Hide Configurable Option based on selection

Oliver F

Hi,

I was woundering if its possible to set some kind of logic in the configurable options. For example I sell minecraft servers. I have two configurable options, one for the Minecraft gamemode (spigot, vanilla etc) and one for the version (1.16.4, 1.17 etc). Can I make so if the user for example select Bungecoord as a gamemode, the configurable option for the version hides?

I believe the only option is injecting javascript that waits for field changes and decides what to do next.   There might a module out there that does this already but bit swamped to search. 😉   Using an output hook or template variable override hook would give you the chance to inject that javascript. 

No, sadly there is no form logic at all in WHMCS. You will need to create a custom order form for anything moderately complex. The configurable options in WHMCS are mostly not usable for this reason, not only with your Minecraft setup but almost every server or software config requires some logic to change or show different options depending on selection which is not possible out of the box right now. I think I asked this years back.

Just now, yggdrasil said:

No, sadly there is no form logic at all in WHMCS. You will need to create a custom order form for anything moderately complex. The configurable options in WHMCS are mostly not usable for this reason, not only with your Minecraft setup but almost every server or software config requires some logic to change or show different options depending on selection which is not possible out of the box right now. I think I asked this years back.

Ok, yeah I have seen multiple of request that are "under construction" but they were posted 6 years go. Seems like WHMCS dev team really don't care about thoose request's, sadly... Even Hostbill has that feature...

2 minutes ago, Oliver F said:

Ok, yeah I have seen multiple of request that are "under construction" but they were posted 6 years go. Seems like WHMCS dev team really don't care about thoose request's, sadly... Even Hostbill has that feature...

Yes, they do, I had that product before I sold it. They had logic build into order forms. I don't seriously know any product which does not in 2021. You cannot build even something basic without logic forms today. This is more true when it comes to selling software and configurations which absolutely need to change depending on the users' selection. A simple example, someone selects as Operating System Windows means cPanel is no go. Not possible to even sell VPS or servers on which users can select a different operating system because you cannot change the options based on a first selection.

3 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

No, sadly there is no form logic at all in WHMCS.

the fact that in 2021 this is still true, should be embarrassing to WHMCS - if you went back to 2015 and 6.1 - other than a few CSS changes and the inclusion of MarketConnect products, I doubt in reality it has changed much at all. headshake.gif

You will need to create a custom order form for anything moderately complex.

not necessarily.

I think I asked this years back.

it's been requested for many years - there's probably a 7-year feature request somewhere still under consideration. 🙄

19 hours ago, Oliver F said:

I was woundering if its possible to set some kind of logic in the configurable options. For example I sell minecraft servers. I have two configurable options, one for the Minecraft gamemode (spigot, vanilla etc) and one for the version (1.16.4, 1.17 etc). Can I make so if the user for example select Bungecoord as a gamemode, the configurable option for the version hides?

what type of config options are they - radio, checkbox etc ?

9 minutes ago, brian! said:

the fact that in 2021 this is still true, should be embarrassing to WHMCS - if you went back to 2015 and 6.1 - other than a few CSS changes and the inclusion of MarketConnect products, I doubt in reality it has changed much at all. headshake.gif

not necessarily.

it's been requested for many years - there's probably a 7-year feature request somewhere still under consideration. 🙄

I actually contacted WHMCS and asked why this feature has been under construction so long. Tthe answer I got back was that "the roadmap was long and that their priority is functions that many people are requesting". However, I think (as you said) they should be embarrassed. Conditional logic in order forms are something that you  need in 2021 to be able to offer products with different options. Since there are more than 5 of thoose request and all of them are "under construction" and has been for atleast 5 years. I think they really don't care about the communities opinion. Putting a request "under construction" and let it have the same status for over 5 years is not good PR. It may sound harsh, but all other companies I have active services on are companies that actually publish their roadmap and changelog and actually care about the customers opinion. It's one factor that I look on when choosing a product/service,  and they don't let a feature be under construction for over 5 years. If Hostbill had monthly plans, I can guarantee that I would quit using WHMCS. Sure WHMCS has decent support and are easy to use, but as many other programs, games etc some of the updates are totally unnecessary compared to updates that really are requested, as conditional logic in the order form.

The configoptions are dropdowns... 

Don't think I've seen the logic order forms on other billing systems out of box features and if so the lack isn't unique to WHMCS.   Though I haven't looked to hard but did just look at another and did not mention that as a feature. 

Though if majority of those request are at 5 or 7 years, it just might be around the corner or not. 

On 23/02/2021 at 21:19, steven99 said:

I believe the only option is injecting javascript that waits for field changes and decides what to do next.

yep - technically not difficult but an absolute pain to describe how to do it.

On 23/02/2021 at 21:19, steven99 said:

There might a module out there that does this already but bit swamped to search.

I don't think such a beast exists - it's one of those features that would be simpler for WHMCS to write (assuming it was done competently) because of the potential complexity of having to provide a visible method for linking configs/addons/customtfields etc.

23 hours ago, Oliver F said:

The configoptions are dropdowns... 

something along the lines of... ?

jhICX5Z.gif

image.thumb.png.ec69f64fe7b85b853554efa9197307c4.png

22 hours ago, steven99 said:

Don't think I've seen the logic order forms on other billing systems out of box features and if so the lack isn't unique to WHMCS.   Though I haven't looked to hard but did just look at another and did not mention that as a feature. 

Though if majority of those request are at 5 or 7 years, it just might be around the corner or not. 

Let's take Hostbill for example, the strongest competitor to WHMCS. If we look in the Client Acquisition tab we can see that they display conditionals as an feature. So the lack is very unique to WHMCS.

You can read it in the third point in the screenshot I attached 🙂 

I really don't think the feature is around the corner.  But if it is, I would be more than glad

2 hours ago, brian! said:

yep - technically not difficult but an absolute pain to describe how to do it.

I don't think such a beast exists - it's one of those features that would be simpler for WHMCS to write (assuming it was done competently) because of the potential complexity of having to provide a visible method for linking configs/addons/customtfields etc.

something along the lines of... ?

jhICX5Z.gif

Exacly, that is exacly the conditional I looking for 🙂

2 hours ago, Oliver F said:

Let's take Hostbill for example, the strongest competitor to WHMCS. If we look in the Client Acquisition tab we can see that they display conditionals as an feature. So the lack is very unique to WHMCS.

Good to know but again the lack isn't unique or very unique to WHMCS as there are plenty of other billing systems, Blesta and Clientexec for example, out there that don't have that.  Saying it is very unique is like saying Tesla is very unique because it might be the best electric car but electric cars isn't unique to Tesla.   However, Hostbill might be unique in having that feature if no one else knows of another system that does it out of box. 

I can see an addon module with hooks injecting javascript handling this for the most part at the basic levels of "if this field is this, then show this field" and loading all fields and hiding them.  At that point though, I think you're better off with a custom order page.  Custom templates / order forms and such may also cause issues with that javascript for at least the design / appearance as it would be easy to hide just the field but not the parent or parent parent as you would not know.  Have done something similar for domain registrations for a client needing to hide / show custom fields depending on selection of a popup. 

On 2/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, brian! said:

not necessarily.

Most people that requested this probably don't even use WHMCS anymore.

13 hours ago, steven99 said:

Good to know but again the lack isn't unique or very unique to WHMCS as there are plenty of other billing systems, Blesta and Clientexec for example, out there that don't have that.  Saying it is very unique is like saying Tesla is very unique because it might be the best electric car but electric cars isn't unique to Tesla.   However, Hostbill might be unique in having that feature if no one else knows of another system that does it out of box. 

I can see an addon module with hooks injecting javascript handling this for the most part at the basic levels of "if this field is this, then show this field" and loading all fields and hiding them.  At that point though, I think you're better off with a custom order page.  Custom templates / order forms and such may also cause issues with that javascript for at least the design / appearance as it would be easy to hide just the field but not the parent or parent parent as you would not know.  Have done something similar for domain registrations for a client needing to hide / show custom fields depending on selection of a popup. 

Because you are comparing it to only products in the similar target as WHMCS. If you look into more cloud billing systems, all of them have them. If you look into shopping carts or ordering systems in general which are not necessarily targeting WHMCS customers but can also be used to sell services besides tangible products, again, most have them.

In the past this would have been considered something fancy or innovative, but not in 2021.

• 2 years later...