5.2.1 feedback

ljesh

I've run into many problems:

1. Live Chat - broken, WHMCS acknowledged - will push update only-god-knows-when-oh-lord-save-us

2. Widgets do not work, I have used them to pull the prices to my website.

3. Many addons do not work. When I say many, I mean many. I am not programmer myself so I don't know what (and why) they did, but it seems they have changed so many things making backward compatibility impossible.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Many addons do not work. When I say many, I mean many. I am not programmer myself so I don't know what (and why) they did, but it seems they have changed so many things making backward compatibility impossible.

You will need to contact the developer who madw this module :)

first beta r2 was different than stable version eg custom pages where change on stable - that cause lot of issue with mods as dev can't test it on beta

second not all bugs reported on beta where fixed , eg hard coded text on clientareadomaindetails.php line 77 hard coded ('Every'), when you are not using captch (as logged in) on clientarea (main page) and check domain avalability then on domainchecke.php Fatal error: Call to undefined function recaptcha_check_answer() in /includes/classes/class.validate.php on line 0

Why stable version was released? should you give first to beta tester "stable version" to test that everything was fixed

and now we will have new release every 6 weeks - can't imagine who will update

All of the addons I sell no longer work due to a change in the way hooks handle getting smarty variables. I've noticed that they replaced nearly every smarty php file under includes/smarty so they must have done something drastic..

a simple "global $smarty;" with a "$smarty->$get_template_vars('template'); no longer works. You need to supply a "$smarty = new Smarty;" after the global statement, and even then, it provides you a null value because the only smarty variable that it's able to pull back is "SCRIPT_NAME".

Also, If your addon includes $smarty-assign(BLAHBLAH); you can hang it up as it won't work.. a workaround is to do the following:

$smartyVariable = array();

$smartyVariable['SMARTYVARIABLENAME'] = "RESPONSE";

and then at the end of the function, return that $smartyVariable, variable.

return $smartyVariable;

Funny thing is.. these things worked fine in 5.2.0 as I have been beta testing them to ensure my customers had support... then they decide to throw in 500 security updates and dump 5.2.1 on the market.

Thanks,

Chris

@ HawtDogFlvrwtr

I concur - I had the beta and noticed they didn't include the two factor auth or some of the other features to test with, so I figured it was more an alpha than a beta and didn't bother with it (and their beta mailing list went dark with no explanation). I was understanding two factor was coming, so when the beta came out I was excited to see what they did, only to find they didn't give it to us.

Anyway, the smarty issue is a big deal, they now hide the smarty object for clientarea pages (but only CA pages, normal pages are still globally accessible) in the WHMCS_ClientArea object ($GLOBALS['ca']) but the object is stored in a private property. Template variables are also stored privately... you can assign using $ca->assign( x, y ) but can't retrieve (no get / set methods that I could find).

I am resorting to using the Reflection Class and setting the properties as accessible in order to get around this.

Would have been nice to have seen it in the beta...

One small update to my first post on this thread:

1. Live Chat seems to work now, they published an update.

2. Widgets do not work still, but you know why? Because they decided to rename /widgets/ to /feeds/. Just like that, no notification, no anything. So in order for them to work you have to change the dir from /whmcsdir/widgets/ to /whmcsdir/feeds/ all over your website, wherever you have used them.

3. Was very well explained by @HawtDogFlvrwtr. I don't know if there is way around this problem.

• WHMCS CEO
One small update to my first post on this thread:

1. Live Chat seems to work now, they published an update.

2. Widgets do not work still, but you know why? Because they decided to rename /widgets/ to /feeds/. Just like that, no notification, no anything. So in order for them to work you have to change the dir from /whmcsdir/widgets/ to /whmcsdir/feeds/ all over your website, wherever you have used them.

3. Was very well explained by @HawtDogFlvrwtr. I don't know if there is way around this problem.

The live chat addon requires a licensing update for compatability with V5.2. This is now available via the client area downloads.

Widgets were renamed to Data Feeds a few versions ago. That is not a WHMCS V5.2 change. This was done for clarity so that when we refer to widgets we are clear it's admin homepage widgets.

And finally re the Smarty issue, we hear you that it's causing a problem for addon modules & developers, and we're looking at possible solutions right now.

May wish to hold off patching that, the patch causes issues also...had to revert to keep running.

There are no known issues with the security patches at this time following yesterday's update: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=69478

Matt

@ Matt

Creating a public method to access template variables would be a big help I'm sure for 99% of the developers out there. I also must attach an outputfilter to the smarty object which is now privately inaccessible in the WHMCS_ClientArea object. I've gotten around it by Reflecting and performing some trickery but I'd rather be able to access that object directly (see below).

@ljesh

Here's a function (requires 5.3) that you could use to grab those variables until WHMCS gets something out there:

function getvar( $setting, $default = false )
{
	global $smarty;

// See if smarty is an object
	if (! is_object( $smarty ) || ! is_a( $smarty, 'Smarty' ) ) {
		$ca	= $GLOBALS['ca'];

$reflect	=	new ReflectionObject( $ca );
		$property	=	$reflect->getProperty( 'templatevars' );

$property->setAccessible( true );
		$tpl_vars	=	$property->getValue( $ca );
	}
	else {
		$tpl_vars	=	$smarty->_tpl_vars;
	}

return isset( $tpl_vars[$setting] ) ? $tpl_vars[$setting] : $default;
}

It won't work on PHP < 5.2 but most should be running 5.3 now. Hope that is of help... this is assuming of course that the clientarea object is always in 'ca'

There are no known issues with the security patches at this time following yesterday's update: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=69478

I beg to differ, Matt. I grabbed the downloads this morning, and patched a 5.0.3 as well as a 4.5.3 install (both now reverted to stay in business). The 4.5.3 showed closed for maintenance, and the 5.0.3 would not allow anything to be added to the cart. I'm awaiting a response in two separate tickets at present.

Has anyone actually managed to successfully upgrade?

I tried myself yesterday and had multiple issues resulting in a unusable WHMCS installation, had to restore from backup to get things running properly again.

Sounds like the update has pulled the rug out from under 3rd party developers feet also. I run JWHMCS and it looks like they have had to scramble to try and adapt their adons to work with 5.2.1. (your efforts are much appreciated btw).

I would mutch rather a thoroughly tested stable product rather than the latest bells and whistles, this is a billing platform after all, stability is key.

Depending on how widespread the upgrade problems are I would suggest pulling the 5.2.1 download untill its fixed (sounds like whmcs have a backlog of support tickets to deal with so would give them a chance to catch up on that too!).

Seriously not impressed.

Edited by somethingclever

For anyone getting "page down for maintenance" or whatever it is on custom pages, make sure you pay attention to "The dbconnect.php file has been removed as of WHMCS V5.2 and so any custom files will require updating to include "init.php" and only "init.php", the current separate "functions.php" include will be handled automatically "

at the very bottom of this page in small text :)

http://docs.whmcs.com/Version_5.2_Release_Notes

@ Matt

Creating a public method to access template variables would be a big help I'm sure for 99% of the developers out there. I also must attach an outputfilter to the smarty object which is now privately inaccessible in the WHMCS_ClientArea object. I've gotten around it by Reflecting and performing some trickery but I'd rather be able to access that object directly (see below).

@ljesh

Here's a function (requires 5.3) that you could use to grab those variables until WHMCS gets something out there:

function getvar( $setting, $default = false )
{
	global $smarty;

// See if smarty is an object
	if (! is_object( $smarty ) || ! is_a( $smarty, 'Smarty' ) ) {
		$ca	= $GLOBALS['ca'];

$reflect	=	new ReflectionObject( $ca );
		$property	=	$reflect->getProperty( 'templatevars' );

$property->setAccessible( true );
		$tpl_vars	=	$property->getValue( $ca );
	}
	else {
		$tpl_vars	=	$smarty->_tpl_vars;
	}

return isset( $tpl_vars[$setting] ) ? $tpl_vars[$setting] : $default;
}

It won't work on PHP < 5.2 but most should be running 5.3 now. Hope that is of help... this is assuming of course that the clientarea object is always in 'ca'

Nice hack. I was investigating a similair option until I checked the metrics on customer php versions and noticed that 85% of them are still using 5.1 and 5.2.

I beg to differ, Matt. I grabbed the downloads this morning, and patched a 5.0.3 as well as a 4.5.3 install (both now reverted to stay in business). The 4.5.3 showed closed for maintenance, and the 5.0.3 would not allow anything to be added to the cart. I'm awaiting a response in two separate tickets at present.

/concur (at least on 4.5) - except I didn't bother to open tickets. The forums are filled with people and problems and don't want to add to the noise.

Sorry Matt, but this release and security patches have been nothing short of a #$%-show, and after coming on the heels of the nightmare for many that 5.1 was.... It's not good...

I was, honestly, looking forward to the 5.2 upgrade, finally, hoping the lessons from 5.1 were learned and processes corrected, but with all these problems, and people saying reported bugs in beta are still in release....

I'm giving it a week and shopping around for alternatives at this point. I think I can safely say -- we just want something that works.

first beta r2 was different than stable version eg custom pages where change on stable - that cause lot of issue with mods as dev can't test it on beta

Same experience here. I tested everything during the beta without any problems. As soon as the stable was released many big changes were made. Not a good experience as it's not 4:40 AM and only now do I feel confident I can sleep a little easier without worrying.

However, as a customers perspective I have upgraded to 5.2.1 and while I did have to remove two 3rd party modules I haven't come across any bug/errors yet.

Jack

Edited by zomex

Anyone having issues with domainsync.php cron ?

Domain sync doesn't work after update.

I also receive the everyday cron activity unformatted not even <br />s or something. (except if it is intentionally like that).

And a module which syncs domains dates doesn't work anymore.

Except if I did something wrong here:

require( dirname( __FILE__ )."/../../../init.php" );

#require( dirname( __FILE__ )."/../../../dbconnect.php" );

#require( ROOTDIR."/includes/functions.php" );

require( ROOTDIR."/includes/registrarfunctions.php" );

I comment out dbconnect and functions and insert init.php. But still doesn't work.

So 3 issues for me right now after updating.

@Matt :

I downloaded 5.2.1 yesterday, it was 13,263,205 bytes long. Today it's still called 5.2.1, but it has only 12,858,112 bytes !

What happened ?

Which one is the correct one ?

Do you have a MD5 hash of the file to check against corruption ?

Quite nerveous since it's a critical security release, and sources are not available to compare the versions and understand what happened/disappeared in the zip file.

Thanks for soon reply.