Nominet Module Update TLS v1.1

We haven't quite get around to upgrading to WHMCS 6.x yet so we are currently still running 5.3.x.

After reading this WHMCS blog entry posted 20th August regarding the Nominet module:

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=117270

This module will only be available for WHMCS 6.x but surprisingly, our WHMCS 5.x module works with Nominet EPP without any problems, so I was wondering if anyone knew why this was?

Are we the last people running WHMCS 5.x? Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

The reason I ask is, we plan to upgrade to WHMCS 6 to resolve this problem (which currently isn;t a problem for us) so I was wondering if we introduce the problem by upgrading?

Thank you in advance for any assistance/advice you can offer!

• WHMCS Technical Analyst

This is interesting. Nominet announced last week that they were strengthening the TLS requirements for EPP connections to their service to require TLS 1.1 or higher. That should mean that any existing installations attempting to connect to the Nominet API would fail to connect without an update to the module.

If you could open a ticket referencing this post, our team would be very interested to take a closer look at this.

I will also add that Version 5 has reached end of life at this time and so you should strongly consider upgrading when you can. More information on our end of life policy can be found at http://docs.whmcs.com/EOL

-Eddy

Dear Eddy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am running WHMCS 5.3.14 and expected the EPP to stop working, but it's fine.

I called Nominet today and they said they don't know why it is working as it's should have stopped. I wondered if there was a "change over" period where both TSL 1 and 1.1 would work together. They denied this was the case.

I'm running WHMCS 5.3x, PHP 5.4 and Centos 6.

I asked this question here because I was worried that if I upgrade to WHMCS 6, I need to then upgrade my PHP to 5.6 and i'm not sure if I can test all of this in time should the upgrade break my current live setup.

Thanks.

it is interesting - i've just renewed a .co.uk through the old Nominet module on v5.3.14 and it worked without a hitch... like pjs32, I thought it would fail.

My nominet module on 5.3.14 never stopped working.

I suspect it will stop working after the upgrade to WHMCS 6.

Why would a code update be required for this? It would be controlled by the hosting server wouldnt it?

I'm not sure why the update is required either.

The hosting server support TLSv1.1, i'm not sure why the Nominet module comes into it.

Did anyone report their module actually stopped working? Or is this a problem that simply didn't happen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

We received one report of this being a problem look at our development tracker for this issue, and even in our communications with Nominet their technical teams seemed unsure as to why more users weren't experiencing a connection error.

As a socket-based connection is used to connect to the Nominet module, a code update to the module is required in order to create a context stream with TLSv1.1 However it's always nice to be future-proof :)