Domain Renewal

pjs32

Hi,

How do you prevent clients from renewing their domains at the prices set in the domain pricing table?  

ie. The client bought the domain for $10.00 last year - their renewal price when they bought it was $10.00  but we have since decreased the renewal price for *new* domains to $8.00 - we do not want existing clients to be able to renew the domains they bought for $8.00 

so the client should see the original price of their renewal cost -NOT the new cost for renewal via their client area.

Any way round this? 

15 hours ago, pjs32 said:

How do you prevent clients from renewing their domains at the prices set in the domain pricing table?  

by disabling "Enable Renewal Orders" in general settings -> domains - that prevents them renewing on-demand and let's WHMCS automated invoicing take care of their renewals (at their current recurring price).

15 hours ago, pjs32 said:

Any way round this? 

other than disabling, the only other realistic option would be a hook that queries the database to get the client's current recurring price for each domain and allows them a 1 year renewal at that price (if within range), and/or create some formula for calculating multi-year recurring costs (which could be x by 1 year recur costs, or a descending percentage to discount additional years).

ultimately, it's not really a bug (by their definition), just VERY badly designed - users have complained about it for years since the feature was introduced... ideally, it should be using recurring costs, but I can understand why WHMCS took the shortcut of just using the 1-10 years prices as they're already easily accessible in the database and it saves creating additional options to determine how these renewals should be priced.

let me take a look at this tomorrow... it's fixable, but to do it justice, i'm not sure how much work is involved...

31 minutes ago, brian! said:

by disabling "Enable Renewal Orders" in general settings -> domains - that prevents them renewing on-demand and let's WHMCS automated invoicing take care of their renewals (at their current recurring price).

other than disabling, the only other realistic option would be a hook that queries the database to get the client's current recurring price for each domain and allows them a 1 year renewal at that price (if within range), and/or create some formula for calculating multi-year recurring costs (which could be x by 1 year recur costs, or a descending percentage to discount additional years).

ultimately, it's not really a bug (by their definition), just VERY badly designed - users have complained about it for years since the feature was introduced... ideally, it should be using recurring costs, but I can understand why WHMCS took the shortcut of just using the 1-10 years prices as they're already easily accessible in the database and it saves creating additional options to determine how these renewals should be priced.

let me take a look at this tomorrow... it's fixable, but to do it justice, i'm not sure how much work is involved...

Thanks Brian - really appreciate it.

21 hours ago, pjs32 said:

Did you have a chance to look at this ?

to be honest, I didn't get the chance on Sunday as I ended up having more commercial work to complete than I expected...

but your issue is linked with the other recent thread below and I plan to tackle both together as they'll slightly overlap... although the other thread should be simpler to solve (I haven't searched but pretty sure i've posted how to do it in the template previously), it will be a nice warm up for yours.

I will take a look at it this week for sure - I suspect on Thursday.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:31 PM, brian! said:

to be honest, I didn't get the chance on Sunday as I ended up having more commercial work to complete than I expected...

but your issue is linked with the other recent thread below and I plan to tackle both together as they'll slightly overlap... although the other thread should be simpler to solve (I haven't searched but pretty sure i've posted how to do it in the template previously), it will be a nice warm up for yours.

I will take a look at it this week for sure - I suspect on Thursday.

No luck with this Brian?

Hi @pjs32

On 16/10/2019 at 11:28, pjs32 said:

No luck with this Brian?

apologies for the delay in replying - got numerous paid projects on the go and plenty of domestic distractions!

as suspected, the first half was straightforward (always showing all available renewal periods); but the second half (your issue) is proving trickier to resolve.. even if you modify the array using a hook, it seemingly isn't pulling pricing values from that array when you add a renewal to the cart, it's pulling it from domain pricing... so visibly, you can override the pricing, but not the price when you add it to the cart... of course, the override hooks don't work with renewals, so they're not an option.

I can see one way to do it, but it's a solution that might not necessarily work for everyone... a rough beta is currently being tested for me... I expect the first half to be released as a hook soon (just needs a little polishing); whereas, I think the second half may need to be more than a hook, or I need to think of the most appropriate way for it to work.

• 2 years later...