DNS Hosting Only - How to set it up

thisismatt

Hey all

I have a few clients who don't host either websites or email with me, just using my domain registration services and have me manage their DNS for them. Historically though, they have had one, or both, of their site/email with me, so I need to do some housekeeping!

I found this post giving one example of how to manage these clients within WHMCS effectively, which would deal with onboarding a new 'DNS only' client and tidy up those existing clients.

The post though is nearly 6 years old; has anyone else got any other ways to handle this scenario - which is creating a WHMCS account for a client who doesn't need web or email hosting, but their DNS records need to be managed.

Thanks
Matt

There would be many ways to do that and it depends on what you want to work with.  Use only cpanel items?  Then use a regular cpanel account with no features as mentioned in that post.   Or use a DNS only server and use that for this purpose.   Though for just DNS only services, I would use something like PowerDNS and a server module that handles that nameserver software. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/8/2021 at 4:26 AM, thisismatt said:

Hey all

I have a few clients who don't host either websites or email with me, just using my domain registration services and have me manage their DNS for them. Historically though, they have had one, or both, of their site/email with me, so I need to do some housekeeping!

I found this post giving one example of how to manage these clients within WHMCS effectively, which would deal with onboarding a new 'DNS only' client and tidy up those existing clients.

The post though is nearly 6 years old; has anyone else got any other ways to handle this scenario - which is creating a WHMCS account for a client who doesn't need web or email hosting, but their DNS records need to be managed.

Thanks
Matt

Sorry to reply to this old post. I am not finding much either on this topic. How did you end up setting this up? Did you use a DNS module like modules garden or just a hosting account with no features on cPanel or DirectAdmin, etc ?