Running WHMCS on Windows Server? Whats it been like for you?

theFlash

Hi All,

I'm considering using WHCMS but would need to run it on Windows 2008 R2.

I see a few instructions on how to set this up on winodws dotted around the web (I realise the folks at WHCMS have decided not to officially support its deployment on this platform) but how is it to use/setup on windows in your experience? Worth attempting?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

From experience working with clients who WHMCS on a Windows server I wouldn't recommend it. Also overtime it will become more and more of a problem to run WHMCS on a Windows server.

You're better off just using Linux hosting even if it is just to host your WHMCS.

Out of interest is there a specific reason why you want to use Windows?

Hi Zoomex - thanks for replying.

I'm asking about windows partly because I have a cloud one at my disposal that I currently use for my website and testing purposes. Also my experience level on Windows is a lot higher than Unix, but this is less of an issue than cost. I run a software/app development service (Windows and IOS), and have a small number of customers, but I have re-occuring contracts/invoices and seem to spend a lot of my time doing/chasing the invoices by hand.

As I pay a not inciderable monthly amount for the server, it seems logical to try to use it, but there are few decent systems out there that are written for .Net/Windows.

Can you recommend a Linux host suitable for just WHCMS (I'm in the UK too)?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry *Zomex*

As Zomex stated, don't do it!! Just don't!!!

Windows PHP and Linux PHP are inherrently different.

I've seen isolated cases where it works, but I've also seen isolated cases where, honestly, the entire thing is a mess. You've really got to know what you're doing when dealing with Windows and php

For hosting recommendations, you might want to take a look through WHT. Do some searches, come up with your own opinions of things, but that's going to be your best bet there. Just make sure to do some research there, and avoid ANY host that is related to EIG. Just save yourself that hassle right now :)

• 1 month later...

V7 does work on Windows (with a couple of tweaks) as we are running it on Server 2012 R2. I had to open a couple of support tickets with WHMCS with issues but despite them not officially supporting Windows they helped get it all working. Everything seems to run fine now.

If you want to run on Windows I suggest contacting them with any issues as I found them very helpful.

One thing I will point out for users running on Windows is you need to ensure that you have your CA bundles updated for your Windows machine, Unlike in a Linux distro, where cURL SSL CA bundles are updated directly from Mozilla, you will need to download and update your CA bundles for your Windows box. One of the team found a great tutorial on how to resolve this issue and get it working which has been noted by other clients reporting this issue to have resolved it for them:

https://snippets.webaware.com.au/howto/stop-turning-off-curlopt_ssl_verifypeer-and-fix-your-php-config/

you mean the spotlight TLDs section? I don't think that's a Windows issue, I believe the feature is just buggy - it was in v7+ and still is in the first v7.1 beta.

you can certainly break it by not adding a price for a TLD...

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?120718-Domain-Search-Problem-V7-0-1

and in v7.1, there are more ways to break it too... when I get the chance, I might send a bug report to WHMCS about it...

Parneta,

There is a known issue with IIS on windows, it does not honor @header("Content-Type: application/json") when php is run via the ISAPI. Instead lists this as text/html. This breaks the jquery library we are using for ajax calls. This is not going to be fixed because the ISAPI for php is EOL. You can migrate to running php as a CGI process and it should restore working functionality.

Hope that helps,

Nate

We run WHMCS on IIs and we have really had minor issues, there was an issue with json, which we highlighted to matt and the issue is resolved in version 7, the domain checker is an issue, most of the order forms are based on the standard cart, which also uses the captcha if you try ay of these order forms they donet work, it even accepts a invalid captcha code, however if you use the modern order form it works 100% but there is no captcha on the form.. Thsi issue is not an IIS issue.

We run WHMCS on IIs and we have really had minor issues, there was an issue with json, which we highlighted to matt and the issue is resolved in version 7, the domain checker is an issue, most of the order forms are based on the standard cart, which also uses the captcha if you try ay of these order forms they donet work, it even accepts a invalid captcha code, however if you use the modern order form it works 100% but there is no captcha on the form.. Thsi issue is not an IIS issue.

Thanks for your information. I'm agree with you, the issue is not an IIS issue! Many PHP applications runs on Windows servers without issues like Wordpress, phpMyAdmin, etc.

I believe that the issue is in my php.ini settings. Can you send me your php.ini to compare it? I will apreciate it!

Hi,

The "Content-Type: application/json" issue happens on CGI/FastCGI as well as on ISAPI. WHMCS support resolved this for us by using the IIS outbound URL rewrite rules.

Artem from WHMCS was fantastic in resolving this. He referenced information on outbound rules at https://www.iis.net/learn/extensions/url-rewrite-module/creating-outbound-rules-for-url-rewrite-module .

He then suggested using the following outbound rule which fully resolved our issues with the domain checker:-

<outboundRules>

<rule name="whmcsjson" preCondition="PHPRequest">

<match serverVariable="RESPONSE_CONTENT_TYPE" pattern="^text/html; charset=utf-8,(.+)"/>

<action type="Rewrite" value="{R:1}"/>

</rule>

<preConditions>

<preCondition name="PHPRequest">

<add input="{REQUEST_URI}" pattern=".*\.php"/>

</preCondition>

</preConditions>

</outboundRules>

This should solve your problem.

Thanks

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In WHMCS 7.1.0, the spotlight TLDs is not working fine. Please see the image for more details.

This issue happens when you select a hosting product and register a domain name, but when you register a domain name only (without hosting product) the spotlight TLD works fine.

How I can fix it?

Capture.PNG