SSL Monitoring does not work.

agarzon

6 hours ago, Jafar Muhammed said:

Otherwise, I will create a new feature request to have an option to remove SSL Check.

by the time it got to any reasonable level of votes where WHMCS would take any notice, v7.8 will be out - so probably easier to wait to see what they do in v7.8.... if it's still an issue after that, then it'll be another 6 months before v8 and plenty of time for you to drum up support.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

by the time it got to any reasonable level of votes where WHMCS would take any notice, v7.8 will be out - so probably easier to wait to see what they do in v7.8.... if it's still an issue after that, then it'll be another 6 months before v8 and plenty of time for you to drum up support.

Since this community post was published on January, almost 5 months ago what you said is most likely correct. It will take a year or more before they even fix this or put an option to make it optional.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, PhilM said:

I've upgraded to 7.7.1 and its still NOT working. 😡

Testing CURL works fine, so its not that, but this is rightly annoying...

I am now on 7.8.1 and its been working for a while now. Maybe all you need do is update and the problem will be soled? I have done nothing to try fix it myself, just done the updates. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, brian! said:

easier to wait to see what they do in v7.8.... if it's still an issue after that, then it'll be another 6 months before v8 and plenty of time for you to drum up support.

Nothing at all was done in v7.8. v8 seems iffy as well, so maybe v10? :think:

3 hours ago, 13i Global said:

I am now on 7.8.1 and its been working for a while now. Maybe all you need do is update and the problem will be soled? I have done nothing to try fix it myself, just done the updates. 

Nothing worked for me until I updated curl and libcurl on my server.   The stock version of curl that comes with Centos 7 is not compatible with the process that WHMCS uses to verify that SSL is enabled.  Once I updated those, then the checks actually worked as expected.  To help compare, I'm on Centos 7.6.1810 and I am running curl version 7.65.3 obtained from city-fan.org yum repo.  It has been a few months, but I believe I got the instructions from here: https://qiita.com/tkprof/items/5460b8d603cbbc542c8c

Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, efisher said:

Nothing worked for me until I updated curl and libcurl on my server.   The stock version of curl that comes with Centos 7 is not compatible with the process that WHMCS uses to verify that SSL is enabled.  Once I updated those, then the checks actually worked as expected.  To help compare, I'm on Centos 7.6.1810 and I am running curl version 7.65.3 obtained from city-fan.org yum repo.  It has been a few months, but I believe I got the instructions from here: https://qiita.com/tkprof/items/5460b8d603cbbc542c8c

Hope that helps.

That is a pretty bad. WHMCS not being compatible with one if not the most widely used server operating system in the world. Almost all major servers use some distro based out of Red Hat. They back port all security patches so there is nothing wrong with the default packages. I should not be forced to use another repository and put my server at risk just because WHMCS has issues with the default packages.

This feature should had been optional from day one. People need to hack the code to remove it, that should tell WHMCS how unwanted it is. Its not even working with most WHMCS installations. I'm surprised it passed the beta testing.

Edited by yggdrasil

8 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

That is a pretty bad. WHMCS not being compatible with one if not the most widely used server operating system in the world. Almost all major servers use some distro based out of Red Hat. They back port all security patches so there is nothing wrong with the default packages. I should not be forced to use another repository and put my server at risk just because WHMCS has issues with the default packages.

Very true, but also consider that Redhat is not great at releasing their base OS with newer versions of tools.  While they back-port security issues, their tools and libraries can be horribly out of date... even PHP is still at version 5.4 on the latest RH 7.x server.  Also, keep this in mind, with the latest version of Wordpress, you cannot install that on RH 7 unless you upgrade to a third party version of PHP to get to at least 5.6.

While Redhat may widely used, WHMCS shouldn't be limited to 5+ year old versions of every tool and library because Redhat says so.  However, WHMCS should provide proper documentation on how to upgrade the popular OS so that it works correctly because Redhat is not staying up with technology.  Personally I prefer Redhat/centos because of their super log lifespan of the OS, but I also acknowledge that there some things (like curl and PHP) that I will need to update on my own because Redhat won't.

Edited by efisher

58 minutes ago, efisher said:

Very true, but also consider that Redhat is not great at releasing their base OS with newer versions of tools.  While they back-port security issues, their tools and libraries can be horribly out of date... even PHP is still at version 5.4 on the latest RH 7.x server.  Also, keep this in mind, with the latest version of Wordpress, you cannot install that on RH 7 unless you upgrade to a third party version of PHP to get to at least 5.6.

While Redhat may widely used, WHMCS shouldn't be limited to 5+ year old versions of every tool and library because Redhat says so.  However, WHMCS should provide proper documentation on how to upgrade the popular OS so that it works correctly because Redhat is not staying up with technology.  Personally I prefer Redhat/centos because of their super log lifespan of the OS, but I also acknowledge that there some things (like curl and PHP) that I will need to update on my own because Redhat won't.

There is nothing wrong with something old that is stable and works. There are no security risks because Red Hat patches them. As for PHP 5, Red Hat has alternative packages. Installing PHP 7 or any other version is easy and you don't need to replace or use the base version. The reason they don't just upgrade packages on every new release is compatibility reasons. This is why Red Hat is the most widely used operating system in corporate environments and business servers. They usually support their softwares for 10 or 15 years.  I prefer this approach because you can always safely update servers and nothing breaks. Base RPM's that come from the official distro should always be preferred and should take preference unless there is absolutely no alternative. If someone wants the latest and greatest they could always go for Fedora Server instead. Personally, I prefer stability on production servers, hence CentOS is my choice. Its surprising to see PHP code that does not work with the default server functions and requires its own package. Its not normal.

Edited by yggdrasil

5 hours ago, efisher said:

Hope that helps.

As I said, mine started to work by itself by just doing the updates. What I would say is that WHMCS knows that there is an issue with this & is a feature that is not required. It would not be missed & should be removed. It would save them the headache of trying to fix it and save us trying to explain to clients why it says it does not have a SSL when it does. Or at the very least, give us the option to switch it off.