multisite addon

snake

Perhaps @WHMCS ChrisD can clarify, but I am pretty sure that goes against the licensing per https://www.whmcs.com/members/index.php/knowledgebase/14/Can-I-use-my-WHMCS-license-on-more-than-one-domain.html .  This has come up before and don't recall seeing an answer.   Also license verifications on the other domains would fail unless you get them added to the license. 

Modulesgarden has a similar module. 

Naaaah, I have a very similar module that allows to use multiple domains for the same installation of WHMCS. Some of my customers are using it - including me on my own website - and it's perfectly fine. I have personally asked for confirmations 3 times that span from 10 years ago to few months ago. It's fine and doesn't cause any problem with licenses.

Edited by Kian

12 minutes ago, Kian said:

I have personally asked for confirmations 3 times that span from 10 years ago to few months ago. It's fine and doesn't cause any problem with licenses. 

I know it is possible, wasn't saying otherwise.  My point of the license verification failing still stands though and you can test it out yourself: https://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php as that would compare against their license records and unless the address is there it will fail.  Might not be much to say regular customers but I know of at least one web hosting community that requires the license to be valid for the domain if you are doing ads there. 

Edited by steven99

I am aware of the ModulesGarden addon, but I won't touch anything that comes from modules Garden. I have tried several of their modules in the past and they were all very flaky, unreliable, buggy etc. Their support/customer service also was pretty awful, I had to chase them continually for replies to emails for weeks.

3 minutes ago, snake said:

How would the addon get access to the DNS records?

There's no need to access DNS. Just create as many domains as you want and make them point with an A record to the IP where your WHMCS is installed. All the rest is based on scripts.

2 minutes ago, steven99 said:

Well, if it is allowed by the license then they should update their license page saying as such as well as removing the domain checking bits or allowing to add any domain to the license.    

There's really no need especially now that the price of your license is based on how many active clients are registered on your system. Having 5x WHMCS with 1000 users each or just a big one with 5000 users would be the same. Instead of using 5 different systems you can have just one that uses multiple domains, templates and so it's kind of a win-win situation.

I was talking in general but more or less they all work in a similar way. They all require A records to point to the IP where your WHMCS is hosted. Of course each module will deal with the rest in different ways I mean...

• IF domain is berlusconi.com use sexy_girl template, set italian/eur as default
  • IF domain is trump.com use more_sexy_girl template, set english/usd as default

... and so on.

Edited by Kian

@Kian you make even more of a point for not having domains tied to the license. 

My main point is that in this setup, the license can be revoked at any time.   Even if they have a policy of not enforcing section 2.3.2 of the EULA , the fact remains the license can be revoked with cause as it is in the license.  Rub a staff member the wrong way on the wrong day and they want to "get back at you"?  License revoked with cause.  Or say they implement auto checking of domains that are looked up in the verification page fail or found on google searches and are able to determine the license, then it could be revoked.    After that point, you will need to spend time to get the license back.

I am merely warning of the potential of licenses to be revoked in this setup even if it is allowed by them not enforcing the license clauses. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, steven99 said:

@Kian you make even more of a point for not having domains tied to the license. 

My main point is that in this setup, the license can be revoked at any time.   Even if they have a policy of not enforcing section 2.3.2 of the EULA , the fact remains the license can be revoked with cause as it is in the license.  Rub a staff member the wrong way on the wrong day and they want to "get back at you"?  License revoked with cause.  Or say they implement auto checking of domains that are looked up in the verification page fail or found on google searches and are able to determine the license, then it could be revoked.    After that point, you will need to spend time to get the license back.

I am merely warning of the potential of licenses to be revoked in this setup even if it is allowed by them not enforcing the license clauses. 

I have questioned this module myself. I wondered if it was allowed given the license constraints. I've seen all to many times someone has a WHMCS setup, and it fails with the domain checker. If WHMCS allows the multi-brand, they need to let that domain show valid as well on the license verification.

Frankly who cares? 😀

I mean just look at me. I use katamaze.com and katamaze.it on the same WHMCS. The first domain is perfectly fine if you check it on License Verification meanwhile the latter results as "Not authorized". What's the problem? Let's say that someone reports me. WHMCS contacts me and they see that I'm the guy with the Owned-XXXXXXXXXXXXX license so that's perfectly fine. I'm doing it for 10 years for the simple reason that my .com domain is indexed on search engines in English and .it is indexed in Italian this way Google loves me.

Let me give you another example. We have a WHMCS (a funny one) on which a customer asked us to implement italian football teams so that employees and customers can use their favorite one by simply using:

• juventus.-------------.com
  • milan.-------------.com
  • inter.-------------.com
  • roma.-------------.com

They're all the same WHMCS. The only difference is that depending on domain name you'll get the template of your team and a sidebar that shows next match and last match result. On that system there are X clients registered and my customer pays the monthly fee to WHMCS as you would expect. I don't see any problem.

Edited by Kian

I asked WHMCS support directly for clarification as to whether this is allowed as per their T&C's, here is the response I got.

In response to your question, you need one license per installation. One license is valid on one domain only. However, the client area section of WHMCS can be viewed from multiple different domains if those domains are parked on the main account. All will use the same database though, look the same, and all emails sent will link to the system url which will be the main domain WHMCS is installed on.

It is possible to change the template that your system uses very simply via the URL. You can do this for both the main system template and the order form allowing you to display different brands depending on where the user comes from and different order forms depending on which products are being ordered.

Some examples of how to use this feature please review > http://docs.whmcs.com/Linking_to_WHMCS

Regards,

--
Stephen
Technical Analyst I
WHMCS, Ltd.
www.whmcs.com