Registrar that doesn't sell hosting?

I think you can turn off emails to customers with the LogicBoxes registrars (e.g resellerclub, resell.biz, netearthone etc) - other than the compulsory domain registrant emails...

i'm not aware of them ever contacting reseller's customers about their services (e.g hosting) - as long as the option is disabled in the resellers account.

Namecheap does that. Every domain renewal reminder has links to pay *there* (which they can't, since it's in our account), and links below the reminder to hosting, SSL and more. Since the setup there is not an actual "reseller", they claim they're not doing anything wrong, and "ICANN makes us do that", under the guise of that 60/45/30 etc notification of expiry. They spam with every one. 

Sorry for the delay in responding.

In response to Chris D, there was none in particular.

In brief, I'm not expecting to build an empire. just offer convenience to a couple dozen hosting clients.  I do have a fairly robust Cloud VPS from a top tier provider and have decided to use another providers 'reseller' program that offers WHMCS and.or enom/resellerclub plugin. This is just to mitigate the possibility of my server getting blacklisted 'cause some client gets hacked or turns out to be otherwise trouble.

Thanks for the feedback and see y'all soon.

-

L.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, bear said:

They offer hosting. 

Oh! It seems I've been away from their Dashboard for a while and didn't notice! Well, in that case despite they offer hosting, I haven't seem to notice any upsell or promotions emails sent out to the contacts of domains we register with them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, bear said:

Namecheap does that. Every domain renewal reminder has links to pay *there* (which they can't, since it's in our account), and links below the reminder to hosting, SSL and more.

Just wanted to follow up here, that Namecheap now includes *your* pricing to the end user. Every reminder email for domain expiry will show what you're paying for them, so if you mark up your domain costs at all, your customers will know as soon as 30 days from expiry what YOUR cost is.

Who does that? That seems immoral to try to contact your customers directly and send them offers. What is the point of being a Reseller if they are doing that? The whole idea is that they don't have to support and bill those customers saving them money as you are doing that.

As for a registrar that does not offer hosting, I think all of them do now since the profit margins for domains are tiny.

Edited by yggdrasil

8 hours ago, bear said:

Just wanted to follow up here, that Namecheap now includes *your* pricing to the end user. Every reminder email for domain expiry will show what you're paying for them, so if you mark up your domain costs at all, your customers will know as soon as 30 days from expiry what YOUR cost is.

But they do this with Resellers? That makes no sense. I was not aware NameCheap had a domain reseller service.

37 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

But they do this with Resellers? That makes no sense. I was not aware NameCheap had a domain reseller service

That's just it, they don't have "resellers", they just give us a discount for having loads of domains with them. It's a dodge they've used for a long while, back when they got started using Enom. They were, I believe, actually using an Enom reseller account to provision stuff. They'd say "we're using the Enom back end", but domains had Enom on them, a push was possible from Enom to them (to their user on Enom, then on to yours) and so on. A few years ago they set up their own system, sans resellers. Now they're apparently willing to ruin my business by ticking off my customers.
Be warned. 

There's a difference between "white label" and soliciting my customers, revealing my pricing and so on. Since the domains are in my account, the end user is unable to pay *them*. To me, the reminders have no need to include payment links, support, other products and my costs.

Just me, I guess. 
No matter, we've begun moving domains off there. Just wanted folks here to be aware.

1 hour ago, bear said:

There's a difference between "white label" and soliciting my customers, revealing my pricing and so on. Since the domains are in my account, the end user is unable to pay *them*. To me, the reminders have no need to include payment links, support, other products and my costs.

Just me, I guess. 
No matter, we've begun moving domains off there. Just wanted folks here to be aware.

Actually they might be correct about it's an ICANN requirement. If memory serves me right, the ICANN does require now registrar to email registrants about upcoming domain expiration. But putting pricing and links to their page is not a requirement for sure. It's probably a generic mail they send to all customers regardless of which account they are on.

How are you moving them? Paying the transfers from your own pocket? Or politely asking customers to pay an extra transfer fee? I'm curious how I would deal with something like this in the future in case I need to change registrars for one or another reason.

41 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

Actually they might be correct about it's an ICANN requirement. If memory serves me right, the ICANN does require now registrar to email registrants about upcoming domain expiration. But putting pricing and links to their page is not a requirement for sure. It's probably a generic mail they send to all customers regardless of which account they are on.

How are you moving them? Paying the transfers from your own pocket? Or politely asking customers to pay an extra transfer fee? I'm curious how I would deal with something like this in the future in case I need to change registrars for one or another reason.

ICANN specifies 2 notices preceding the expiration date: one at 30 days, the other at 7. Namecheap sends 4: 30, 15, 7 and 1.

At this point I'm moving the ones coming up by telling them the renewal fee will be used for the transfer, which also renews it. Others, the ones further out, will be informed they can renew at any time, and it will also mean that pays the transfer and a year renewal in the process. We've stopped autorenewals in order to intercept these and work on moving instead. If any don't want to move, we will let them know they're free to choose a new registrar and we'd help them move. 

I'll also point out that when I mentioned to Namecheap "support" that the emails to my customers were unwelcome, they suggested, numerous times, that I bulk edit all domains to have my own email in the registrant field. Essentially, they told me to hijack them all. Food for thought, that. 

• 6 months later...