Renewing domain at registrar

JoshuaR

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

Hello @JoshuaR,

So when I renew a domain at my registrar will WHMCS see that it has been renewed?  Will it also see that it isn't overdue anymore?

WHMCS will become aware that the Expiry Date of the domain name has been updated if the registrar module you are using supports the Domain Synchronisation feature and you have that enabled: https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Synchronisation

The Next Due Date of the domain name may also be updated using the Domain Synchronisation feature, specifically if the Sync Next Due Date option is enabled.

In respect of invoices, nothing will be done there, if a domain is renewed outside of WHMCS, the invoice generated within WHMCS will remain unpaid. Typically, when using WHMCS, you should leave WHMCS to control the renewal of domain names through a supported registrar: https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Registrars

If you are not using a registrar module and are handling everything manually, you will need to mark the invoice as paid, which will adjust the Next Due Date of the domain name, renew it with the registrar, then update the Expiry Date of the domain name manually within WHMCS.

I hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, WHMCS Alex said:

Hello @JoshuaR,

WHMCS will become aware that the Expiry Date of the domain name has been updated if the registrar module you are using supports the Domain Synchronisation feature and you have that enabled: https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Synchronisation

The Next Due Date of the domain name may also be updated using the Domain Synchronisation feature, specifically if the Sync Next Due Date option is enabled.

In respect of invoices, nothing will be done there, if a domain is renewed outside of WHMCS, the invoice generated within WHMCS will remain unpaid. Typically, when using WHMCS, you should leave WHMCS to control the renewal of domain names through a supported registrar: https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Registrars

If you are not using a registrar module and are handling everything manually, you will need to mark the invoice as paid, which will adjust the Next Due Date of the domain name, renew it with the registrar, then update the Expiry Date of the domain name manually within WHMCS.

I hope this helps.

Ah okay so yes it indeed changed the expiry date when renewing it with the registrar itself. Also I marked the invoice as paid and it then renewed the domain again when it already was renewed. 

I use Openprovider as registrar module.

Edited by JoshuaR

19 hours ago, JoshuaR said:

Also I marked the invoice as paid and it then renewed the domain again when it already was renewed. 

WHMCS renewing it again would be expected behaviour - Alex is right when he says that it's best to leave the renewal to WHMCS (when possible).

if you ever have to do this again, go to  setup -> general settings > domains and untick the Auto Renew on Payment checkbox before you mark the invoice as paid... WHMCS should then generate a todo item to remind you to renew the domain manually and not attempt to renew again with the registrar.

If you have someone that's late (some clients we give extra leeway to) and want to renew before payment, another method is to move the domain line item on the invoice (along with price) to a new line, save, then delete the original line it was copied from. That way you don't need to remember to put that check mark back (which affects *all* domains). That's the method we use, since it keeps the invoice due and won't renew the domain again if it's paid later. The following renewal/invoice is back to normal.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Management#Manually_Registering.2FRenewing_a_Domain

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

You can also use the dropdown box on an invoice to change it manually to "Paid", which does not result in automated actions, such as renewing the domain name.

Typically we don't advise doing this, but in the scenario being discussed here, where the Next Due Date and Expiry Date are being updated via the Domain Synchronisation feature, manually setting the invoice to Paid using the dropdown box and sending out the payment confirmation email would be a viable way to prevent the domain being renewed again.