I want my email for all customer domains

Jbro

14 hours ago, Jbro said:

OK I want that a certain email address is defined as registrant email for all domains registered in whmcs and it is greyed out so customers can not change it themselves. What is the trick?

probably to consult a lawyer to see if that's even legal. 😲

if I understand you correctly, what you intend to do would a) prevent the registrar contacting your client directly and b) prevent the client from transferring their domain away from you because they'd be unable to receive any confirmatory emails sent by a registrar.

not every registrar is like Namecheap you know. 😉

1 hour ago, brian! said:

probably to consult a lawyer to see if that's even legal. 😲

if I understand you correctly, what you intend to do would a) prevent the registrar contacting your client directly and b) prevent the client from transferring their domain away from you because they'd be unable to receive any confirmatory emails sent by a registrar.

not every registrar is like Namecheap you know. 😉

LOL no I do not need a lawyer the reason is stupidity of namecheap  explained here

It is definitely against their rules, since the registrant (which is the legal owner) gets to decide what address to use, and they mandated that the information be up to date and accurate as well. You having your own info in there defeats that because it's not the owner's info. 

What if...

I register all domains using a generic email like for example domains@mycompany.com. This way I receive all emails from Namecheap. With a cron that runs every 5 minutes I download received emails and re-send them to the real owner (we know who's the owner of every domain from WHMCS). The only exception is for the "spam" that Namecheap sends. As soon as the script detects the spam it kills the email or removes the spam before sending the email.

Is it against the rules?

Can't say I agree it would be allowed. Privacy masks public whois, but not the underlying data, which represents the actual owner, and it's to that address these go. Though I fully agree with the sentiment, it's not ok to do, no matter how you attempt it. You can ASK the domain owner if it's ok to have your info in it (tell them it's spam prevention?), but they have to agree. Preferably in writing. 

If you just do it, regardless of intent, and it gets back to the registrar and they complain to ICANN...well....
Then again, Namecheap suggested I do exactly that. I can't imagine that's the best way forward. Moving would be, IMHO.

Edited by bear

IIRC ICANN only requires the real data to be stored and available upon their request as well as the email address to be working.  So the example above would maintain that holding of info as it would be required for the forwarding.   However, it has been a while since I looked at those rules and so could require other items. 

Hmmm...
https://whois.icann.org/en/accuracy

How does one determine whether the data displayed in a WHOIS Record is accurate? There may be contact information that appears correct – i.e. that represents a valid and viable name and address (electronic and/or physical) – but is not necessarily accurate, i.e. it does not correspond to the person registering, managing or owning the domain name.

This all refers to the 2013 change that had everyone needing to verify contacts on changes. In that:

You must provide accurate information for publication in directories such as WHOIS, and promptly update this to reflect any changes.

I suppose accuracy could possibly be having it set to the working email of the one managing the domain (see first quote), but this has always meant (at least to me as explained from major registrars) the owner is the registrant and the info has to be theirs in case of dispute and so on. The one managing the name, in the case of us providers, would be listed under tech or admin contacts...
Dodgy to make it your own, if not disallowed. Interesting, but most RFCs and documentation read like stereo instructions. 😉