Community Supported Knowledge Base

Pima

What's the status of this project? Are people contributing?

Many have received access...

Those starting out and those with a limited KB will obviously have more interest than those that have spent a great deal of time on it. Some thought might need to go it how it will work... I mean a slick script that would let you manually select which articles you want to use and only insert those ones.

Correct, more wanting a start than contributing. No slick script, just the 2 tables that can be imported. Most require minimal editing as all branding/links are removed.

Not to rain on the parade but there is one negative to this concept... SEO... Search engines don't like to see the same content on multiple sites

I personally have my KB/WHMCS "no Link no follow"

Or did the originator bail?

Not at all - - Supporting a separate WHMCS install with only the KB added.

Edited by Pima

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thought might need to go it how it will work... I mean a slick script that would let you manually select which articles you want to use and only insert those ones.

No slick script, just the 2 tables that can be imported. Most require minimal editing as all branding/links are removed.

I would have no problem being able to hand pick which articles I want and only importing those. Others may not know how to do that. A simple but slick script could create the sql syntax to needed to only import the selected articles. Either works for me though.

Are you going to keep the location a secret or are you gonna fill us in to where and how it can be accessed. If you won't provide the location and password then why even tell us about it.
For access You MUST email me from a Business email addy at(remove spaces):

I believe that this was covered in a posting of mine #20

It is there, it is accessible, one must ask for access as it is not generally open to the www for reasons already stated...

I was given access to view, and there are about 64 articles.

It exists.

Anything further like distribution and so on, I have no idea.

This Forum Admin only requested to see/view and not to become a receiver nor a contributor.

A tar.gz of the KB tables is the current method of distribution.

Most interest todate has been from those wanting a start for their KB. Access is only allowed to those that have an active WHMCS install as this project is to aid directly those using WHMCS and not other similar apps.

While the current 60 or so basic but useful articles is a good start for any new user, it remains my goal to have the community add to this base versus this being solely a replication of our KB.

Requesting information is in the first post of this thread.

Edited by Pima

Come on guys, let's increase the size of the KB. I just got access to it and added one article, but I promised myself (a promise I hope to be able to keep) that I will add one new article every day. If 10 of us did that, we would have HUGE knowledge base (300 articles) in a month.

Sounds like a semantics game to me

You emailed me and return mail with the access response with the tar.gz attached was forwarded on April 21, 2009 12:15 PM CDST

I am guessing this forum time is GMT

Is it time to retract your negative attitude?

You want me to send you the custom knowledgebase articles i write?

Yes, this effort can use contributors...

I have not seen an email from you??

Please include a link to your WHMCS install for verification that access is granted to a WHMCS user.

Interesting,

But how in the world do I know what topics had been covered in those articles that are already there? I like to research and write, but do I have to write blindly without knowing if there are already similar topics written about, and maybe written better than mine?

If you could take little time, create a publicly accessible skeleton of topics/titles and short outline (in key phrases covered in each, already available article), then new users would have a chance to scan through and see if they have or can write an article on topics that haven't yet been covered, thus, contributing valuable articles that not just the same topics written about by different people in different ways.

Other thing is, can the more knowledgeable users that already have access edit already existing articles and update or elaborate certain information within those articles?

I think it would be much better, if it's not a commercial contribution, to simply create a social network like wiki, where any one can contribute, edit, and update information, then by now that KB would be much better and bigger. And in a little time it would grow to unimaginable size of information. Simple example of growth of wikipedia - if wikipedia would keep itself private then it would never become what it is right now, a 'huge' resource of information.

The other thing is, even for newcomers, there are tons of royalty free articles and KBs on the internet, and some can be bought for so chip. It is so easy to find free and royalty free articles, buy thousands of articles for very chip, modify and rewrite them, that personally I am not interested in sharing my articles to 'not publicly accessible' KB with only 60 articles, when with a little research I can have much more that offered here.

Not that I am in any way against to what is being created here, but KB articles is something so easy to populate and enrich to much more than possible with limited access KB, that not being released to public.

Tell me this, what's there in your KB that is not already and freely available on the internet?

Anyway, keep it up. And hopefully it would be available publicly and freely, then it would grow much faster and be much of value and very useful. (Or maybe I can allocate time and start publicly available-royalty free KB for this industry where anyone would be able to use, add, edit, update articles on publicly accessible and usable website without any restrictions, and see which one would grow faster.) After all, wikipedia regardless of any criticism, is greatest inspiration - people not just love to use things, they love to contribute too.

Sincerely,

Serg

P.S. Do not mean to discourage you from what you trying to create. Maybe I am wrong. But it was my personal opinion. And I would gladly contribute if it was publicly available.

Edited by HostBizLng

no offence to the OP or anyone involved, I was given access and wasn't blown away with the quality of topics posted, not enough to want to use any of them on my site.

Hostbizlng makes a good point a wiki format would be much more useful it would then allow people to expand/improve skeleton entries whilst tracking changes.

I would be happy to set up a mediawiki installation for this purpose?