How do display nested knowledgebase categories in breadcrumb?

cdeese8

Howdy WHMCS Community, using WHMCS 7.4.1 I was wondering how I could tweak / adjust the breadcrump for knowledgebase. It looks like when I use {debug} the top level or parent category isn't loaded on the article page.

kb home > cat 1 > subcat 2 > kb article OR kb home > cat 1 > subcat 2 > subcat 3 > kb article
(what i desire)

kb home > cat 2 > kb article
(what it currently is)

The breadcrumbs just remove and wipe out the parent cat. Might you know of a hook to possible to display full breadcrumb?

Edited by cdeese8
forgot tags

Just making a note (was gonna edit but it's locked) that I found a reply from 2010 - and will never link article to multiple cats, instead I'd just create / duplicate a  new article.

• https://whmcs.community/topic/105901-resolved-breadcrumb-knowledgebase-categories/?do=findComment&comment=554073

you might be able to do it with http_referrers in a hook, but I suspect no client is going to care that much about the breadcrumbs path... so whether it's worth the effort, i'm not sure.

... and just because Matt said it wasn't possible 9 years ago, doesn't necessarily mean that is still the case today...

19 hours ago, steven99 said:

You could do a ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase hook and  variable replacement on "breadcrumb" and breadcrumbnav with your full path.  You will just need to get the path by querying the database in the hook for the category down the line.

Times like this, I wish I had a nipple to feed me results. lol.

But yea, thanks for providing keywords to assist with R&D. I'll go ahead and search the forums using search query site:whmcs.community hook "breadcrumb" OR "ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase" and see what I can come up with. Thanks steven99 and brian!

When I talk developer talk I sometimes get a bit general and just toss out keywords and if your left confused just post what you need more info on as would probably help others.

ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase hook: https://developers.whmcs.com/hooks-reference/client-area-interface/#clientareapageknowledgebase

Database querying is done by a laravel capsule database object like so:

$Category = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->where('id',$CategoryID)->first();

//Get call:
$Category = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->get();

You will need to look at the database structure for knowledgebase.  I believe there are 3 tables for the KB for different purposes -- one for articles themselves, one for categories, and one for linking articles to categories.  Don't recall right off and bit lazy to check .  😉 Would be nice if there was a knowledgebase internal class to use instead of querying the database directly, but oh well.   (well, there could be undocumented ones but haven't looked)