MyWorks PayPal Billing Agreements Module not compatible with 7.8.2

After updating to 7.8.2  I found that searches for clients using PayPal billing agreement option for payment could not be searched for without returning a 404 page.

If you are using the MyWorks PayPal Billing Agreements Module try random searched on clients to see if you are experiencing the same issues.

I'm assuming that auto / recurring payments may not be processing as well, but not 100% clear on that yet.

The people at MyWorks Software are working on a fix.

Around mid-September they said they will release an update within the next 1-2 weeks. I contacted them again yesterday but still no reply.

What's worse than not having automatic payments, is that for some customers, visiting their client summary page results in a 500 error and the error_log shows: 

"PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare cancel_billing_agreement() in on line 0"

while for others, it shows a 404 error page.

Has anyone been able to contact the MyWorks Software people recently?

My tickets are not being replied to now, and I'm getting an increasing number of complaints about auto payments not processing.

What are you folks doing or have experienced since the MyWorks Software failure began?

Just looking for options to an increasingly alarming situation.

Thanks. 

I'm sure they're aware of it since when I contacted them on September 13th they mentioned they're "expecting to release a gateway update within the next 1-2 weeks if all testing goes well" 

However, no update yet & no replies to tickets either.

Again, the most important issue here is not the fact that automatic PayPal payments aren't processed, it's that the Client Summary page for several customers (for which a billing agreement is setup) throws a 500 error.
Fixing the functionality, OK, I understand it can take a few weeks to fix that (even though they had plenty of time to do it since WHMCS was providing betas), but such a critical issue as not being able to view your customers' summary should have been fixed as soon as possible. 

Imagine not being able to see this screen for a third of your customers, and what an inconvenience that is.

2059033153_Screenshot2019-10-02at13_32_45.thumb.png.7d141886e4e379bb4f5498430dd0e816.png

32 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

Fixing the functionality, OK, I understand it can take a few weeks to fix that (even though they had plenty of time to do it since WHMCS was providing betas),

which not a lot of users were testing - certainly fewer than in previous releases..... you have to also remember that developers don't get any advanced notice of these releases, so as soon as they become available to users, only then can developers test them.

33 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

but such a critical issue as not being able to view your customers' summary should have been fixed as soon as possible. 

whilst I have sympathy for your situation, did you check with MyWorks that their module was still compatible with v7.8.x before updating WHMCS ?

if they said it was, then you can rightfully complain about the situation; but if you didn't check with them first and blindly updated WHMCS, then things like this are bound to occur with major releases - especially those that have had 3 maintenance updates in a month.

that said, it doesn't defend them not replying to tickets.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

which not a lot of users were testing - certainly fewer than in previous releases..... you have to also remember that developers don't get any advanced notice of these releases, so as soon as they become available to users, only then can developers test them.

I don't get what the amount of users that tested beta releases has to do with making their addon compatible with a new release?

2 hours ago, brian! said:

whilst I have sympathy for your situation, did you check with MyWorks that their module was still compatible with v7.8.x before updating WHMCS ?

if they said it was, then you can rightfully complain about the situation; but if you didn't check with them first and blindly updated WHMCS, then things like this are bound to occur with major releases - especially those that have had 3 maintenance updates in a month.

that said, it doesn't defend them not replying to tickets.

This is what we did with all previous updates in the past. We first waited until all addon providers issued updates for their code and would then perform the WHMCS update. 
This time, however, we were forced to upgrade for SCA compatibility in Stripe. With 2/3s of payments going through Stripe and 1/3 via PayPal, common sense said we should upgrade.

Again, I'm not even complaining about the lack of functionality due to the update; we're dealing with this manually and contacting every affected customer one way or another. The thing here is that the addon is breaking something within WHMCS which causes great inconvenience to our everyday work. I believe a hotfix for that issue alone, should have been provided much earlier. I could then wait for a few weeks for a proper update.

10 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

I don't get what the amount of users that tested beta releases has to do with making their addon compatible with a new release?

well I don't know who was testing the betas, so I couldn't tell you whether MW were testing it themselves or not.

13 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

This is what we did with all previous updates in the past. We first waited until all addon providers issued updates for their code and would then perform the WHMCS update. 

that sounds good practice - I wish more users did that.

20 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

This time, however, we were forced to upgrade for SCA compatibility in Stripe. With 2/3s of payments going through Stripe and 1/3 via PayPal, common sense said we should upgrade.

though SCA compulsion has now been delayed in most EU countries...

https://support.stripe.com/questions/strong-customer-authentication-sca-enforcement-date

... though v7.8.2 had gone GA by then.

21 minutes ago, wintech2003 said:

Again, I'm not even complaining about the lack of functionality due to the update; we're dealing with this manually and contacting every affected customer one way or another. The thing here is that the addon is breaking something within WHMCS which causes great inconvenience to our everyday work. I believe a hotfix for that issue alone, should have been provided much earlier. I could then wait for a few weeks for a proper update.

I wouldn't disagree that MW should have done something by now.

All - just jumping in here with a single update. We don't provide support over an external system like this community, and we're not planning on adding any additional replies here as we don't consider this an official thread. All updates to our users will be / always are sent via email. 

That being said, all tickets are being responded to. Tickets where a request is made repeatedly for an update have been placed on hold until there is an update to share. Blindly asking for an update over and over again only serves to delay our support team and cost time that could have been dedicated to the rather extensive development and testing that's required for our gateway to support WHMCS 7.8.2. 

That being said, we're 100% sympathetic to all our users using this gateway - both those who have upgraded to WHMCS 7.8 and who have not yet. We use this gateway internally and have always planned to continue to keep it updated. WHMCS 7.8 contains HUGE changes due to Pay Methods - that are not a simple update in tokenized gateways like ours. 

We're on the tail end of testing/confirming that our basic gateway functionality works with the WHMCS Pay Methods after quite a bit of development changes. If testing goes well, we hope to have a beta version ready these week. We'll be emailing all our users once this is released.

Any further questions are welcome - via support ticket in your account with us.

Our biggest concern is the error page - surely we can work up a patch for that?

From one of the fellas above:
"...but such a critical issue as not being able to view your customers' summary should have been fixed as soon as possible."

Imagine the embarrassment, when a client calls me by phone to pay a bill and I can't' even view their account... or take payment.

Edited by TheHackRepairGuy

for those with the error accessing clients profiles the only fix is to remove their payment details from the new paymethods db table

ie open the tblpaymethods and filter by USERID and search for their userID then delete all lines in the table for that client.

This will then make their profile page load.  The customer will need to visit paypalbilling.php again to make a new agreement once a functional module is released.

2 weeks ago I spoke with another developer who make a similar module https://whmcsglobalservices.com/whmcs-paypal-tokenization-payment-module/  this has been updated to WHMCS 7.8 and they told me they made the myworks software version but are not working with them on this update.  To my excitment I purchased this module with a 10 day money back guarantee.  I uploaded it and while activating it I had multiple issues (possibly caused by clashing DB tables).  I renamed the ones created by the myworks module but it still through other errors and some invoices were no longer accessible in WHMCS. 

I cancelled and requested a refund under their 10 day money back however they dont honor refunds even though i cancelled within 24 hours.  I raised a paypal dispute which was instantly closed due to a virtual product or some rubbish like that!

Anyone who wants to purchase their version can do so, but be advised they do not refund and ignore tickets once you have cancelled and requested a refund.

All - jumping back in again here to note that we have sent all active users an email notification that v3.0 of our module is ready and available for download in your account with us. Again - this is not an official thread and will not be used/monitored by us for further troubleshooting, support, or information.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:11 PM, cyberhostpro said:

for those with the error accessing clients profiles the only fix is to remove their payment details from the new paymethods db table

ie open the tblpaymethods and filter by USERID and search for their userID then delete all lines in the table for that client.

This will then make their profile page load.  The customer will need to visit paypalbilling.php again to make a new agreement once a functional module is released.

2 weeks ago I spoke with another developer who make a similar module https://whmcsglobalservices.com/whmcs-paypal-tokenization-payment-module/  this has been updated to WHMCS 7.8 and they told me they made the myworks software version but are not working with them on this update.  To my excitment I purchased this module with a 10 day money back guarantee.  I uploaded it and while activating it I had multiple issues (possibly caused by clashing DB tables).  I renamed the ones created by the myworks module but it still through other errors and some invoices were no longer accessible in WHMCS. 

I cancelled and requested a refund under their 10 day money back however they dont honor refunds even though i cancelled within 24 hours.  I raised a paypal dispute which was instantly closed due to a virtual product or some rubbish like that!

Anyone who wants to purchase their version can do so, but be advised they do not refund and ignore tickets once you have cancelled and requested a refund.

@cyberhostpro These developers are not legitimate - and most certainly did not make our version, built by ourselves in-house. Instead they purchased our source code a while ago and have been selling it as their own. We wouldn't recommend their products to anyone, and multiple DMCA/copyright notices to their host have been ignored.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:11 PM, cyberhostpro said:

Did you have to run anything else after deleting the entries? I've taken a backup of the tblpaymethods table and tried your suggestion, but it didn't help.
I found certain specific client IDs that are throwing the "Oops! Something went wrong and we couldn't process your request." error,  found the respective entries (based on userid) on that table and deleted them. However, visiting the client profiles will still throw the same error.

In the admin folder's error_log I see this: [ICODE]PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare cancel_billing_agreement() in  on line 0[/ICODE]

11 minutes ago, TheHackRepairGuy said:

@wintech2003 They say they are not monitoring or replying to support questions here.

Can you please report back here once they reply to you?

I'd love to hear what they say as well.

I actually asked @cyberhostpro since he fixed this 🙂 I know they're not going to reply here. I've already asked them about this via ticket a few days ago but haven't heard back. I'll let you know if I do.

Thanks @cyberhostpro yeah I'm sure I did remove the correct IDs based on userid, not id. I thought maybe the cron needs to run or something like that. Anyway, I'll check it out again.

Edited by wintech2003

HI

I have again got this issue myself, the previous fix doesn't appear to fix it for all of my users.

this is what I did on the WHMCS DB

Update `whmcs_db_name`.`tblpaymethods` set `gateway_name` = 'paypalbilling',
`order_preference` = '0',
WHERE `payment_type` = 'RemoteCreditCard' AND `userid` = 1234;

replace 1234 with the userID from the WHMCS admin URL  ie:

WHMCS/ADMIN/clientssummary.php?userid=1234

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so since the update/fix, I've had many clients complain that their recurring credit card payments
that were recurring nicely for years before
are now not being auto paid (so they are getting late and past due balance notices).

Yes, I can manually run the card in client's account "after the complaint"
but I feel an avalanche building...

Your experience?