Validation error, unique transaction id required

blakeh

Not sure when this started, but we're on 6.2 and we frequently have clients pay multiple invoices by the same check.

When we apply the payment to the invoice, we put the check number in the payment field.

6.2 is now complaining that it's not a unique transaction ID.

It would seem to be a bug if the uniqueness of a transaction ID is dependent on user input. This should be handled behind the scenes by the software.

I've also run into this when a client hands us cash and I try to put 'cash' as the ID.

Why oh why?

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?107126-Unique-Transaction-ID&p=440027#post440027

I am going to close this thread and leave it here as a clear message that we do not consider it a bug.

also, read the thread below for a longer explanation of their reasoning.

http://forums.whmcs.com/showthread.php?106994-Unique-Payment-ID&p=440026#post440026

Hello,

First off thanks to brian! for posting the relevant links. We do not consider this a bug in the product, it was a intentional change we intend to keep. In your post you asked about two scenarios: a check for multiple invoices at once & handling cash. In the first case there are a few possible ways to handle it:

* You can create a mass pay invoice and use the check number to pay that. This indicates most accurately what is happening.

* You can add transactions with an ID using a format of check_number-invoice_id or 1,2,3 for the different invoices.

When thinking about how to handle cash transactions, you can make similar moves. Entering cash-invoiceID or other discussed schemes.

I recognize that the change does require some changes to some users work flows, that is not something we take lightly. However it is a change that brought more data integrity and allows for more advanced reporting, both are things we think are important going forward.

Have a great day,

Nate C