Hi there

After searching on this community and did not find a similar post, I made this one, perhaps could be also others doubt.

Buying open source modules worth it?

A module needs update on every WHMCS updates 7.7.x to 7.8 (for example), so a module should follow in accordance.

So scenario 1: If we buy a module open source, we pay one time,  and developers will provide all necessary updates free that will be need for this module work stable on every new future WHMCS update?

Considering that open source modules are expensive it is like developers will assume risks of being continuously provide updates, once you already had assume risks paying a great amount without knowing how tomorrow will be.

In what scenario will be a bad business buying an expensive open module sources? 

Modules compatibility regarding PHP upgraded version will be covered by developers providing updates? 

You are welcome to post your best advice, and help a lot in this community.

Developer are also welcome.

PS: we want to learn, so please no comments that can cause WHMCS Staff to close this threat. 👍

Edited by zitu4life

On 8/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, zitu4life said:

Buying open source modules worth it?

Before we start talking about open source, I think it is important to underline that nowadays most of the times open source is used just to get a cheap deal.

I started working on WHMCS 10 years ago. Before I started creating my own modules, I worked for hundreds of Providers mainly on modules created by others. With my extensive experience I had to request an open source version only once but I'm baffled that there are so many people that want the open source mainly for the following reasons:

• «We don't trust you» - Why are you buying if you are skeptical? 🤔
  • «For security reasons» - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you can spot a backdoor with your visual skill or find a vulnerability just randomly looking at 20.000+ lines of code
  • «What if you stop providing updates?» - What if I don't? What if the contract you signed states that I'll give you the open source as soon as I stop supporting the module?
  • «We want to add functionalities» - What do you need? Tell me. I'll include it for free in next release. «We prefer to code it by ourselves»
  • «Our corporate policy doesn't allow us to use encoded softwares» - Why are you using WHMCS? Anyway I'm sorry but our corporate policy doesn't allow us to provide software as open source

Based on my experience, most of the times the real reason why people want the open source is that they don't want to pay on a yearly basis. In the same time they still expect support & updates because «Hey, I paid you 5 times the annual fee of your module so I want you to help me for the rest of your life for free!». I want to stress that concept providing some real examples that happened to me:

• «I need feature Y, Z and W. Give me the open source so that I can add them». Few days later I give him Y, Z and W for free but he still wants the open source and refuses to buy
  • «I need the open source to get some data from your module» I include a Web Service (API) in my module that works exactly like the API of WHMCS but he still wants the open source and refuses to buy
  • «I want the open source because I don't like having encoded software». I say «That's fine, good bye» and he replyes «Could you give me a discount?» 🤨

Maybe other developers are luckier than me but that's my experience. In 10 years of using WHMCS I never had to get the open source of a single file of WHMCS. Hooks and API are more than enough to do everything. I don't get why modules should work differently. I'm not saying that open source is all based on false needs but we must admit that people want it just to save money. That's not the point of open source projects.

On 8/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, zitu4life said:

So scenario 1: If we buy a module open source, we pay one time,  and developers will provide all necessary updates free that will be need for this module work stable on every new future WHMCS update?

On paper the only reason why people buy open source is that they can edit the code (in reality is just to get a cheap deal but let's ignore it for a moment). Say that you buy the open source of a module that is currently on version 1.0. You download it and start to edit the code for weeks till version 1.1 is out. Now you'll need to spend hours or days to perform the upgrade since you're running a fork of 1.0. The process repeats for version 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 ecc. forever. Before you start thinking about relying on open source make sure you're prepared to invest time in this never ending task.

Personally I always prefer to get the encoded versions because I can upgrade the module without worrying too much. I can easily get support and report bugs since I'm not running a fork. I can also request features that hopefully will be added by the developer. On the other hand with open source it's all under my responsibility.

Edited by Kian

Many Thanks @Kian I was following  some of yours posts, and this were amazing! Certainly it will help me to take the decision.

It is great to has  a skilled developers coming to community to help too, not coming only for modules advertising, like some do...staying closely increase customer trust 😄.  I think your post help a lot and I guess other members too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By isixhosting
      Hi,
      does anyone use, or tried this modules?
      WHMCS Global Services - https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/1282
      or
      ModulesGarden  - https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/2698    or https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/4871
      Any reviews and experience with these providers?
      Thanks
    • By DeYoungDOer
      Hello,
      I am a reseller on 20i.com and purchased my WHMCS license from them. But I am faced with a problem which I believe to you help me or give a better advice to solve.
      I need a solution to enable clients to host multiple(specified number of) website with a single subscription via their whmcs clietarea. 20i reseller only allows for creation of multiple domain mappings per hosting package but does not by default allow for separate packages with a single subscription. I am using their whmcs module which handles all the integration with whmcs.
      For instance, I have packages that should host upto 5 domains(website) but by default this can only be achieved via domain mappings in the initial subscribed package's control panel (via 20i's stackcp.com) which is not professional or user-friendly to non-technical customers.
      They have API documentations that can solve this problem but I do not have the resources to do this at this moment and if I should hire a developer to do custom work for me will mean I will not be using WHMCS to management clients which I badly want to use due to WHMCS vast benefits and simplification.
      I would like to know if this possible on WHMCS by modifying some configurations or you can provide me with experts or module(s) from your marketplace to handle this task.
      Please note that 20i.com does not use Cpanel or WHM, they've their own custom cp called stackcp 
      I would very much appreciate your swift feedback.
      Thank You.
      Kind Regards.
    • By HardSoftCode
      What is Fleep?
      Fleep combines messaging with baked-in lightweight collaboration tools and video. Unlike competitors, it works across multiple teams and organizations. Fleep integrates with any email client making it arguably the most flexible communication solution for any business. Fleep can radically improve the way you work with colleagues and partners. It allows you to seamlessly connect with all of them in one place.
      Why do you need Fleep Notifications?
      The unofficial Fleep notifications module for WHMCS give you the ability to receive notifications in Fleep app with a setting rules that you can setup from the notifications section in WHMCS admin area. You may select multiple events within any given event category for example ticket, invoice, order, service, domain and API.
      This module only works for admin staff it doesn't work for your clients.
      How it works?
      After installing the Fleep notifications module for WHMCS you need to register at Fleep website https://fleep.io/register and create an Incoming Webhook by going to Conversation Settings > Integrations > Add Generic Webhook then setup the webhook until you get the webhook URL after that enter the webhook URL in the Fleep notifications module also you can add a sender username. From the notifications section you can create a new notification rule from there you can select a rule name and choose an event also you may select multiple events within any given event category for example ticket, invoice, order, service, domain and API. You can apply some conditions to the notification to restrict when the rule is executed.
      Features
      Setup rule based events and triggers Receive notifications by conversation Webhook integration View link in notification Add a sender username For more details and screenshot visit the product page
      https://www.hardsoftcode.com/products.php?p=product&a=fleep-notifications
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      What is Rocket Chat?
      Rocket.Chat is a free, unlimited and open source software to replace Slack with the ultimate team chat software solution. Rocket.Chat features LiveChat, LDAP Group Sync, two-factor authentication (2FA), E2E encryption and SSO. Rocket.Chat offers LiveChat where the users can add real-time chat widgets to any website or mobile app and get more value from the users’ team chat. Rocket.Chat’s LiveChat also lets the users create a user support helpdesk, answer customer queries and convert leads. Rocket.Chat also uses cutting edge machine learning for automatic real-time message translation between users. Rocket.Chat’s user interface has been translated to over 37 languages, more than any other team chat service. With Rocket.Chat’s web, desktop (Windows, MacOS, Linux (Deb, RPM)), mobile (iOS, Android) and LiveChat clients and SDKs, the users chat from anywhere. Rocket.Chat’s robust notification system will make sure the users never miss anything important when the users are offline. Rocket.Chat is also customizable so users can easily add custom features and change anything about Rocket.Chat to meet the user’s needs.
      Why do you need Rocket Chat Notifications?
      The unofficial Rocket Chat notifications module for WHMCS give you the ability to receive notifications in Rocket Chat app with a setting rules that you can setup from the notifications section in WHMCS admin area. You may select multiple events within any given event category for example ticket, invoice, order, service, domain and API.
      This module only works for admin staff it doesn't work for your clients.
      How it works?
      After installing the Rocket Chat notifications module for WHMCS you need to register at Rocket Chat website https://rocket.chat/pricing and create an Incoming Webhook by going to Administration > Integrations > New Integration > Incoming Webhook then setup the webhook until you get the webhook URL after that enter the webhook URL in the Rocket Chat notifications module also you can add a notification color with hex color codes. From the notifications section you can create a new notification rule from there you can select a rule name and choose an event also you may select multiple events within any given event category for example ticket, invoice, order, service, domain and API. You can apply some conditions to the notification to restrict when the rule is executed.
      Features
      Setup rule based events and triggers Receive notifications by channel Webhook integration Welcome message View link in notification Color for notification box For more details and screenshot visit the product page
      https://www.hardsoftcode.com/products.php?p=product&a=rocket-chat-notifications

• By wsa
      WHMCS Services would like to wish love to all our customers for Valentine's Day!!! We want to show our love by giving you the gift of 35% off all of our Source Code Version products and 20% off all licensed versions. Simply use 'valentinesc20' in the coupon code and receive 35% off and for the Licensed version, use 'valentine20' in the coupon code
      How Long Will this Sale Last?
      This Valentine Special will last until February 15th, 2020
      To take advantage of the sale simply add a WS Modules to your shopping cart.
      Here is a list of our various modules products: Click Here
      Save even more!
      Hurry! Sale Ends February 15th, 2020!
      Do You Need Custom Development For Your Business? Click Here
      Looking for help with WHMCS?
      We also provide WHMCS Themes, WHMCS installation, WHMCS configuration & WHMCS integration services.
      If you have any questions about our services, please chat with us at http://www.whmcsservices.com or contact us at sales (at) whmcsservices.com
      Thanks again for choosing WHMCS Services. We appreciate your business
      Our Social Media:
      Twitter Here
      Facebooks Here
      Instagram Here

• By WGS
      Get flat 30% OFF on all WHMCS modules, themes, and WGS WHMCS One Page Orderform. Use coupon code XMAS30 to avail the discount. 

Here is the list of the products to purchase with the offer running!

1. One Step Checkout WHMCS Orderform Template by WGS

Link to Buy: https://whmcsglobalservices.com/custom-template/one-step-checkout-whmcs-orderform-template/

2. ClientX WHMCS Client Area Theme by WGS

Link to Buy: https://whmcsglobalservices.com/clientarea-template/clientx/

3. OVH WHMCS Server Management Module by WGS

Link to Buy: https://whmcsglobalservices.com/ovh-soyoustart-whmcs-module/
      You can avail this product at 50% OFF as well, use coupon code: OVH50

4. Cloudflare WHMCS Module by WGS

Link to buy: https://whmcsglobalservices.com/whmcs-cloud-flare-module