Search Box instead of magnifying glass

OK, Ive been using WHMCS 8.0 for over a day now and the click to view  search in the top right corner is driving me mad. It needs to be visible always. The way it seems to autohide sometimes when im trying to use it causes a loss of productivity. 

(try selecting text in it from right to left - like your going to then paste over it) and the search box hides itself.. Arrrhh..

Surely im not the only one?

Absolutely. Why add extra effort to something that is so useful  

If it was of no real use then why would WHMCS go to the effort of making it do the search across clients, services and tickets. 

At the very least make it the input box for tablet and desktops where the space is not a premium. 

If you are happy to change a css file, you can do the following to make it easier to use ...

1. Goto "admin/templates/blend/css/theme.min.css"

2. Add "@media screen and (min-width: 600px) {.intellisearch { width:200px; } }"  the end of the file.

Edited by equiphase

• 2 months later...

It's always the same old story. Form over substance.

Too much style killing usability. Buttons that don't look like buttons anymore. Icons, mouse-hovers and modals in place of actual data. It looks like we play hide-and-seek. As technology evolves, I find myself clicking more often to get what I want. Not to mention misconceptions around minimalism UI design where designers remove data, statistics and features. This is not minimalism, it's called going backward.

The most irritating thing is that we're talking about backend. I want tables, filters and raw data. I don't care of jQuery effects and ajax posts. But who cares? I've stopped beating a dead horse. Embrace the future. In 2030 WHMCS admin interface will look like this.

whmcs-in-2030.thumb.jpg.dc00ee1f3a4e7f8be2ab6c3dc7ee59e1.jpg

19 hours ago, Kian said:

In 2030 WHMCS admin interface will look like this.

whmcs-in-2030.thumb.jpg.dc00ee1f3a4e7f8be2ab6c3dc7ee59e1.jpg

someone has had too much spare time on their hands over Christmas! 🙂🎄

my favourite part being the "something awesome is going to happen" - if ever a sentence summed up WHMCS internal philosophy, it's that... we're going to add an exciting new feature... needless to say that we definitely haven't yet thought through any/all (delete as applicable) of the logical consequences of introducing this, but we'll no doubt get around to that in the fullness of time... *

* unless we get distracted by thinking of another new feature, and then if that occurs, fixing (sorry I mean "increasing the stability of") the other new feature will have to wait.... and so the madness goes on. 🙄

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/03/2021 at 8:20 PM, chechorj said:

@equiphase, does this work as well for 8.1.3 ? Been trying everything to give the search box back with no results. If you can confirm it would be great. Thanks!

I am not sure if you are still looking for an answer but we run 8.1.3 and it works pretty well. However, we also run our own theme and use the following CSS snippet to keep that squirrelly search box in check.

@media screen and (min-width: 600px) {
    .intellisearch {
        width: 300px!important;
        position: relative!important;
        left: 0!important;
        top: 0!important;
    }
}

Now if only this could also fix a couple of other search issues:

• Losing focus when you select the search box content and you acidently drag to far such that the mouseup event triggers on another element. Note to developers: mouseup does not a click make!
  • The loss of serching via the URL. Oh how I miss thee.