Password Generator to avoid using certain characters

ichilver

Hi

When a new service is created in WHMCS it automatically generates a password for the service.

Is it possible to tell WHMCS to not use certain characters?

For example capital I and lowercase l

Because when the password is emailed to the client and with the default font in outlook its impossible to tell the difference between an I and an l. Generating a high number of support tickets and password resets.

Any ideas

Ian

Hi Ian,

there was a similar request last week...

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?84267-Modify-Password-Generation-to-not-use-quot-1-quot-quot-l-quot-quot-0-quot-quot-O-quot

so to get this fixed internally in whmcs, you'll probably have to add a feature request and hope it gathers enough votes to get it considered...

in the meantime, i'm wondering if this could situation could be slightly eased by modifying the email template that sends the password to additionally spell out the password - so you'd see something like...

Password: 4gt1ilF%3 {four * g * t * number 1 * lower-case I * lower-case L * F * % * three}

so in effect, you would display the password twice - the first as normal; the second time you would replace each character with its word - although in the above example, i've only converted the awkward letters to words.

i've never played with the passwords in emails, and I won't get a chance to look at this today, but logically the above should work.