Product Addons - custom fields not being requested

Si

Version 7.2.1

Could someone else please check this out for me. I've submitted it to WHMCS as a possible bug.

Create a product add-on. Add a required custom field to that add-on.

Login as a customer, order the add-on and see if you are asked to provide the required custom field. I have tried six template with numerous carts and the checkout completes without requesting the custom field at any time.

I think it's a double-bug...

1. customfield not being passed to the template...

2. even if it was passed, i'm not seeing anywhere in the templates where it would be displayed for an addon...

file under product not thoroughly tested before release! :roll:

WHMCS have confirmed this as a bug and have asked their developers to look at it. Not sure yet if it's been fixed in WHMCS 7.2.2

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm this is not fixed in 7.2.2 :roll::(

Had this reply from WHMCS:

We have heard back from our development team concerning this matter, and I wanted to follow up with you regarding this.

The Product Addon Custom Field functionality was implemented solely with third-party developers in mind. The custom fields are designed to compliment the Service Property functionality and allow Product Addons to store data relevant to their parent Product/Service. You can read more about this at http://docs.whmcs.com/Service_Properties

At this time, Product Addon Custom Fields are not designed to be displayed in the shopping cart area, and are not considered during checkout. This is why required fields can be skipped without issue - they are not designed for information input by customers going through the checkout process.

I hope this information clears up why these fields do not display in the Client Area at this time. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

My question in reply is:

If those fields are set only for the admin to put information into by default, why are there the options as displayed in this image?

addons.png

Seems strange that it asks for admin only, if that's already the default?

Why would it be required or not required if it is never presented to be completed?

Why would it ask to show the field on the invoice if the field is never presented for completion during the order process?

- - - Updated - - -

Further, it also states on the form, after DESCRIPTION:

"the explanation to show users"

Getting worried now that the development team either don't know the product or I'm loosing the plot.

Getting worried now that the development team either don't know the product or I'm losing the plot.

it's a binary choice? it's one or the other ??? :-P

there are lots of things about v7.2 that are badly thought out, unfinished or have seemingly not been explained to the person writing the documentation.

I was never a big fan of product addons anyway, so this is a new feature I won't be using any time soon.

It just doesn't make any sense to have product add-ons (which I use extensively) i.e. to add domains to an existing hosting account, and I am not able to ask the customer the name of the domain they wish to add. And there are many other scenarios. Totally illogical to have it's functionality in the setup and not make it appear in the shopping cart.

We can configure to add text, textarea, dropdown boxes, tick boxes etc, and after all of that, none of it will be seen by the customer ? Come on WHMCS what is going on with your logic on any of this?

I was trying to use custom fields in product addons for installation service of SSL. I was trying to collect the required info to create the CSR. After a couple of weeks with an open ticket I got the same canned response as above.

-Allan

• 2 months later...
Had this reply from WHMCS:

We have heard back from our development team concerning this matter, and I wanted to follow up with you regarding this.

The Product Addon Custom Field functionality was implemented solely with third-party developers in mind. The custom fields are designed to compliment the Service Property functionality and allow Product Addons to store data relevant to their parent Product/Service. You can read more about this at http://docs.whmcs.com/Service_Properties

At this time, Product Addon Custom Fields are not designed to be displayed in the shopping cart area, and are not considered during checkout. This is why required fields can be skipped without issue - they are not designed for information input by customers going through the checkout process.

I hope this information clears up why these fields do not display in the Client Area at this time. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

My question in reply is:

If those fields are set only for the admin to put information into by default, why are there the options as displayed in this image?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14346[/ATTACH]

Seems strange that it asks for admin only, if that's already the default?

Why would it be required or not required if it is never presented to be completed?

Why would it ask to show the field on the invoice if the field is never presented for completion during the order process?

- - - Updated - - -

Further, it also states on the form, after DESCRIPTION:

"the explanation to show users"

Getting worried now that the development team either don't know the product or I'm loosing the plot.

I came here now researching this exact same issue. I'm like HUH!?!??! REALLY??? What the hell is the point of custom fields and asking you if they must be required or not and only visible to admins or not if this is not going to work at all from the front-end.

What a load of absolute NONSENSE!

• 2 years later...

As far as I'm aware it's still unresolved, and it seems that as far as WHMCS cares this is how they want it to be so I doubt they'll ever change it. I do wish they would alter the Addons Custom Fields page to make it obvious it's useless rather than everyone who attempts it googling and ending up on this thread

1 hour ago, steph.hope said:

As far as I'm aware it's still unresolved, and it seems that as far as WHMCS cares this is how they want it to be so I doubt they'll ever change it. I do wish they would alter the Addons Custom Fields page to make it obvious it's useless rather than everyone who attempts it googling and ending up on this thread

Thanks Steph, I just submitted a ticket, so will post their reply here

WHMCS says:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ridiculous, still the same in 8.1.1  - do they take any notice of their customers requests?
It seems as if the developers have only the most basic grasp of how their product could be used and no imagination or vision 

They will tell you to submit a feature request, refuse to approve the feature request for weeks or even months on end, restrict who can vote on said feature request and then when the next person that asks they will say its not implemented due to lack of votes/interest/demand - or more likely say nobody has ever mentioned it before

6 hours ago, MrGettingRatherFrustrated said:

They will tell you to submit a feature request, refuse to approve the feature request for weeks or even months on end, restrict who can vote on said feature request and then when the next person that asks they will say its not implemented due to lack of votes/interest/demand - or more likely say nobody has ever mentioned it before

Yes that true now I need to see what I can do now 

• 8 months later...

To add, setting the ordering of the fields when adding a new one is not honored, the field gets added with order number 0 and only after the field exists the ordering can be changed.

That this is still not being worked on is downright atrocious. What's the expectation here? A module dev will fix this? Seriously where the heck does the monthly license fee go to if not to some development. Worse still, I looked at the output of $addon and it does not contain any data on the custom fields, so where are they contained in then? What's the point of them exactly, you implemented the feature for the API users or what? Honestly if I shake my head any harder it'll come off.

Seriously trying not to swear here, but you put in something so someone presumably can store some data into these addons, that was worth the effort because someone complained hard enough or what, but properly implementing this and not just leaving as a massive tease was not worth the effort? WTF

• 2 weeks later...

Been 10 days, not even a reply, c'mon seriously. This addition isn't even that much code I don't think given most is already there, just needs pushing to the templates and handle the return checking. Here I'll chip in 50€ for this for crying out loud.