Ticket Import Failed on owner tickets

J-B

Hello, 

WHMCS member login is down 🤬

Critical Error
Could not connect to the database.

Today I installed the patch CORE-16265 and I was hoping that the ticket import function will now work again. The Patch CORE-16265 had fixed the error that guest tickets were not imported into WHMCS. After I installed the patch, now owner tickets were not imported into WHMCS.

image.thumb.png.ea2c38a892eadb44d24a9702c5d0ed01.png

I hope this bug will be fixed as soon as possible.

• WHMCS John changed the title to Ticket Import Failed on owner tickets
  • Retired WHMCS Staff

Hi J-B,

Sorry that you've been unable to open a ticket - there has been some extreme weather across Texas today that has affected access to some of our services.  Things seem to be stabilising from here now so you should be able to log back in again shortly.

Regarding your report, I reverted to a v8.1.1 installation here to reproduce the original bug in CORE-16265, I then applied the hotfix to confirm that this resolved the issue.  Moving forward, I created a ticket from an 'Authorized User' and also from an 'Owner' user which both imported correctly - follow-up responses to both tickets also imported correctly, so as it stands I'm unable to reproduce this locally.

If you have any specific reproduction steps please do let me know in case I've missed something, otherwise I'd recommend opening a ticket with our team so that we can take a closer look at this for you.

-Jay

• Retired WHMCS Staff

Thanks for coming back to me.  I've gone back and tested this - opened a new ticket from admin and then replied as the 'owner' and again, the ticket imported successfully.  Are you seeing this with multiple clients or just one?  There may be some additional debug we can perform on this via a support ticket, to try and ascertain the exact reason for the import fail here.

-Jay

At the moment I have not received any emails from other customers. The email from the same customer was not imported again.
How can I debug the import function myself?

I have already opened a ticket, but I have not received an answer yet. 

Ticket ID YLE-649264

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @J-B,

This Status will occur if the sender's email address does not match a User or Contact on the account to which the ticket belongs.

Please ensure there is a User or Contact associated with the Client Account in question which matches the "From" address exactly as shown in the Ticket Mail Import Log.

Hi @WHMCS John

and this is not a Bug? Why is the email not imported nevertheless? Or open a new Ticket, but sorry not to lose this email.

The Problem is, Google Mail is using googlemail.com and gmail.com.

In the older whmcs versions that was no problem and the emails were imported.

Edited by J-B

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @J-B,

The introduction of the Users and Accounts system in v8 implements additional verification that ticket replies originate from an authorised person. Meaning that when a ticket belongs to a Client Account,  it must be updated by a User or Contact associated with that Client Account. It is no longer sufficient just to know a Ticket ID to email a reply.

If there are multiple permutations of the user's email address, they can be added as a Contact on the Client Account with the Support email notification option.

This is just nonsense! There must be a notification that the email did not arrive for the customer. The customer thinks he has replied to the email. And I don't get that the email was not imported, unless I check the logs every day.

This is business damaging! Please offer an option to deactivate this "feature"!

@WHMCS John

I am also seeing this now "Ticket Import Failed"   I am on version 8.1.2

It was for a client that replied to a ticket using gmail, that had been sent to their company email (I guess they are using the same inbox for both)

Is this supposed to be how the system works ?  If so - I need to receive a notification that the email was not imported so that I can be aware of it and manually import it....  can't we add a dashboard notice if ticket import has failed?

On 2/17/2021 at 2:46 AM, WHMCS John said:

Hi @J-B,

The introduction of the Users and Accounts system in v8 implements additional verification that ticket replies originate from an authorised person. Meaning that when a ticket belongs to a Client Account,  it must be updated by a User or Contact associated with that Client Account. It is no longer sufficient just to know a Ticket ID to email a reply.

If there are multiple permutations of the user's email address, they can be added as a Contact on the Client Account with the Support email notification option.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi there,

The hotfix for CORE-16265 is included in v8.1.2.

This ensures that guest email replies to guest tickets are imported and assigned to the ticket, providing that the reply is made via the same email address that originally opened the ticket.

Emails from an email address unknown to the ticket (ie. not the requestor, client account, user, contact or in the CC Recipients list) will still not be imported.

An entry is made in the Ticket Mail Import Log, the sender does not receive a notification of this.

To allow replies from another email address to be added to a ticket, please add it as either a Contact, User on the account. Or to the CC Recipients list just an individual ticket.

We are investigating a few different options in this situation. At present we're leaning towards implementing a new behaviour to import email replies from unknown senders as a new support ticket.

This should still give the necessary indications that the message came from an unknown email address.

Operators/Admins can then evaluate and  merge the tickets together if appropriate, create a Contact or add the sender to the ticket's CC Recipients list.

This will be a new feature and therefore implemented in a future feature release.

24 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

This will be a new feature and therefore implemented in a future feature release.

Wow, it is not a bug it is a feature! You are becoming more and more dubious! It was all great, why do you change something that worked well ?!

I predict that nobody will update to 8.1, they will wait until the "new features" will be released.

51 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Emails from an email address unknown to the ticket (ie. not the requestor, client account, user, contact or in the CC Recipients list) will still not be imported.

Forgive my impertinence, but this is really dumb. In the real world, clients do all sorts of things that don't match expectations. Replying from a non-matching email is really common, as is not including a ticket number, sending to a totally different email address other than the support one and more. This "user and accounts" system/method is causing all sorts of fun for admins.

Does anyone there at WHMCS use the software on a daily basis as a hosting provider, that they might be involved in these decisions?
This, and a number of other changes of late has the appearance they don't. 

Unfortunately, I can only agree with the previous speakers.  It is normal for a customer to use a different e-mail address to answer an e-mail. Just select the wrong sender address in the email app on the tablet/smartphone and it happens. Without any intention.
But to completely block such e-mails is absolutely unrealistic and cannot be serious on the part of WHMCS. Why not include an option that we users can decide for ourselves what happens in such a case or that at least a new ticket is opened by such an e-mail?

Because how does it currently look? The customer accidentally replies to the email with the wrong email address, our system blocks the email and neither we nor the customer receive any information about it. The customer who replied to the e-mail is now waiting for our reaction. But we can't react because we don't know anything about the e-mail. In the "best" case, we get a negative feedback on google which can damage our business, in the worst case, we have concluded an SLA with the customer which we cannot keep due to the senseless restriction of WHMCS and we are threatened with a contractual penalty. And that's where I come to my question: @WHMCS John  please send me the relevant department at WHMCS so that you can take over these contractual penalties. If you change the functionality without consultation with us customers and do not even give us the opportunity to set this somewhere, then you also have to bear the consequences.

In my eyes, it is time that WHMCS is more responsive to its users and implements functions that we need and agrees changes with us. WE are the ones who pay your salary.

Edited by bady

This bug is a killer for us. We discovered this when a ticket was opened and the client cc'ed a distro group on their team, and none of the team's replies were automatically imported. Several time-sensitive emails were missed, thankfully we were able to get things wrapped up successfully but finding out that this was expected behavior and not a bug was extremely disheartening. The notion is being floated to import those replies as separate tickets and that's almost as bad. If there's a ticket number in the reply, the reply should attach to the ticket, end of story. Now I have to watch for failed imports, waste time (and database lines) merging tickets. Just put it back the way it was!

On 3/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, jmartin_mds said:

This bug is a killer for us. We discovered this when a ticket was opened and the client cc'ed a distro group on their team, and none of the team's replies were automatically imported. Several time-sensitive emails were missed, thankfully we were able to get things wrapped up successfully but finding out that this was expected behavior and not a bug was extremely disheartening. The notion is being floated to import those replies as separate tickets and that's almost as bad. If there's a ticket number in the reply, the reply should attach to the ticket, end of story. Now I have to watch for failed imports, waste time (and database lines) merging tickets. Just put it back the way it was!

But I thought cc'd emails were supposed to work @WHMCS John

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi all,

Understanding the pain-points of our users is invaluable in continuing to drive the development of our product to meet their needs, so thank you for sharing this information.

Implementing a multi-user system was our top-requested user feature, and so we are pleased to deliver this based on user feedback. This feature represented a significant overhaul to how authorisation and authentication is handled throughout the product, and the support system naturally was part of this, allowing us to improve privacy surrounding support tickets too.

We are always receptive to feedback from our customers, so we were pleased to deliver further refinements to the user system in v8.1. I have passed on your use-cases here and the product team already have some ideas on how to improve the visibility in logs when this situation arises and incorporate importing emails from unknown senders into tickets associated with an account into the support system. Whilst I don't have a committent on when such a feature may be implemented, potentially it could be some time later this year.

In the meantime, your client can allow email replies to be added to tickets by adding the email as Users or Contacts to their account via the client area. Or add them individually for access to a specific ticket via the CC Recipients list.

@sol2010 My guess is that perhaps an individual member of the mailing list tried replying to the ticket directly instead of via the distribution list? In which case if their email address wasn't on the CC list, it would not be considered an authorized email address.

30 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

potentially it could be some time later this year.

What? Isn't that a joke?

You release 3 - 4 versions in a year and do not get a "feature" implemented immediately? Roll it back, it isnt a Banking Software!  Everyone can write us an email! We live from it!

@brian! You are the last hero here! Is is possible to write a hook so that all emails are imported again? WHMCS seems to want to harm its customers instead of letting them succeed!

37 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

have passed on your use-cases here and the product team already have some ideas on how to improve the visibility in logs when this situation arises and incorporate importing emails from unknown senders into tickets associated with an account into the support system.

Making the failed import more visible in the log cannot be the solution. We can't look at the logs every few minutes to see if there is another entry!

58 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Implementing a multi-user system was our top-requested user feature, and so we are pleased to deliver this based on user feedback.

Do you have a link to the feature request that got upvoted enough to implement that?