Community bug: Code broken

twhiting9275

Not sure what happened, or when, but trying to upload common code, or paste it into a code block is, literally, blocked. Request is met with a 403

This was working fine just a year or so ago, but same code , not able to be pasted today. 

No hacking attempts here, simply trying to provide help and examples. Kind of hard to do when you can't even use basic community functionality

Affected code attached as zip, but that's not really the proper approach.

unpaid_invoices.zip

12 hours ago, twhiting9275 said:

Not sure what happened, or when, but trying to upload common code, or paste it into a code block is, literally, blocked. Request is met with a 403

This was working fine just a year or so ago, but same code , not able to be pasted today. 

No hacking attempts here, simply trying to provide help and examples. Kind of hard to do when you can't even use basic community functionality

Affected code attached as zip, but that's not really the proper approach.

unpaid_invoices.zip 1.09 kB · 2 downloads

Same problem, I start posting screenshots instead code blocks

5 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

It's ModSecurity, There's nothing you can do about it. Except upload the code to a third party service such as Pastebin.

This is a poor response.  I mean, really

there is plenty that can be done about it.  The whole point of modsec is that rules can be enabled or disabled, even edited so that one doesn’t have to use those outside resources 

3 hours ago, twhiting9275 said:

This is a poor response.  I mean, really

there is plenty that can be done about it.  The whole point of modsec is that rules can be enabled or disabled, even edited so that one doesn’t have to use those outside resources

I'm know, but that was not my point. There's nothing you or anyone of us can do about it though. It's been a problem for more than a year and WHMCS staff are well aware of it at this point.

It's even worse. Just look at this post of mine. I had to take a screenshot of my entire post.

The server no longer allows to post:

• Basically any code
  • Write words that happen to be PHP global variables
  • Paths and URLs used when making examples

What's the point of having this f*o*r*u*m if people can't post? Too many times I spent like 10 minutes to offer my help just to be faced with 403. It tilts me so much that I no longer post. Oh and btw I can't even write f*o*r*u*m since it gets replaced by "community".

I guess integrating NordVPN is the number one priority.

Edited by Kian

8 hours ago, Kian said:

What's the point of having this f*o*r*u*m if people can't post? Too many times I spent like 10 minutes to offer my help just to be faced with 403. 

I don't disagree, and I have a feeling that's why people like Brian , as well as myself stopped coming around to help. 

I still do, every once in a while, but things like this make it impossible to actually provide community help here.

My only point in this thread was to bring it up so that it could be hashed out. If it's not, that's on staff. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:46 AM, WHMCS John said:

Hi all,

Thanks for letting us know. I've raised the matter with the sysadmin team to see if the relevant security rules can be tweaked.

In the meantime, please do use a service like pastebin or attach a .txt file with the code instead.

On an unrelated (??) note....

Same thing happened when I tried to paste php code into a ticket yesterday. Same, exact, thing.

so, both forums and tickets have been essentially made worthless at this point 😞

I get the need for security, believe me, but, there's a point when it's just too much, and it makes the services unusable. No, I won't be using pastebin, or txt files. I simply won't be addressing those threads or helping there. Doesn't affect me at all.

When you make life harder on those trying to help, especially in a community, you find that fewer people are willing to help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...