caught up in the "enthusiasm", and was guilty of pushing for a release. So now I tend to have an attitude of "it will be ready when it's ready", I would rather they worked out 99% of the bugs before releasing it, rather than working to an eta.

We don't release incomplete software simply to meet speculative deadlines. All our releases are made when the software is complete and has been thoroughly tested on as many different systems as possible.

It's not helpful to us if we set a deadline, find a bug and as a result miss it. We'd receive many more complaints that we've missed the release date.

I agree. Unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone.

And I'm happy they are. Don't get me wrong, even though we haven't switched to WHMCS yet, we are still confident in the product's future. Let's blame my liking of deadlines on my background as project manager. I always like to know where we're at, and that means deadlines. In my experience, vague communication will always result in speculation or unhappiness due to unexpected results.

I have used a different billing system before (modernbill), and they would give eta., invariably the estimated completion date would slip, and slip, resulted in numerous posts on their forum of people going mad because it was not ready.

They were never competent of delivering a good billing solution. You couldn't expect them to deliver a proper v5 solution regardless of any deadline ;-). We shouldn't compare them to WHMCS, that's not fair.

Hmm since I am the thread poster.... I did not mention anything about deadlines or anything , I simply requested a news update or possibly screenshot teasers.

The original news announcement said there would be news updates on twitter but there has not been in over a month.

• WHMCS CEO

The new Ajax form is going to be included in our next major release - V4.3. The V4.3 beta will be released later this month with the stable hopefully following early next

The updates are all occuring in the private beta testers section of the forum but for those of you desperate to see how it looks & works I've uploaded it to the online demo so you can preview it at the urls below: :)

http://demo.whmcs.com/order/?systpl=default

http://demo.whmcs.com/order/?systpl=default&pid=1

http://demo.whmcs.com/order/?systpl=portal&pid=5

And remember, this isn't just a new template but a fully open source alternative order form, so the look & process can be customised by the developers amongst you out there in any and every way possible.

Matt