Community Supported Knowledge Base

Pima

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vT16,

You have very interesting point, because since a lot of business owners would have a direct dependency on that WIKI knowledge-base and be a primary stakeholders, then no one should worry about spending a lot of their precious time maintaining and moderating WIKI, because a lot of us, as direct stakeholders, would be glad to volunteer to do the task for as little as 1 hour a week.

And technically speaking, KB doesn't need to be within WHMCS. It can be done without any particular styling or formating, just like plain KB database (maybe with API) for users to integrate it within their websites, without any need of redirecting.

Or, back to original point of this thread and to keep KB in WHMCS friendly format, it should be available freely for us to use, edit, and contribute without any restrictions. Or someone have to start a new KB with this purpose and features. And we shouldn't fear of someone misusing it because we are all direct stakeholders as we will use that KB in our businesses.

This is all very interesting, but need some more input! Or, as I personally don't mind, populate your own knowledge base and enjoy it. I do not see any difficulty in creating amazing and rich KB by myself (and for myself), and I don't think any of us would have any difficulty with this task at all, as long as we are not lazy. And that is it!

Sincerely,

Serg

Edited by HostBizLng

Why not use a WIKI to link against? And avoid using the WHMCS Knowledgebase... But instead re-redirect the clients to a rich and user-friendly knowledgebase in wiki format.

Why not just give them a link to google as well? =P

it should be available freely for us to use, edit, and contribute without any restrictions.

If you're free to use, edit and contribute without restrictions, why not simply start your own? I never quite got the concept here of a shared KB, feeling it was not a simple thing to share properly or fairly.

With the time you guys have wasted on this, you could have written a few hundred articles yourself.

Be original and do some work.

:idea: "bingo" :idea:

• Make it a point to write one per day, or even every other day.
  • Stick to that schedule.
  • Have support employees take notes on questions that are asked, and make a list.
  • Have someone compare these to the articles that already exist. Give that/those employee(s) a small bonus per unique article they write during "down" time, as an incentive to write some. A little extra for screen caps...

Build it for yourself, and the money you spend with your employees to have it done will gain you customers, loyal employees and simplify support some. Not much down side. The more articles you do, the less you get asked for easy things.

Support costs eventually decrease a bit, life is good. :)

We've developed a 250-article inhouse-wiki over a year following bear's strategy. Coffee at our weekly team meeting is free for those who have done a wiki that week! Nearly everyone does one, every week. (KB entries and predefined ticket answers count too!).

Of course, it's not just about your Knowledgebase, there are other areas that can be worked on to reduce support, for instance, sending helpful emails from cpanel. For instance, the old gem of people trying to POP from their cpanel account - they never get any email, but it appears to work as a POP server, so they can't figure out why they don't get email!

Hello bear and Daniel,

"Daniel - With the time you guys have wasted on this, you could have written a few hundred articles yourself."

-----------------------------------------------------

"Bear - If you're free to use, edit and contribute without restrictions, why not simply start your own? I never quite got the concept here of a shared KB, feeling it was not a simple thing to share properly or fairly."

I am absolutely agree with you!

Daniel, You right with bear, but I do not feel as if I wasted time exploring different thoughts and things I can try while reading this forum. But both of you are so right about just creating our own KBs, created to our specific marketing requirements and needs of our 'different businesses' in the same 'hosting/web' market.

Daniel, just like you, I didn't got the concept of creating shared KB too, but it sounds so tempting to create a KB collaboration wiki, created, maintained, edited, and contributed by industry people, and business owners. But as I noted earlier, in my previous posts, I truly believe that there is no difficulty to create KB, a one that would speak to particular market each one of us in. I am truly pro - create-your-own-KB, and enjoy to share it with your particular customers.

But we still could start industry WIKI, just to share and enrich information (which we can use to create, edit, and enrich our KBs,) or draw new ideas for our 'private' KBs and industry in general. Possible and useful! I would support it. But at the same time, there probably are sites like that already exist, so we just have to make sure and research, or start one for WHMCS members only?

Good luck to all!

Sincerely,

Serg

Edited by HostBizLng

Now i am confused, you want the link to MY own website?

Yes, this is only to validate that you use WHMCS and private

Do you have to contribute an article before gaining access to the KB?

No, If you have none you can use what is available as a "Starting" place, and hopefully you will contribute back.

Tell me this, what's there in your KB that is not already and freely available on the internet?

Anyway, keep it up. And hopefully it would be available publicly and freely,

Specifically, as has been eluded to, there is a "start" de-branded KB in WHMCS format and a DB Dump is provided for those that do not have any. Yes, these are available in many places but not in WHMCS DB format.

It was never meant to be "freely, publicly available", only available to WHMCS subscribers.

no offence to the OP or anyone involved, I was given access and wasn't blown away with the quality of topics posted, not enough to want to use any of them on my site.

I never promised that anyone would be "Blown Away", especially at the start of this, as there are a handful of de-branded articles for one to use or not. You are fully welcome to add to this and make it more towards something that will be great...

Why not use a WIKI to link against? And avoid using the WHMCS Knowledgebase...

Some know how to do this and others are attempting to use what is builtin. Maybe you should join a WIKI or start your own and leave this to those that find it has merit.

With the time you guys have wasted on this, you could have written a few hundred articles yourself.

Thanks for your comment but it is my time to waste and for any that might find value in it. I have my own KB and this is a debranded sub-set of that for one to many to expand upon if they choose to do so.. I fully agree that once a company is viable that they should and need to develop their own. This is only provided to those that might initially be overwhelmed in the beginning.

Or, back to original point of this thread and to keep KB in WHMCS friendly format, it should be available freely for us to use, edit, and contribute without any restrictions.

You are talking without attempting to be part of this or investigating deep enough to make a decision....As far as available - It is available to any that ask - - It is NOT publicly available being ONLY for WHMCS subscribers. But once you have admin access, you can add, edit any that you want.

Edited by Pima

Hello Pima,

You are right, I was talking without attempting to be part of this or investigating deep enough to make a decision. But nevertheless, thank you for your last post and for trying to be clear and to the point to all of us, who had second thoughts. I think I would give it a shot and try to look at it as it is, a "start." And every 'start' needs improvements - I would be glad to contribute.

Sincerely,

Serg

• 2 weeks later...

For any that had requested access and might have thought that this was abandoned...

Please try again.

There were some issues wth the WHMCS license and these have been corrected.

See post#1 for access requests

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Posting this to bring this back to the top as it was never made a sticky!

Surprise surprise, no one is really contributing and just mooching as expected.

No Surprise??

One of the MAJOR points was to allow others to "mooch" as you describe it, or as I prefer to think of it, a jump start for those trying to get started as you should know or remember, there is quite a bit to attend to - to be successful.

I have faith in the human element and believe that many will contribute in their own time and give back, making this "jump start" even more beneficial...