Are there more than 7000 websites using WHMCS?

15 hours ago, NadalKumar said:

My simple research indicate that about 7,000 websites use WHMCS. Is that about right or is the scan way off? I was thinking at least 100,000 sites depended on this great software. Can anyone provide a proper or close to proper stat?

only WHMCS themselves could give you a figure, but for commercial reasons I doubt that they would... if memory serves, that 7,000 figure comes from a WHMCS hack where a lot of WHMCS domain details were released publicly and sold as a list.

Yes, cart.php isn't the best example, i have adjusted the search: https://www.google.com/search?q="powered+by+whmcompletesolution"+inurl%3Acontact.php
40300 branded installations looks realistic.

44 minutes ago, bear said:

Not a good metric to find how many are out there, and some will have paid for removing branding, so...

My post is about showing that there are certainly more than 7,000 installations. A Google search with the branding is just the easiest way to do that.
Exact numbers can only call WHMCS.

Edited by string

31 minutes ago, string said:

40300 branded installations looks realistic.

I just chose a results page at random from Google, and of the 10 sites listed on that page, 50% of them had invalid licenses - so any number suggested for valid installations would be at best a guesstimate and as I said originally, only WHMCS will know and they won't publish figures (certainly not on a regular basis as they wouldn't want the world knowing if their sales are increasing or decreasing!).

I agree, 7000 is impossible. My FileZilla alone has access to 500+ WHMCS installations and I am not that important 😀

I would use a different approach. We know that WHMCS is the leading platform for Hosting Providers. How many Hosting Provider are there in the world? My best guess would be 400k but there are also Web Agencies, developers, ISP, datacenters, companies that use WHMCS in unusual ways a lot of small one-man businesses. Let's suppose that they're 100k so we have an hypothetical total of 500k. Now here comes the difficult part. We need to split these 500k into the following categories:

• No panel at all or custom-built ones - 70% ?
  • WHMCS - 15% ?
  • Blesta, ClientExec, Hostbill, Others - 15% ?

It would be 75k for WHMCS but I'm just guessing numbers.

Edited by Kian

Another way:

If we assume that WHMCS itself does not use the option "Invoice # Incrementation" 71972 invoices were created between 03.01.2019 and 03.02.2019. Between 03.02.2019 and 03.03.2019 70696 invoices were created.
And yes, of course, no life time licenses are included and invoices are not only for the software "WHMCS", but also for the marketplace and addons.

Let's say, on average, 70000 invoices are created per month. As far i know, WHMCS does only offer monthly billing. 
I guess, 90% of these invoices are for WHMCS licenses. 

This brings me to a similar result as Kian and I think we are close to the real number. I think, in the best case, there are 20k additional (active) lifetime licenses.

I would have thought that there are more (licensed) WHMCS installations 😀

Edited by string

I guesstimate ~20,000 WHMCS installations. Builtwith is a cool tool and all but I don't think their dataset is updated. If I had to bet, half the collected websites are dead / offline too. True, some WHMCS website are not even being detected either. 100,000 websites is no joke...of the 20,000 active WHMCS too, I think only 250 or so have "serious customization" that you could actually learn from.

It's interesting and cool to see other organizations jump on the money pool and create success. WHMCS Modules is a very greedy, but very prosperous company that works ALOT with just WHMCS stuff. That's neat stuff...