Forum Addon - Fully Interegrated

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try and get things done as quick as possible. I'm just fiddling with the design, it would be nice for some comments on what's posted at the bottom of the previous page.

The design looked fine :) I wouldn't worry about the design, as most will skin it to look like their site, anyway. As long as it works and is functional, that's the most important part.

I *do* understand the "fiddling with the design" portion. :)

Take your Time FORUMADDON don't let it consume you. We've been without integrated forums this long. We can hold on for another few days. If you feel the code is pretty solid maybe put out a time limited beta or RC for test and collection of fresh ideas.

I think those interested would agree. Having integrated forums with WHMCS is a major sidebar for WHMCS. It's an exciting evolution.

The system fully uses templates, although a little more experience is needed when making changes as uses loops and arrays.

When it's released there will always be someone to contact with questions and I will place a template wiki up so it's easier to understand things.

I will get it checked over by a member of those forums or by a WHMCS developer.

I don't see why I cannot protect my product, not encrypting any of it (such as the validation of the product) is not a viable option as it will allow many people to not pay for it. If anyone has a good alternative i'd be more than happy to implement it.

Thoughts?

Its not that you can't protect it. Its called you are a BRAND NEW member, and with an encrypted file that gives you program access to our database, whats to stop you from using that file to transmit ALL our customer and server information to you? We do not know you, and with ONE file you could take over and hack every single persons whmcs.

Thats the problem.

The only solution I see, is giving your work to Matt (if he agrees) and let him put it in the Contributions area of the downloads. He would also have to be the one to encrypt it.

That also mean you couldn't sell it. But that's your choice and the choice of every member here.

Edited by VicToMeyeZR

Giving it away for free is not an option. By all means, if you wish to spend a number of weeks producing a script and want to give it away or allow people to just install it and remove the checking features, then that's absolutely fine by me and I wish you good luck. I see no gain in working this hard for a complex script to just use it to steal data and eventually get caught.

I do understand that I am a new member and must go through the process of becoming trusted, and that's absolutely fair! Is it possible that I could get a member here to encrypt the one file? I would like to hear your suggestions.

Just protect your code licensing it and sell it with source code.

As a developer this is a joke.

NO ONE takes notice of EULA's and dosn't copy the files.

A simple search for XXX nulled will show you that.

There are thousands of forums on the net with all this kinda stuff on it.

As developers we can't hand our lively hood out.

Imho the developer should be able to encrypt it and then you have the choice buy it or don't simple as that.

(rant)

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?p=104413#post104413

Moved as not to hijack ;)

(/rant)

Edited by Shaun
Moved rant as not to hijack

Its not that you can't protect it. Its called you are a BRAND NEW member, and with an encrypted file that gives you program access to our database, whats to stop you from using that file to transmit ALL our customer and server information to you? We do not know you, and with ONE file you could take over and hack every single persons whmcs.

Thats the problem.

The only solution I see, is giving your work to Matt (if he agrees) and let him put it in the Contributions area of the downloads. He would also have to be the one to encrypt it.

That also mean you couldn't sell it. But that's your choice and the choice of every member here.

Do you really think that Matt has the time to do things like this!!

You seem to be trying to demand things here from the OP.

If he wants to protect his work then he has the right to encrypt his hard work, just like you have the right not to use encrypted code.

If that's the way you feel then don't use it!! Simple.

I do understand that I am a new member and must go through the process of becoming trusted, and that's absolutely fair! Is it possible that I could get a member here to encrypt the one file? I would like to hear your suggestions.
Maybe some here still may think of me as "not trusted" yet but I am sure a lot do.

If you need any files encrypted I'll do it for you for free. No Problem.

Is it possible that I could get a member here to encrypt the one file? I would like to hear your suggestions.

Matt might be the best to approach about certifying your code. Perhaps Matt should consider offering a paid certification program for encrypted addons, where he verifies the code does not pose a threat to WHMCS users, and then publishes a checksum for people to compare against?

Then with each new release, the developer can pay a nominal fee to have the code rechecked, and Matt can diff the two versions, check out the changes, certify and publish the new checksum.

If that doesn't turn out to be an option, I'm glad to help out in any way I can. I'm really interested in this mod and am willing to pay well for it.

Do you really think that Matt has the time to do things like this!!

You seem to be trying to demand things here from the OP.

If he wants to protect his work then he has the right to encrypt his hard work, just like you have the right not to use encrypted code.

If that's the way you feel then don't use it!! Simple.

Maybe some here still may think of me as "not trusted" yet but I am sure a lot do.

If you need any files encrypted I'll do it for you for free. No Problem.

The OP asked for thoughts, so I gave it sparky.

If you notice my LAST LINE, what did I say? I said its his choice, and the choice of the members here. So yup your right, I do have the choice, just like members do. Thats EXACTLY what I said.

Thats the problem.

Who do you think you are fella trying to speak on behalf of "every member here"? When I need you to speak on my behalf I'll pull the chain!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. ;)

Who do you think you are fella trying to speak on behalf of "every member here"? When I need you to speak on my behalf I'll pull the chain!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. ;)

I am paranoid because my admin area has been accessed TWICE by a worhtless low life $@%^$ hacker, so yes I am paranoid, and no I didn't "speak" for anyone. Just because someone wants to be cautious, and the guy could seem to understand why a lot of people didn't like encrypted files from a brand new member, so I was trying to explain it to him.

Sorry y'all can't understand.